advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Suggestions for fastest external HDD (non-SDD)?
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: March 19, 2020 12:14PM
Finally at the stage of video producing that I need a new small external USB drive. Given the cost difference, I'm realizing I need to go standard HD, not SDD.

Is there any speed differences in these guys? Any suggestions for models?

I'm looking at Seagate's 4TB and WD's unit. Both 4TB and both around $95.

Also, is there a write-to speed difference between say the 2TB and 4TB?

As my hip brother says, 'preesh for any suggestions.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Suggestions for fastest external HDD (non-SDD)?
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 19, 2020 12:28PM
is 4 TB the minimum? and $100 the max budget?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: March 19, 2020 12:30PM
jdc
is 4 TB the minimum? and $100 the max budget?

Not necessarily. 4TB gives me plenty of headroom for the next couple years, and I've always wondered in standard HDs if bigger means slower, which I could be completely wrong.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: datbeme
Date: March 19, 2020 12:40PM
You know you just can't buy one? Well, you can, but it's risky.

Either of those should be fine for what you're looking for. I have several of the Seagates in 2TB and 4TB variety.
Date: March 19, 2020 12:45PM
If speed is the ultimate goal, and sticking with HDDs -- I might be tempted to build a RAID 0 setup. But that would be double the cost for 4 TB, and about the same cost for 2 TB. No idea on the actual R/W speed difference -- might depend on a lot of factors. Like what kind of files are being transfered. Or if its just for "storage" as opposed to a drive that gets a lot of R/Ws

[www.bhphotovideo.com]

Otherwise I would bite the bullet and go minimum size SSD you can get. If you have USB C connections, getting a 10 GB/s PCIe drive would be 10X faster... time = money. But again, if just for storage, as opposed to lots or R/Ws... meh.

----

Posted by: hal
Date: March 19, 2020 12:48PM
As a basic rule - all things being equal, the bigger drive will be faster, but the fastest external would be a 7200RPM drive, the bigger the better (faster). Toshiba 5TB 7200RPM drives are VERY reliable (acc to backblaze) and are not that expensive since consumers simply don't know to buy them. They make a 7200RPM external too.
Date: March 19, 2020 12:53PM
hal
As a basic rule - all things being equal, the bigger drive will be faster, but the fastest external would be a 7200RPM drive, the bigger the better (faster). Toshiba 5TB 7200RPM drives are VERY reliable (acc to backblaze) and are not that expensive since consumers simply don't know to buy them. They make a 7200RPM external too.

Ive used that same thought process, assuming its still true.

Backblaze isnt using any 2.5" drives, so unclear to me if using 3.5" drive reliability rate translates to 2.5" drives.

----

Date: March 19, 2020 01:17PM
jdc
hal

Ive used that same thought process, assuming its still true.

Backblaze isnt using any 2.5" drives, so unclear to me if using 3.5" drive reliability rate translates to 2.5" drives.

I didn't say anything about 2.5" drives. BB used 5TB toshiba 3.5" drives and they had the fewest failures of all, so I bought a pair for a raid and they were rock solid. They sell the same drive in an external case too - NOT 2.5".
Date: March 19, 2020 01:19PM
So far, I've converted all my drives to manufacturer-enclosed SSDs, and I've grown accustomed to the super speeds, and total silence in my office. I may bite the bullet and just get a 2TB SSD.

Date: March 19, 2020 03:47PM
hal
I didn't say anything about 2.5" drives. BB used 5TB toshiba 3.5" drives and they had the fewest failures of all, so I bought a pair for a raid and they were rock solid. They sell the same drive in an external case too - NOT 2.5".

Yeah, not trying to say anything to the contrary... but tuqqer linked to portable units, so figuring he meant 2.5", thats all.

I have 3.5" Toshibas in my RAID too, based on all the reviews I read, solid choice.

----

Date: March 19, 2020 04:04PM
Oh, I see - I saw 'small drive' and was thinking about the volume - not the physical size.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: March 19, 2020 06:23PM
Those cheapie drives are not built for editing... they are typically slow 5400/5900RPM drives meant for consumer data needs... and even there, you get what you pay for.

if the budget is the budget and time isn't the value portion - I get it.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 20, 2020 04:16AM
Another Toshiba 7200 fan. Got a pair in Synology NAS.
Actually have an HGST Ultrastar 4TB still in use too!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 202
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020