advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
With working from home, what's best video conferencing system?
Posted by: Buck
Date: March 20, 2020 12:57PM
At work, we've discussed it for years, but never set it up. But we do a lot of conference calls.
Also for friends and family, including elderly.

What's a good solution for 5 to 10 people?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: With working from home, what's best video conferencing system?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 20, 2020 01:05PM
[thewirecutter.com]

Posted by: Acer
Date: March 20, 2020 01:12PM
Zoom has a 45 minute limit for more than 1 on 1, unless you have a subscription. I understand there has been some relaxing of those limits, but only for K-12 schools so far. But is pretty nice, having used it myself to deliver online presentations.

I've heard some positive experiences with Google Hangouts. I have not used it, but we're considering it for something coming up soon.

I've also used GoToMeeting, which worked well, but my work has a subscription and I understand it's pricier than Zoom.

Zoom and GTM require everyone to download client software, which can be problematic if you need to help far-away relatives install things.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: March 20, 2020 01:23PM
As shown in another topic, Zoom is so easy our grandchildren can use it.

Paul

Posted by: hal
Date: March 20, 2020 01:34PM
I love that picture paul...
Posted by: Bo
Date: March 20, 2020 03:18PM
I use google hangouts quite a bit and Zoom occasionally. Hangouts is not nearly as robust as Zoom but gets the job done quite effectively including allowing screensharing. We had a 12 person hangout yesterday without any issues.

If you go the hangouts route, I find it easiest to create the hangout in Google calendars by creating an event and you must click the "Add location or conferencing" button to enable the hangout. I don't bother adding guests here as it is cumbersome. Rather when you join the hangout you can click the invite people button right there to get a direct link then just text or e-mail that link to those you want on the hangout.

A bit confusing at first but actually pretty easy. More than happy to explain further if helpful.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 20, 2020 03:24PM
.....still using cans and string.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 20, 2020 03:28PM
work uses Cisco Webex. They have started to have real issues with Audio quality on their dialup. We abandoned their VOIP solution way before the Corvid-19 started. We don't use video, but we do screen share.
I've used Zoom with family. It's ok.
I personally prefer Facetime for one on one video calls with family- we all have iOS devices so that works.
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: March 20, 2020 03:41PM
We just did a 12 person facetime and it worked well.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 20, 2020 03:49PM
Zoom for work, FaceTime if everyone has macOS or iOS.
Posted by: Wags
Date: March 20, 2020 04:43PM
I'm currently in the process of setting video conferencing for my cab company. We've decided to go with Zoom as well. They have two options, $14.99/month and 19.99/month that comes with tech support. Seems very straight forward. One person pays the monthly, everyone else just DLs the app onto their phone, computer, or tablet. As above, there is a free version with a time limit on it.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 20, 2020 08:30PM
You might also consider slack, has some built-in.

Zoom and Facetime are still heads above the rest, the former works with all systems, the latter Apple ecosystem.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 20, 2020 08:32PM
I'd say for small groups there's no reason not to go with Zoom. I'm not saying it's not good for larger ones, but it's cheaper than GTM and for what? Easy to use and setup. More professional than Hangouts, less overhead than GTM probably.

I've worked in an environment where people use both GTM and Zoom and well ... people are used to having to download a client app first. it is what it is. The other day I joined yet another, Adobe Connect. One more app to download. Oh well.

Whatever happened to web apps / website access for these scenarios?

I've used a free Doodle account to ask for everyone's availability, but I realize an integrated solution from Outlook or whatever might be better there for knowing when people are available?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 197
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018