advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Tell me why I should care about LinkedIn?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 20, 2020 08:56PM
Even when I was working full time, over a decade ago, I was like, "meh." And then I'd get random emails about crap people posted about a million things I didn't care about ... all intended to show how work-related people who I knew are "into" certain business related topics about work. Ugh.

And so I got a job offer and thought, "Hey I should go there and start building up my social-work-presense and post a link to this good Freakanomics podcast related to working from home / social distancing and ...."

Go to LinkedIn, skip past 10 screens wanting to gain access to my Google accounts and suggest who else should joins an OMG I'm reminded how much worse these people are then even Facebook for wanting everyone-to-know-everyone.

Who CARES? Jeebus I don't even care enough to post my oh-so-erudite-pithy-comment there now.

It AIN'T RELEVANT, give it a rest, LinkedIn.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tell me why I should care about LinkedIn?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 20, 2020 09:11PM
Spamtastic Crap these days.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 20, 2020 09:12PM
If you don't gotta, don't.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 20, 2020 09:15PM
.....Abraham.....LinkedIn.......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 20, 2020 10:04PM
If you aren't using it there are place who will not hire you. It is a legitimate recruitment tool for some organizations. Also really good for networking to find jobs or an "in" somewhere. If you aren't job hunting it isn't as useful, but it is way easier to add people before you don't have a job than after.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: davester
Date: March 20, 2020 10:10PM
It's a pretty boring and uninteresting site. BUT...It's an excellent place to post your resume and link to people who might recommend you for things that you are good at. I don't use it for the social messaging. Also, I've been involved in some new hires and it is extremely useful to go to their linked page to find out more about them. If they have no linkedin presence then that is not a total black mark but it definitely makes me question whether they have actually been doing anything significant and whether they have a trustworthy resume.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 20, 2020 10:22PM
Many, many year ago I created a LinkedIn profile. I named it Bluto, Bluto had educational, business and finance success' enough to make your head spin - which it was incidentally intended to do.

Ten years later, I'm still getting come hitheremoticon-tv-015 invites from Linkers.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 20, 2020 10:53PM
Useful for business networking and some other communications. It at least has not devolved quite as much as some other social networks.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 21, 2020 12:26AM
davester
It's a pretty boring and uninteresting site. BUT...It's an excellent place to post your resume and link to people who might recommend you for things that you are good at. I don't use it for the social messaging. Also, I've been involved in some new hires and it is extremely useful to go to their linked page to find out more about them. If they have no linkedin presence then that is not a total black mark but it definitely makes me question whether they have actually been doing anything significant and whether they have a trustworthy resume.

Really? In what way would their resume be suspicious by the lack of another social media-esque website presence? What legitimacy does posting to LinkedIn have to do with checking references and calling previous employers?
Posted by: flightdelayedagain
Date: March 21, 2020 06:47AM
A few years ago, before I retired, I was encouraged to join so I complied. I was then bombarded with requests from people I never met to "recommend" them. I got lots of additional spam email as well. For me it was more of a nuisance than a productive tool.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 21, 2020 08:10AM
though the gig emails are useful to find companies to apply to.
seems that every one I apply to, must look at the cv and figure I ain't 20 and prolly won't work for $15.
just more social media blah, blah, blah.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: March 21, 2020 09:13AM
The only thing I've ever found it good for is as a digital business card.

I never post stuff there, never read others' posts. But I know some clients and prospects go there to check me out.

My take: if you're not in the market for a job or work, it's not necessary.

I'll accept most people's request for a connection, but I have a boilerplate response that says, thanks for the connection. Not interested in any services right now, but thank you.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 21, 2020 09:38AM
I joined back at the turn of the century to know when to leave the ship.

I joined and linked up and watched to see when the Salary stared making new friends and where.

Now it is a glorified Facebook.

My rule is if I do not recognize you on the street we do not link up.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: March 21, 2020 10:36AM
It was interesting when I was working, but never used it to switch jobs. I retired when my employer decided to RIF me as I was close to retirement anyway. (They realized their mistake and asked me to come back, but retirement was much better and profitable for me.) Anyway, got tired of all the SPAM and "job offers", so I just deleted my LinkedIn account. Problem solved.
Posted by: mspace
Date: March 21, 2020 11:29AM
As freelancers, it has been an excellent tool for researching companies and staying connected to contacts, etc. We use it all the time to connect to potential employers, etc.
But it is a TOOL. We use it that way and don't get into the FB-esque aspects of it.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 21, 2020 11:58AM
C(-)ris
If you aren't using it there are place who will not hire you. It is a legitimate recruitment tool for some organizations. Also really good for networking to find jobs or an "in" somewhere. If you aren't job hunting it isn't as useful, but it is way easier to add people before you don't have a job than after.

but it is way easier to add people before you don't have a job than after.

Not sure what that last part means. My experience was that after you've joined a company or other network, you then have greater access to them.

tuqqer
The only thing I've ever found it good for is as a digital business card. ...

Several years ago, when researching/soaking in other people's strategies I cam across a suggestion to do it like this:

Have a simple, plain website (perhaps yourname.com, if possible) that really only contains 3 elements:

1) a link to where your hobby(s) are some personal stuff is
2) a link to your professional (working) identity
3) a link to your potential professional (working) identity (like a CV or resume)

Visitors can go directly to the places they want, or all 3 if they want a more rounded picture of you.

I never did that, but it still seems interesting without having to send them to a canned solution.
Posted by: August West
Date: March 21, 2020 01:56PM
I know several younger people who have found multiple jobs through LinkedIn. I was somewhat surprised, but no longer as I've witnessed their success first hand. I have received job offers and have been hired through LinkedIn. This is a harbinger of the future. One of my projects involved labor market analysis, and I've become friendly with labor market experts. Current hypothesis is that we are all eventually headed (over the next 100 years) to being our own agents and selling our skills to the market.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 133
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020