advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The Bidet Movement
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: March 21, 2020 11:52AM
One of the great things about travel was renting apartments in Europe and Australia that had bidets. Once those are experienced, it's really hard to go back to ancient ways.

Since 1992, I've installed these $30 toilet-seat bidets wherever I've lived. Super easy to put in and take out (if you move).

With COVID-19, the socio-politico-economico-ecological ramifications of the lowly toilet paper have now taken front stage. May I suggest that it's time to get out of the dark ages and into the bidet age.

I've used Luxe bidets forever, but they now have quite a bit of competition and even a bit of newer technology. Any of them will work just fine.

No one ever said, "I tried a bidet, but I like the wipe-wipe-wipe better."

I hope this seriously becomes a worldwide movement.

Let the joking commence.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The Bidet Movement
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 21, 2020 11:53AM
....bowel.....movement.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 21, 2020 11:55AM
Isn't it cold?
Date: March 21, 2020 11:57AM
I almost private messaged NewtonMP2100, to kickstart the jokes.

The term, Acer, is "wonderfully bracing." Kinda tightens everything up again.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 21, 2020 11:58AM
I’d there a dryer on them?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: davester
Date: March 21, 2020 12:02PM
Acer
Isn't it cold?

Surprisingly, it doesn't much matter. Your butt is not particularly sensitive to cold, and the water sitting in the system is at room temperature. It's not like you're spraying ice water on yourself. That said, we did move upscale and replaced our Luxe cold water bidet with a fancy Toto. The warm water is slightly more pleasant but it's not a necessity.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: March 21, 2020 12:12PM
rgG

On the complex ones, yes. But on these simple units, no. It ties only to your existing water line with a T directly under the toilet tank. So only water.

And that's where the 20% toilet paper comes in, mainly just to pat yourself dry afterwards. Some prefer to do one wipe before the bidet, then pat dry afterwards. Either way, the drop in TP usage is pleasantly shocking.

Also, those TP consumption numbers are quite sobering.

Posted by: WHiiP
Date: March 21, 2020 12:13PM
rgG

It's more of a drip dry movement, too.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 21, 2020 12:27PM
We've thought about this but haven't yet made the jump in part because we haven't experienced one yet. Also, the 'nicer' devices look pretty complicated. And we have kids - how would they get along with this device?

Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 21, 2020 12:27PM
I'd be game to try it, but it seems all the Amazon cheapies are out of stock, and I'm NOT going to venture outside to a Lowe's or similar for one. Also, I might have concerns about using one with the issues we have here with regard to water quality ... we have frequent boil water advisories, and in that situation, I'm not sure you can use one... so you'd have to use TP anyway. Lastly, I've mentioned that for those of us who have... digestive issues... I'd worry about being able to keep it clean.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: March 21, 2020 12:30PM
mattkime
We've thought about this but haven't yet made the jump in part because we haven't experienced one yet. Also, the 'nicer' devices look pretty complicated. And we have kids - how would they get along with this device?

I've experienced the Japanese full treatment centers and while nice, they kind of take away from the whole purpose. After 25 years of doing this, I've found simple is best. And kids actually love to learn how to use it, which is super easy. It's one gentle turn of the water flow, which aims a bit of water towards the butt. Really no different than learning to wash ones hands.

Date: March 21, 2020 12:35PM
PeterB
I'd be game to try it, but it seems all the Amazon cheapies are out of stock, and I'm NOT going to venture outside to a Lowe's or similar for one. Also, I might have concerns about using one with the issues we have here with regard to water quality ... we have frequent boil water advisories, and in that situation, I'm not sure you can use one... so you'd have to use TP anyway. Lastly, I've mentioned that for those of us who have... digestive issues... I'd worry about being able to keep it clean.

You'll find no issues with cleaning, even when during periods where it's not a plop drop but an explosion bomb. You'll find you can both gently clean your own underside by moving slightly around so that the water cleans more than the bullseye. And the bidet comes with a small door that keeps the nozzle covered except during use, so cleaning the bowl from neutron bombs is no different than any other time.

Truly, give it a go. You won't regret it. And yeah, I noticed that for the first time in history, Amazon and other sellers are running out of bidets. Keep looking around, you'll find the good $35 unites restocked in no time.

Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 21, 2020 12:46PM
tuqqer
PeterB

You'll find no issues with cleaning, even when during periods where it's not a plop drop but an explosion bomb. You'll find you can both gently clean your own underside by moving slightly around so that the water cleans more than the bullseye. And the bidet comes with a small door that keeps the nozzle covered except during use, so cleaning the bowl from neutron bombs is no different than any other time.

Truly, give it a go. You won't regret it. And yeah, I noticed that for the first time in history, Amazon and other sellers are running out of bidets. Keep looking around, you'll find the good $35 unites restocked in no time.

But what if you are frequently producing, uhhh... neutron bombs, as you so elegantly put it?

And I'd still be hesitant to be spraying NOLA city water into the bunghole. smiling bouncing smiley

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 21, 2020 12:50PM
I was an inch away from buying one a few months ago, right before the, you know, hit the fan.
Date: March 21, 2020 12:53PM
.....I feel a.....but(t)......coming.......

Posted by: stephen
Date: March 21, 2020 01:02PM
I've had the Genie Bidet for a year or two. Super pleased.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: March 21, 2020 01:02PM
PeterB
tuqqer
PeterB

But what if you are frequently producing, uhhh... neutron bombs, as you so elegantly put it?

And I'd still be hesitant to be spraying NOLA city water into the bunghole. smiling bouncing smiley

Apparently one's bunghole is far better equipped to deal with the variable quality of NOLA city water than one's mouth is: The story of a family that survived six weeks at sea in a lifeboat and managed to stay hydrated by using bilge water enemas-

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: steve...
Date: March 21, 2020 01:08PM
There must be a big demand for them.

I placed an order for Luxe Bidet Neo 120 in early March for about $48.

A few days later it had not shipped but the price was dropped to $38, so I cancelled the first order and ordered again at the lower price.

It still has not shipped and Amazon is saying:
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. Please check back again.

They currently list it as unavailable.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 21, 2020 01:31PM
i just don't get how it saves TP. my mom was the type who would clean the house before the cleaning lady came. genetically i think i'd be applying the same principal to this, umm, situation. thus it seems more time consuming.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: DP
Date: March 21, 2020 01:41PM
I just quit pooping.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: March 21, 2020 01:43PM
.....another option is to buy adult diapers.....there is no run on them.....

Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: March 21, 2020 01:47PM
graylocks
I just don't get how it saves TP. My mom was the type who would clean the house before the cleaning lady came. Genetically I think I'd be applying the same principal to this, umm, situation. Thus it seems more time consuming.

1. Business
2. Bidet
3. Quick dab of affected area with small amount of toilet paper, a couple of sheets tops versus regular amount, to dry
4. Proofread TP used in dabbing for errors; If clean, you're done.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Date: March 21, 2020 01:50PM
Thrift Store Scott

1. Business
2. Bidet
3. Quick dab of affected area with small amount of toilet paper, a couple of sheets tops versus regular amount, to dry

Best use of language I've seen in awhile. I may steal some of this.

Date: March 21, 2020 02:11PM
I proofread my TP and it says I may start the day feeling a little insecure about everything going on around me. The increased pressures of work might have strained my nerves a little. However, a lot of love and attention from friends, children, and the special person in my life should have me feeling better about everything in no time. In the evening, I should relax and watch a video with my mate.
Posted by: jonny
Date: March 21, 2020 02:19PM
graylocks
i just don't get how it saves TP. my mom was the type who would clean the house before the cleaning lady came. genetically i think i'd be applying the same principal to this, umm, situation. thus it seems more time consuming.
If you only use 3 squares of TP to wipe, then it won't.
Posted by: Janit
Date: March 21, 2020 02:36PM
tuqqer
Thrift Store Scott

1. Business
2. Bidet

Best use of language I've seen in awhile. I may steal some of this.

agree smiley
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 21, 2020 02:49PM
“ those TP consumption numbers are quite sobering.”

Very much so.

“ And we have kids - how would they get along with this device?”

Hours of fun! smiling smiley
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 21, 2020 03:06PM
We were in Guatemala for several months last year and again this year. The city where we were based requires that you not dispose of your TP in the toilet but rather in the trash. Knowing this, we brought a bidet which was a great solution. Being rather anal, I brought eight bidets this semester. The first from this year went to our landlady, with me doing the easy install, who had tried out the one from last year and a second, by request, to her maid who loved it. The other six were for various people at the school where we were based. None were put into service, not even one that had been requested. Some people, besides me, are just odd.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 21, 2020 03:19PM

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: March 21, 2020 03:28PM
Filliam H. Muffman

You mock, but the shower-head style of bidet is popular in some countries. Perhaps a little more refined than those in your images, TBH.
Posted by: jonny
Date: March 21, 2020 03:35PM
[www.facebook.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 21, 2020 04:21PM
I thought the subject line was genius.

I skipped most of the posts because, well, they don't pass the dinner table topic test.

Then there was TSS' brilliant points of order.

And the pics made me LLOL, especially the Harpo pic.

You mock...

It was a funny joke. Maybe mocking, maybe not. Still funny.

but the shower-head style of bidet is popular in some countries. Perhaps a little more refined than those in your images, TBH.

So... not really the same thing then.

And not funny at all.

But slightly edifying in a buzz-kill kind of way.

(No offense, Buzz.)

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: DP
Date: March 21, 2020 04:56PM
NewtonMP2100
.....another option is to buy adult diapers.....there is no run on them.....

This!!!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 21, 2020 05:32PM
There has been a run on stockings.
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: March 21, 2020 10:12PM
Funny coincidence. I ordered one that came in today and my wife installed it. We went for hi tech. Adjustable pressure, temperature, position of nozzle, heated seat, carbon filtering of the air before it comes out, then adjustable temperature of the air blowing you dry. You can also adjust the width if the spray or make it oscillate. It cleans the nozzle before and after every use and you can hit a button and have it sanitize the nozzle. We got it on ebay as an open box never used from the manufacturer for noticeably less than half what others were selling it for. It is the Brondell Swash 1000.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2020 10:14PM by Dennis R.
Date: March 21, 2020 10:18PM
.....break that sucker in.......

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: March 22, 2020 11:06AM
Times like these I'm grateful the toilet is next to the bathtub.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 22, 2020 03:07PM
Been using one for about 3 years, got it on Woot, shipped through Amazon, IIRC. The seat hinge did break a few months ago, and the replacement is about a quarter of the cost of the whole unit. If my gluing doesn't hold, I'll probably pony up the funds for the new seat.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018