advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA: gun stores are selling out
Posted by: wowzer
Date: March 21, 2020 07:22PM
Just in case you don’t already own a firearm, but want one, hurry. The gun stores have been selling out.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: gun stores are selling out
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 21, 2020 07:29PM
Just got an e-mail from a former co-worker who is a gun dealer. He is out of ammo, but only has 12 and 20 guage home defense shotguns left. A number of other dealers have tried to buy his whole stock at a huge profit, but Bill refused them all, and is selling them to his customers at his regular markup,

I remember gougers back when Obama was elected. I have never done business with them since. Raising your prices proportionally with the wholesale cost is reasonable.
Date: March 21, 2020 07:32PM
Ammo is also running out. Good thing I got lots. Wife and I did sporting clays today.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 21, 2020 07:33PM
Thoughts and prayers for those unable to buy guns. I know for a fact that a lot of firepower can kill a virus but it’s hard to get a virus to hold still long enough and there are so many.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 21, 2020 07:39PM
Friend in San Francisco bought a Glock (?) about 2 years ago. He is prepared for riots!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 21, 2020 07:43PM

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: March 21, 2020 07:54PM
It's funny, about the time Walking Dead came out, I bought two hand guns (mainly because a buddy of mine was getting some too). One is a 9mm made by Springfield Armory. The other is a Smith & Wesson 357 Magnum with a 7" barrel and can hold 7 rounds as well. Odd gun for sure. It can fire 38 Special rounds. Figured I can use it for hunting in a pinch as well as take out zombies at slightly longer ranges. Got tons of ammo for both also (probably 2000 rounds....they'll probably go bad before I have a chance to fire them at the range).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2020 07:57PM by Carnos Jax.
PSA: I have more than enough.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 21, 2020 08:30PM
I think it's silly to worry about being armed or unarmed.

It's not Mad Max time yet.

But then do have plenty of guns and ammo, so I could be biased.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: March 21, 2020 08:33PM
it’s hard to get a virus to hold still long enough and there are so many.

And unless you can get within 21' of one, you'll never get it with a knife.

For those in CA, there is no 'hurry' when it comes to buying firearms, unless you want to color outside the law.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: SDGuy
Date: March 21, 2020 08:35PM
A bunch of people who have probably never touched a gun before now owning anything more than a water pistol scares me more than the virus...
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: March 21, 2020 08:37PM
If things are bad enough that I need to own a gun...just shoot me and get it over with please.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 21, 2020 08:37PM
You are 100% correct. They are coming, they are right down the street. They may look like your neighbor, Mrs Cramer, but it's all a clever deception.
Lock and load, boys.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 21, 2020 09:21PM
Glad we don't have too many second amendment crazies in our state.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 21, 2020 10:05PM
Fools and their money soon depart. Rinse and repeat.

I'd be curious to learn how many hoarders took 10 minutes out of their day to complete the 2020 Census online in order to help their community retain access to whatever resources may already exist for their "way of life."
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 21, 2020 10:21PM
Carnos Jax
It's funny, about the time Walking Dead came out, I bought two hand guns (mainly because a buddy of mine was getting some too). One is a 9mm made by Springfield Armory. The other is a Smith & Wesson 357 Magnum with a 7" barrel and can hold 7 rounds as well. Odd gun for sure. It can fire 38 Special rounds. Figured I can use it for hunting in a pinch as well as take out zombies at slightly longer ranges. Got tons of ammo for both also (probably 2000 rounds....they'll probably go bad before I have a chance to fire them at the range).

You won't live long enough for modern ammo to "go bad". I've still got some WWI dated .30-06 around here someplace... Last time I fired it, I had 100% good rounds. It's got the old mercuric corrosive primers, so I probably won't fire the rest, but it's still good, 100 years on.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: March 21, 2020 10:26PM
Did not know that.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 21, 2020 11:09PM

Scope (similar to above) was unwieldy on the Ruger Redhawk...

So moved it to the S&W 686 (above) in late 80's/early 90's... and it hasn't been out of its case in about 15 years.
Loaned the Redhawk to a friend immediately after the '94 earthquake to protect his quake-damaged home; where it's still on duty (again).

Nowadays we'd have to use the S&W Model 41, (like above) super-duper target pistol, for 10 shot protection....

or maybe the Ruger rimfire .22LR/.22MAG plinker....
to slow 'em down until the neighbors w/ heavier artillery can stop 'em.

I really had no idea something like COVID-19 would be the cause for a run on guns and ammo. I've seen it after earthquakes, fires, riots, 9/11 type events, but never woulda thought being confined to home because of a virus would trigger such a similar reaction. I really hope not to see any virus related gun violence on the news. At this point, I'm still not sure what people are preparing for, or against w/ this current arming of the masses. Explanations appreciated.
Peace out.
==
Date: March 21, 2020 11:11PM
......rim it.....

Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 21, 2020 11:12PM
I prefer crossbows. [www.youtube.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: MikeF
Date: March 21, 2020 11:35PM
Chef's knife for that up close and personal feeling.
Date: March 21, 2020 11:38PM

Date: March 22, 2020 12:01AM
Buzz
... At this point, I'm still not sure what people are preparing for, or against w/ this current arming of the masses. Explanations appreciated.
Peace out.
==

Hmm, can’t pretend to explain it necessarily, but I’ll note that businesses, schools, and every kind of social event imaginable has been negatively impacted all over, including remote areas unaffected by the virus.

And that’s before you consider the hoarding of food and paper products.

If none of that resonates it boggles the mind as to why something as simple as a local earthquake or whatever would make people panic.

Everyone needs a hobby tho. These days more than ever. There are only so many shows on Netflix after all.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: March 22, 2020 12:21AM
deckeda
Buzz
... At this point, I'm still not sure what people are preparing for, or against w/ this current arming of the masses. Explanations appreciated.
Peace out.
==

Hmm, can’t pretend to explain it necessarily, but I’ll note that businesses, schools, and every kind of social event imaginable has been negatively impacted all over, including remote areas unaffected by the virus.

And that’s before you consider the hoarding of food and paper products.

If none of that resonates it boggles the mind as to why something as simple as a local earthquake or whatever would make people panic.

Everyone needs a hobby tho. These days more than ever. There are only so many shows on Netflix after all.

If you've seen the movie "The Happening", the scene where Mark Wahlberg & Company approach the boarded up and possibly abandoned old house which turns out not to be abandoned after all would seem to be the relevant one (I tried to find a clip but couldn't). In short, people are letting the deadly combo of paranoid delusions and adolescent cowboy vigilante fantasies get the better of them and are allowing themselves to seriously entertain the notion that roving bands of rusty-butted marauders will be coming for their toilet paper hoard any day now, and that said toilet paper hoard must be protected with extreme prejudice and as much firepower as possible.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 22, 2020 12:30AM
Well If I don't protect my toilet paper, who will? By the time the police respond the tissue will be either all gone or all used!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2020 12:32AM by RgrF.
Date: March 22, 2020 12:33AM
.....read......'Lord of the Flies'......society is devolving to.......

Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 22, 2020 02:56AM
Carnos Jax

keep the ammo cool and dry. it will outlast you and likely your kids. still some WW I ammo out there that still goes bang. I have a bunch of M1 Garand ammo my dad brought home from his days at a range master at Ft Lewis as Korea was winding down. Looks fine.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 22, 2020 06:02AM

To all my liberal friends living amount the zombies.

if I were to do it all again this would be my weapon of choice.

Shotguns do not penetrate your wall, the neighbors wall, the neighbors wall, etc.
This is a hand held 410 shotgun that does not hurt to fire it. I call it a night stand piece.
May not fit in your glove box.

Seriously, knowing what I know now, this is a good home/car defense.

It does not go in your pocket.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 22, 2020 07:55AM
davester
Glad we don't have too many second amendment crazies in our state.

Don’t be so sure about that. A lot of gun owners don’t publicize their position for any number of reasons. When an anti 2A state like NJ has a run on guns and ammo, it says something.
Date: March 22, 2020 08:26AM
NJ fully supports 2A by definition. It’s literally in the Constitution, for all states. There can’t be “anti 2A states.” Reconsider your sources again.
Date: March 22, 2020 08:31AM
LOL Bernie, a 410 is less of a night stand piece and more of a room redecorator. Nah, the group that “sees zombies” everywhere has apparently been misidentified.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 22, 2020 08:55AM
Thrift Store Scott
In short, people are letting the deadly combo of paranoid delusions and adolescent cowboy vigilante fantasies get the better of them and are allowing themselves to seriously entertain the notion that roving bands of rusty-butted marauders will be coming for their toilet paper hoard any day now, and that said toilet paper hoard must be protected with extreme prejudice and as much firepower as possible.

A perfect description of the situation.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 22, 2020 09:14AM
nuts smiley

dunno smiley
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 22, 2020 09:14AM
Buzz - model 41 ! My grandfather gave me one when I turned 16. Both barrels and the muzzle brake. A very accurate weapon that actually fits my smaller hands and is very accurate. And looks really nasty too.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 22, 2020 10:15AM
> In short, people are letting the deadly combo of paranoid delusions and adolescent cowboy vigilante fantasies get the better of them and are allowing themselves to seriously entertain the notion that roving bands of rusty-butted marauders will be coming for their toilet paper hoard any day now, and that said toilet paper hoard must be protected with extreme prejudice and as much firepower as possible.

Cute, but hardly accurate.

[en.wikipedia.org]

It doesn't take much to set people off. If there is a riot comparable to the L.A. Rodney King riots, 911 isn't going to be a solution. I have enough firepower to turn back angry rioters. Whatever it takes to protect my family.

I'm thinking if Reginald Denny had been packing, he would have used it. I'd like to think I would too, in that situation.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: March 22, 2020 11:00AM
Gee, Scott, didn’t you know that race riots and panic and pandemics were pretty much the same circumstance? Didn’t you know that people are inherently angry and violent, so the only solution is to declare that in order to make it so?
Date: March 22, 2020 11:09AM
....this hasn't been moved to the other side.....yet.....???

Posted by: pdq
Date: March 22, 2020 12:06PM
The bad news is that the number of guns in the US considerably exceeds the total number of people.

The worse news is that the absolute number of gun-related deaths in the US set a record in 2017 (the most recent year I could find):

The better news is that only 30% of Americans own those guns:

(...most own more - sometimes many more - than one gun:

...but the percentage of households that do not own a gun appear to be (verrry slowly!) headed down:

Vote to move.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: March 22, 2020 12:31PM
Do you believe any gun owner would answer such a survey truthfully?
Date: March 22, 2020 12:38PM
I typically don't discuss firearems here as it makes a lot of people uncomfortable and makes them what to lash out as anti-gun nuts.

But I will take a moment to comment - those are some nice firearms, Buzz.

I've got a 4 and 6 66, a 6 686, and a 6 629. That's it for my stainless collection.

I'm tempted to find a 657. The Model 57 was a favorite of mine for a long time and is really easy to shoot well, a big plus for that caliber. I don't remember the 657 being available in when I got the 629.

No Model 41. The closest is a Browning Buckmark that's a lot of fun to shoot.

I've never owned a SA wheel-gun, and the only Ruger is a 10/22, with a bull barrel, bipod, and 4x scope. IT'S also a lot of fun to shoot.

I wish I'd got a Mini-14 when they were reasonable.

Ok, I think that's it for me in the MRF Gun Corner.

We now return you to our regular programming, COVID Gossip, already in progress.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2020 12:54PM by RAMd®d.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: March 22, 2020 12:49PM
MikeF
Chef's knife for that up close and personal feeling.

If you stab someone with a kitchen knife. You are liable to slice your hand wide open if hit a bone .
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: March 22, 2020 01:07PM
Rick-o
> In short, people are letting the deadly combo of paranoid delusions and adolescent cowboy vigilante fantasies get the better of them and are allowing themselves to seriously entertain the notion that roving bands of rusty-butted marauders will be coming for their toilet paper hoard any day now, and that said toilet paper hoard must be protected with extreme prejudice and as much firepower as possible.

Cute, but hardly accurate.

[en.wikipedia.org]

It doesn't take much to set people off. If there is a riot comparable to the L.A. Rodney King riots, 911 isn't going to be a solution. I have enough firepower to turn back angry rioters. Whatever it takes to protect my family.

I'm thinking if Reginald Denny had been packing, he would have used it. I'd like to think I would too, in that situation.

Fair enough, but I'm guessing that you have been using firearms for some time now, that you are familiar with the rules and procedures for their safe use and storage, and that you regularly target practice with yours as well as maintain them properly. The people I was describing are the ones who run out and panic buy weapons because they've watched one too many zombie apocalypse shows but have no practical experience with any aspect of owning or using firearms.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 22, 2020 02:37PM
cbelt3
Buzz - model 41 ! My grandfather gave me one when I turned 16. Both barrels and the muzzle brake. A very accurate weapon that actually fits my smaller hands and is very accurate. And looks really nasty too.

When I was a kid, one of my dad's business partners got a Model 41 shortly after they were intro'ed, and brought it w/ him when we all went camping in the Sierras. After getting to shoot it for the first time, I promised myself I would eventually get one, too. We had a vintage High Standard .22 pistol back then, that I thought paled on comparison to Bill's Model 41.

Gotta say though, the Model 41 turned out to be more of a commitment than I expected.... it LOVES expense target grade ammo, much more than Walmart sale bricks. With the good stuff, the 41 can tickle FDR's nose on a dime all day long, while w/ the cheap stuff, you're lucky to group inside a quarter. Surprisingly, the Ruger SA .22, shown in the same post, can actually outshoot the 41 w/ the cheap stuff, meaning the 41 has to survive on an expensive diet.

Don't ever sell grampa's 41; pass it down for as many generations as it will last. It's one of S&W's all time classics.
==
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 22, 2020 02:40PM
SDGuy
A bunch of people who have probably never touched a gun before now owning anything more than a water pistol scares me more than the virus...

Same here, but I believe that most of these purchases are by people who already own a firearm.

And seems to be supported by the stats in pdq's post.

But prior ownership is not the same as proficiency.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 22, 2020 03:07PM
Dammit.

I was just in the market for a gun store and now they're all sold out.
Date: March 22, 2020 04:55PM
Bernie

To all my liberal friends living amount the zombies.

if I were to do it all again this would be my weapon of choice.

Shotguns do not penetrate your wall, the neighbors wall, the neighbors wall, etc.
This is a hand held 410 shotgun that does not hurt to fire it. I call it a night stand piece.
May not fit in your glove box.

Seriously, knowing what I know now, this is a good home/car defense.

It does not go in your pocket.

Bernie,

Avoid the judge as the likely shooting distance for such a gun doesn't lend itself well to 410 shot.

You be the judge:

Judge Part 1

Judge Part 2

Part 3

Info on the .410:
410 Shotguns

Date: March 22, 2020 05:00PM
Buzz

Nowadays we'd have to use the S&W Model 41, (like above) super-duper target pistol, for 10 shot protection....

==

Nice .41! I use a Ruger Mark II and IV for NRA target shooting. My buddy uses his .41. The interesting thing is that the Ruger is better with a red dot, as the .41 is not tapped. Given it's heritage, I think it would be heresy to tap it for a red dot.

I have an Altamont grip for each of my rugers (stock photo but looks like mine):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2020 05:02PM by wowzer.
Date: March 22, 2020 05:11PM
In case you aren't aware about what happens during riots and mass civil unrest:

Koreatown

After seeing this (and other such videos), I realized that police are completely ineffectual against mobs. I guess you are either a boy scout (or not), "Be Prepared!"

I strive to be prepared.

Date: March 22, 2020 05:31PM
Buzz
We had a vintage High Standard .22 pistol back then, that I thought paled on comparison to Bill's Model 41.

Gotta say though, the Model 41 turned out to be more of a commitment than I expected.... it LOVES expense target grade ammo, much more than Walmart sale bricks. With the good stuff, the 41 can tickle FDR's nose on a dime all day long, while w/ the cheap stuff, you're lucky to group inside a quarter. Surprisingly, the Ruger SA .22, shown in the same post, can actually outshoot the 41 w/ the cheap stuff, meaning the 41 has to survive on an expensive diet.

Don't ever sell grampa's 41; pass it down for as many generations as it will last. It's one of S&W's all time classics.
==

I heard good things about the accuracy of High Standards made in New Haven, CT. I think the Ruger Mark IV is fairly accurate gun and on-par with the 41. (just my opinion).

Posted by: SDGuy
Date: March 22, 2020 06:02PM
wowzer
In case you aren't aware about what happens during riots and mass civil unrest:

Koreatown

After seeing this (and other such videos), I realized that police are completely ineffectual against mobs. I guess you are either a boy scout (or not), "Be Prepared!"

I strive to be prepared.

From the video:
"...at the beginning, I could see the LAPD vehicle with like three, four officers were there...but as soon as the gun fighting started they ran away..."

I've always wondered why no Law Enforcement Officers were charged for running away and abandoning civilians to their own fates when this all happened.
California Penal Code Section 410:
"If a magistrate or officer, having notice of an unlawful or riotous assembly...neglects to proceed to the place of assembly, or as near thereto as he can with safety, and to exercise the authority with which he is invested for suppressing the same and arresting the offenders, he is guilty of a misdemeanor."
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 22, 2020 06:28PM
SDGuy;
The Supreme Court has ruled SEVERAL times that the police have NO duty to protect individuals... only "society".

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 378
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018