advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Should people be out buying things like garden supplies?
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 22, 2020 01:38PM
The store I work at, many of you know where that is, did a huge amount of business in the garden department yesterday. I texted a friend and asked.

I have seen the same surge in buying in my department, paint. Most of these are not essential purchases. Many people freely admit that they are going to be stuck at home so they want stuff to do and to do it with.

I have taken off two weeks from work because of the tremendous amount of people in the store. I have been recovering from a cold and sinus infection and felt I needed not to be potentially exposed with my immune system compromised. Also, I am 63 and my husband is 72 with underlying heart issues.

I think places like hardware stores do need to stay open, because homeowners and contractors do need access to certain things we carry. If your water heater craps out or your fridge dies or your pipe springs a leak, you need to be able to get supplies, but should people be out in LARGE numbers buying mulch and picking paint colors for the bathroom?

I feel like this non essential shopping is putting people at risk, employees as well as other shoppers.
Maybe I am wrong, which is why I ask.

I am waiting till my two weeks is closer to being up to decide if I should stay home after that. I think there will either be more restrictions put in place, like limiting the number of people in the store at any given time, or things will be getting better, which unfortunately I doubt.

I may ask again whether you guys think I should extend my leave or not. Luckily the company has said we can take time off without fear of losing our jobs. They are also giving extra sick time to everyone. I just want to make a responsible decision for me and my husband.

BTW, today is our 30 year anniversary. Guess we will get special take out tonight, to celebrate. grinning smiley

Sorry for the long post.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Should people be out buying things like garden supplies?
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 22, 2020 01:51PM
Maybe they're preparing to grow their own food.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 22, 2020 02:04PM
First off, congrats Rhonda, on the anniversary. grinning smiley

Second ... down here in NOLA, we've been put into a mandatory shelter-in-place order from the mayor (not dissimilar from what we'd be doing if a hurricane).** We're supposed to be not congregating in groups, staying at home, and only making trips out for essentials. The question is, what one person considers essential versus another person... I don't think any of the things you mentioned are essential. People are stupid and rather than staying in as the mayor has prescribed, they are surely going out for nonessentials, as your customers have apparently been doing. We're seeing some of the highest rates of infection and death here, and interestingly enough (at least from the epidemiology perspective) it seems to be having a mortality peak in the 40-49 and 50-59 age groups. **edit, we've just been told that the entire state will have a stay-home order as of tomorrow.

TL;DR, I think you are not wrong in your thinking.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2020 02:13PM by PeterB.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: March 22, 2020 02:21PM
Interesting. But somehow your take out order is essential?
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 22, 2020 02:25PM
Happy 30th!

One of the most special women on planet earth works at that Home Depot. I hope everybody shopping there recognizes it.
Posted by: surfer33
Date: March 22, 2020 02:31PM
Happy Anniversary!
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 22, 2020 02:40PM
PeterW

I would put food in the "essential" category. Take-out or delivery are better options that actually going into a grocery store or restaurant. Getting take-out or delivery also has the advantage of funding people who, right now, sorely need the business... and though it's more expensive, by your not cooking, it does extend your supply at home. Lastly, it's their 30th, I would think that that alone merits her treating the two of them and not having to cook.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Carm
Date: March 22, 2020 02:41PM
I think that people need to find normalcy and doing things around the house helps them. My wife and I are doing stuff around the house also because there are few other things to do.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 22, 2020 02:46PM
I think you're making the right choice. If I were you I'd stay away from work until this whole thing blows over.

As for shoppers - if this is their one trip out in addition to groceries and they're otherwise quarantined then I think its okay. If they're going through a never ending list of "just one more trip" then its dangerorus.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 22, 2020 02:48PM
I have had the same thought, Rg, and I did not go for exactly that reason. In fact, i've been itching to go to the nursery, which is mostly outdoors, of course, and would not be nearly as confined as going to the big box store. Even still, I have avoided the temptation. If this turns into many weeks, I think I will go, because gardening is one of those things that can be done at home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2020 02:48PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: March 22, 2020 02:48PM
Many congratulations Rhonda.

I would like some garden supplies to keep me occupied but I will be phoning the relevant stores tomorrow to see if they have a system in place for selling at a distance. Maybe pay over the phone and leave it where I can collect.

Paul

Posted by: steve...
Date: March 22, 2020 02:55PM
Happy 30th Wedding Anniversary Rhonda & Spouse!!!

thumbs up

I'm waiting until Monday to go to my local store - when it won't be crowded. I was in the garden department about 9 days ago and I was the only one there (I am still amazed my little town even has a Home Depot).

Northern California Coast
Posted by: d4
Date: March 22, 2020 02:57PM
The propane guy at my local garden center was super busy yesterday. The guy behind me had 6 tanks to fill. And two more cars were pulling up to the refill area as I was leaving. In hindsight, since I was there anyway, I should've got some lawn soil for over-seeding. Damnit!

Date: March 22, 2020 04:05PM
PeterW

Food is essential, but my order is not.
We will only be in long enough to pick up the order. That is the minimum interaction we can have.
I do also think it would be good to help keep restaurants open. They have actually been encouraging people to do take out.
If people could phone in all their orders to the paint department and all I had to do was leave them on the desk, I might still be at work, but that doesn’t work.
I am a little conflicted about going to pick up. Previously we have only done drive through, which again is about as low contact as possible.
The people I was seeing on my last day at work were also bringing in their kids and dogs while they shopped.
I went in to Target a few days ago to get a thermometer to mail to my daughter in NYC, because they were OOS every everywhere, even online. There were very few people and most were doing a good job of keeping apart.
Going to the grocery store we can maintain distance except for the brief time in the checkout where you have to be closer than 6 feet. Target had self checkouts, but our store doesn’t.

As I said, I am conflicted on how I feel.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 22, 2020 04:09PM
The craving for normalcy is really powerful - I'm sorry that it puts you and hubby at greater risk. Congrats on your anniversary!!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 22, 2020 04:38PM
I was having the same conversation with my wife. If I should stop by the hardware store and pickup supplies to finish a basement room. Essential? Nope, but if I'm already out and already going to the store for something that is essential then I don't see the harm in purchasing other items as well while I'm there.

I'm still working every day at work, IT is considered essential, working to shut down buildings and get students and staff devices and remote access to resources. My guess is that I will be working from home after the end of the week once we get that work done. Then the only question is how do we deal with physically broken devices that need to be swapped out for new ones.

Right now I have around 2500 iPads and Chromebooks in students hands and 600 devices in staff hands. They are going to break or lose things. Trying to balance having to meet in person vs mailing devices back and forth and having it take a week before they get a replacement.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: blooz
Date: March 22, 2020 04:56PM
Happy anniversary Rhonda!

I was leaving my job at the end of this month anyway, and after reading all the warning about being in the "more likely to die" demographic, I went in last tuesday and said "folks this has to be my last day." I work at a facility for alcoholics and drug addicts and there are about 70 people there, many with compromised immune systems. Hated to do that to my team, but I felt it was necessary for my protection.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 22, 2020 05:31PM
The answer is no - not in person shopping. If your store would deliver to homeowners, from online or phone orders, that'd be fine.
Date: March 22, 2020 06:14PM
Well, I did go pick up our take out.
The crazy thing is, the dining room was actually open. As I said, where I am, people are not taking this seriously. The people going I saw going in to eat in the dining room were older than me. sad smiley

The lady who had taken my order thanked me several times for doing a carry out order. She said they were doing virtual tables, so it was like I dined in, for her. I did leave a tip, in case anyone wonders.

Thanks for all the acknowledgements of our anniversary. :-)

Posted by: jdc
just got back from a walk, dozens of peeps doing yard work...

Some of them looked like they had gone to HD. New plants and new bags of soil. one house even had a handyman over digging out a stump...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
sekker
The answer is no - not in person shopping. If your store would deliver to homeowners, from online or phone orders, that'd be fine.

We do offer that, but it seems many still come in.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 22, 2020 07:05PM
.....2 people in NJ were arrested.....for holding a pop-up wedding for 50 people....

....some are not taking this seriously......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: davester
Date: March 22, 2020 09:23PM
Congratulations Rhonda!!

I don't think that you should be working anywhere that has the potential for exposure. If you can afford it, don't go to work until this whole thing blows over. This is a serious situation.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 22, 2020 09:27PM
Should people be buying gardening supplies? If you ask my wife, yes, because she loves gardening. If you ask me, no, because I hate gardening.
Posted by: clyde
Date: March 22, 2020 09:34PM
Happy Anniversary, rgC!!

As to buying gardening supplies: If you want to garden, yes. How else you gonna get strawberries without the texture of styrofoam?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 23, 2020 04:39AM
planting a vegetable garden isn't a bad idea fwiw.

this should make you all laugh.

About 1/3 of our front yard is overtaken by "weeds". We quit being glared at by our neighbors when we planted a sign in the middle of that section.

"You may consider these weeds, but our tortoise Glenn considers them dinner"

We pull a bunch every evening and shake off the dirt before we bring them inside, and feed them to her. She sure is one happy girl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2020 04:43AM by Racer X.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: March 23, 2020 06:20AM
Happy anniversary!

I have all the gardening supplies I need, but it’s pretty essential for me because I grow most of our food in a "Normal" year. This year... more seeds sowed earlier! I haven’t been to a store in 2 weeks except to pick up a roll of electric fencing I had shipped to store, and I hope not to. If I can get my own vegetables ready shortly, I’ll be good for quite a while.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 354
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018