advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any Evernote fans?
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: March 22, 2020 03:54PM
For many years, I've just kept a "scratchpad" open in my favorite text editor as a place to quickly type phone numbers and short notes when clients call. It's easily searchable—at least if I remember the person's name or made a note with something useful in it.

Years ago I installed Evernote, but I never figured out how to use it. As I'm spending the weekend going through various piles of papers, I wonder if I should just put those random phone numbers I find into my scratchpad, or if there's a clearly superior solution I'm overlooking.

I'm at my desktop nearly all the time, and don't foresee needing to look things up on my phone. I do use Google Keep for things like grocery lists.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any Evernote fans?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 22, 2020 05:12PM
I like it a lot. I store a lot of info there, and it's available to every connectable device I have. Also, even older versions that work with Snow Leopard or Mavericks seem to access and display everything just fine.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 22, 2020 05:28PM
90% of what I used Evernote for, I can do in the latest Apple Notes.

I am pretty sure I can do the rest in OneNote.

I think Evernote is quite powerful, but I was not willing to go to another SAS subscription.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 22, 2020 06:27PM
Use the freebie fir my long term memory. I like it
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: March 22, 2020 07:06PM
But what does it (or OneNote or Apple Notes) do that I can't do in an ordinary text editor?

That's what I've never understood. I bookmark things actually on the Web in my browser, so the ability to clip text is not of interest to me.
Posted by: Drew
Date: March 22, 2020 07:08PM
Apple Notes, Apple Reminders, and Apple Calendar work great for me. I've tried Things, Evernote, various calendars, etc., etc. but got tired of paying for what I could get for free. Also, those seem bloated to me as compared to the Apple apps. As noted above, Notes has grown over the years into a very good app. Do a search for interesting ideas of uses for it.
Posted by: Bo
Date: March 22, 2020 07:41PM
Not a fan of Evernote. I've had to use it on a few projects and it felt complicated and bloated with a steeper learning curve that seemed necessary.

You might try Miro.

I have been liking it a lot and it might work for your needs quite well. It's basically one giant endless window that you can zoom in and out of or move around in freely. You simply drop almost any kind of file into and move around however you want and add any notes, links, general text share links with others. There is an app or you can use via web interface and both are quite similar and super simple to use. [miro.com]

The free version has been fine for me. It just limits the number of boards you can have and limits the export resolution if you ever need to print or save them as pdfs. If you just need it digitally then you are good.
Posted by: davec
Date: March 22, 2020 09:03PM
I have been using Evernote fairly regularly for several years. I like the folder/notebook system. The Web Clipper function also works quite well for me. It is nice that I can access notebooks/folders and notes across my devices. There may be other options that would do as well, but it works well for me and I will likely continue using it. Dave

...on the trailing edge of technology.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 23, 2020 07:32AM
davec
I have been using Evernote fairly regularly for several years. I like the folder/notebook system. The Web Clipper function also works quite well for me. It is nice that I can access notebooks/folders and notes across my devices. There may be other options that would do as well, but it works well for me and I will likely continue using it. Dave

This. I use Evernote in conjunction with the Web Clipper extension also. I have a notebook for science stuff, one for tech (mostly Mac and iOS related), etc., 4–5 notebooks. There are a couple of items that I pull up regularly. Apple Notes seems primitive in comparison, and there is far more chance of not being able to access stored notes fro
different OS versions, thanks to Apple's general dickishness about backward compatibility.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2020 07:33AM by ka jowct.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 206
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020