AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Deals: Reuters-"Western supply chains buckle as coronavirus lockdowns spread"
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 23, 2020 12:20PM
Interesting and informative read

Western supply chains buckle as coronavirus lockdowns spread
[www.reuters.com]

This article is survey of the pressures affecting supply chains, from lack of drivers to tough borders to lack of flights for air freight.

-Stockpiling and panic buying by consumers are also adding to strains.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Deals: Reuters-"Western supply chains buckle as coronavirus lockdowns spread"
Posted by: d4
Date: March 23, 2020 12:34PM
What I'd like to know is where is the 100s of thousands of gallons of free NY State hand sanitizer Cuomo promised 2 weeks ago? I haven't heard one word about it since the press conference. We just need to stay calm, wash our hands and it'll all be fine right?

Re: Deals: Reuters-"Western supply chains buckle as coronavirus lockdowns spread"
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 23, 2020 12:37PM
d4
What I'd like to know is where is the 100s of thousands of gallons of free NY State hand sanitizer Cuomo promised 2 weeks ago? I haven't heard one word about it since the press conference. We just need to stay calm, wash our hands and it'll all be fine right?

Good question. I could use some myself.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 23, 2020 12:38PM
d4

I would hope it goes to hospitals and nursing homes. The people there need it more than the rest of us. When I go out , I carry a washcloth in a baggie that has 90% alcohol in it. Now that we are all Stay Home we don't need sanitizer. Unless someone in the house has it. Then we're all sick together. Yay.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 23, 2020 12:38PM
d4

Not to worry, Trump promised this was no worse than the flu.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 23, 2020 01:29PM
cbelt3
d4

I would hope it goes to hospitals and nursing homes. The people there need it more than the rest of us. When I go out , I carry a washcloth in a baggie that has 90% alcohol in it. Now that we are all Stay Home we don't need sanitizer. Unless someone in the house has it. Then we're all sick together. Yay.

i know one couple who will both be starting chemo this week. Because immunosuppressive drugs used to treat cancer weaken a person’s defenses against disease, people like them are one group that need hand sanitizer a lot more than the rest of us.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: artie67
Date: March 23, 2020 01:46PM
Looks like the locals are producing.
[duckduckgo.com]
Date: March 23, 2020 01:47PM
Ammo
cbelt3
d4

i know one couple who will both be starting chemo this week. Because immunosuppressive drugs used to treat cancer weaken a person’s defenses against disease, people like them are one group that need hand sanitizer a lot more than the rest of us.

100,000 gallons each week should be enough for everyone. It shouldn't be about cherry picking who gets and who doesn't. What about the immediate family members of the couple? What about the food shopper that touches the handle of the shopping basket? Who then touches the door handle of the clinic? What about the food delivery guy that touches the doorknob?

Has anyone seen one bottle in use? Or was it all a show for the cameras? I hope it wasn't all delivered to the schools. The schools are closed! LOL

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 23, 2020 01:48PM
Steve G.
d4

Good question. I could use some myself.

Pretty sure that hand sanitizer was destined for state offices and facilities, particularly prisons...

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 23, 2020 01:58PM
reuters is europe based, correct?

cause scanning this article I just see Spanish, Italy, Germany -- nothing about the US.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: March 23, 2020 02:02PM
My oncologist twisted arms to get me Neulasta (sp?) the day after chemo to bump white blood cell counts. Hoping your friends have an equally proactive doctor as I did. Fingers crossed for them…

Ammo
cbelt3
d4

=wr=

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2020 02:03PM by wave rider.
Date: March 23, 2020 02:14PM
Dang. I had to really dig around for an update.
I guess the media felt the topic wasn't getting enough clicks and has moved on.

[www.syracuse.com]

March 19
NY begins distributing free hand sanitizer to counties

New York has started distributing the first batches of hand sanitizer that Gov. Andrew Cuomo promised to give away last week to ease a shortage related to the coronavirus pandemic.

The state’s prison-based manufacturer, Corcraft Products, shipped the first 100,000 gallons this week to state and local government offices that requested the hand sanitizer, according to a spokesman for Cuomo.

The sanitizer, packaged in bottles with the brand New York State Clean, is available in 1.7-ounce, 7-ounce, and 1-gallon plastic bottles.

Onondaga County is among municipalities that ordered some of the free hand sanitizer and received a shipment over the weekend, said county spokesman Justin Sayles.

The county kept some of the hand sanitizer for its public buildings and distributed the rest to local fire and emergency medical personnel, primary care health professionals and senior health centers that requested it, Sayles said.

The alcohol-based sanitizer will eventually be made available free to state residents, with priority given to the most impacted and high-risk communities affected by the virus, Cuomo said.

Onondaga County has no immediate plans to distribute the smaller bottles to its residents, Sayles sad.

The governor said it costs the state $6.10 to manufacture a one-gallon bottle of the sanitizer – less than on the open market – using prison labor at Great Meadow Correctional Facility in Comstock, Washington County.

The state plans to produce about 100,000 gallons of hand sanitizer per week, using a formula approved by the World Health Organization.

Some state lawmakers have criticized the governor’s decision, saying it’s unfair to make the product using prison labor paid an average of 62 cents per hour.

Corcraft makes license plates, furniture, highway signs and other products at its correctional facilities, including one in Auburn, Cayuga County.

Cuomo’s office said there are no immediate plans to expand the hand sanitizer manufacturing to other prisons.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 23, 2020 02:21PM
What happens when the manufacturing production line has to be shut down for coronavirus? Prison labor is a bit dicey of a bet during a pandemic. Institutionalized people are usually among the first groups to get hit hard....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 23, 2020 05:10PM
rjmacs
What happens when the manufacturing production line has to be shut down for coronavirus? Prison labor is a bit dicey of a bet during a pandemic. Institutionalized people are usually among the first groups to get hit hard....

I’m not too worried, there are always more criminals.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 24, 2020 04:35AM
Local distillery is brewing hand sanitizer.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 150
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018