The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
cholesterol
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 24, 2020 03:23PM
Poll
DIY
This poll has expired. Voting is no longer possible.
32 votes were received.
more exercise, diet change 13

41%
statin 7

22%
more exercise, diet change & statin 8

25%
'72 246 Dino in blue 3

9%
got another cat 1

3%

I'd bet I'm not the only one.
Just got my 1st bad blood numbers.
I ferget the numbers, but they're borderline, not horrible.
It was suggested that I trial Crestor for 6 wks.

I'm no fan of drugs of any kind.
I will very seldom indulge in a pain killer/anti-inflammatory.

My diet is pretty clean. No red meat for 40 yrs. Minimal dairy.
I do walk 15m or so every week and do yoga every day.
But I am overweight by 15-20%. I have a bad carb weakness.

My question, for those of you willing to (PM if you'd prefer).
Did you/are you on a statin or did you opt to diy or ....?
By DIY, I mean, change your diet, get more exercise.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: cholesterol
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 24, 2020 03:40PM
Do some reading here before you take statins:

[www.google.com]
Posted by: Buck
Date: March 24, 2020 03:46PM
Statins will bring it down in a hurry, but a low-carb diet and exercise will help losing weight. That will reduce or eliminate the need for statins. Always take CoQ10 when taking a statin. That's my doctor's advice.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 24, 2020 03:49PM
I guess it depends a great deal on your family history. I know the triglycerides are important in determining risk, and I could get my numbers on that side down pretty well. my family has genetically high cholesterol numbers, and predisposition to other diseases, but no heart disease that I know of. my numbers are probably similar to yours, and I made an effort to get more exercise. now, I have fallen short in the last six months, and have to get back on the horse.

fwiw, I tried two drugs and I felt like I was going to die. heart palpitations, shortness of breath, panicky feelings. nope. I'm also a believer in the no free lunch philosophy, so I have to put in the work to be healthy.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: March 24, 2020 04:06PM
If you don't already have a heart problem don't look to see what a 72 Dino in nice condition is selling for these days!

I can't offer any help with your problem as I am actually on drugs to RAISE my cholesterol as the number is too low.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2020 04:12PM by Harbourmaster.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 24, 2020 04:09PM
Do you know your A1C? Going low carb with a healthy oils/fats diet can help lower cholesterol but it frequently requires an additional significant increase in activity.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 24, 2020 04:14PM
I was in the same boat as mrbigstuff about 15 years ago and did the things in his 1st paragraph as my doc recommended no statins yet. Not enough of a risk as I was still in my 30s.

My doc (an MD/PhD) retired recently but we chatted before that and he's always used drugs as a last resort. In his opinion (which I also share), changing things the natural way is always the first course of action. No that doesn't mean herbal crap, homeopathy or any of that magical-thinking snake oil. Rather, it's eat well and exercise. That's worked well for me so far and I don't have diabetes, which my dad and brother had by my age.

However, we always talked about the actual endpoint of taking any drug: it's not what numbers you can get on your blood test, like it's a high score in a game. It's the real answer: Does It Make You Live Longer?

I was taking Niacin to reduce triglycerides for a while but stopped because the answer ended up being: No. It doesn't make you live longer, in fact it may shorten life.

He did say that in his opinion, Statins were the best drugs we have developed in recent memory. They are that good at that outcome: You Live Longer. They're not perfect and they have side effects, but they're very good. His recommendations about drugs were rare, almost nonexistent, but he gave Statins the thumbs up for those who need them.
Date: March 24, 2020 04:21PM
I've read plenty about drugs in general having been thru the ringer with my folks.
My fam history was pretty good until they both put on too much weight.
I'm considerably more experienced then they were, from their experience and just time. I have to put it to work now.

I know what a Dino goes for, I still crave one, except not red, feh!
Someday ... but 1st, got to get them numbers in control.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 24, 2020 04:39PM
My wife and I were borderline. Our physician recommended that we try red yeast rice so we did. At our next (and following) annual physicals both of us were lower and have stayed lower for 5 years or so. I dunno if the red yeast rice is doing anything or not but after we started taking it we no longer have borderline high cholesterol. We don't take the "recommended" 1200 mg once or twice a day, but rather 600 mg daily simply because I'm cautious about things that the FDA hasn't approved.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: March 24, 2020 04:40PM
Statins get a lot of bad press based on poor quality or debunked studies.
They are safer than having high cholesterol and other risk factors for heart disease.
That said, if we are talking about prevention of a first heart attack/stroke/peripheral vascular disease in a non-diabetic, cutting out the carbs and losing weight would be my personal health plan.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 24, 2020 04:45PM
My cardiologist says (and himself takes) Crestor once a week is fine for cholesterol control while minimizing undesirable side effects.
==
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 24, 2020 04:47PM
My mom, two of her brothers, and a doctor here had really bad muscle pains and had to quit.
Date: March 24, 2020 05:12PM
never heard of red yeast, though it seems to carry the same risks and side effects of statins.
Think I'll diy for a bit and see if I can drop 20.

Guess that means I'll have to drop the 4 almond croissant a day diet.
Just kidding.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Acer
Date: March 24, 2020 05:39PM
I'm trying to avoid statins. I dropped some weight and have intentionally curtailed high-calorie treats. My guess is it won't bring it to normal, but I'm hoping for some progress by my next visit.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 24, 2020 05:44PM
Buck
Statins will bring it down in a hurry, but a low-carb diet and exercise will help losing weight. That will reduce or eliminate the need for statins. Always take CoQ10 when taking a statin. That's my doctor's advice.

"It has been suggested that the myotoxicity of statins is due to impairment of CoQ biosynthesis, but the evidence supporting this was deemed controversial in 2011.

While statins may reduce coenzyme Q10 in the blood it is unclear if they reduce coenzyme Q10 in muscle. Evidence does not support that supplementation improves side effects from statins,

CoQ10 is not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of any medical condition"
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 24, 2020 06:09PM
Fritz
never heard of red yeast, though it seems to carry the same risks and side effects of statins.
Think I'll diy for a bit and see if I can drop 20.

Guess that means I'll have to drop the 4 almond croissant a day diet.
Just kidding.

Same cardiologist that says Crestor once a week is good, turned me on to red yeast rice tabs many years ago. No side effects yet, though I do see online that some people do get side effects, thought it's way less, and usually less severe than w/ statins. Even found it combined w/ Co-Q10, which makes things easier.

Cholesterol numbers are fair here, and doc ran calcium heart scan a few years back, just to be on the safe side of what sort of meds regimen to pursue. If you haven't been scanned, it might be something to consider. Red yeast rice is OTC, is reasonable at Costco, and even cheaper at several places online.
==
Posted by: vicrock
Date: March 24, 2020 06:26PM
You can also try fish oil - seeems to work well for some people.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: March 24, 2020 06:36PM
As much as possible, eliminate sugar from your diet. No desserts, no sugary drinks (including sickly-sweet Starbucks concoctions), no candy, etc.

Do that and drink lots of water, in a month you’ll be stunned by the improvement in your health.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 24, 2020 06:49PM
been taking red yeast rice for years. no side effects. doctor was surprised how much it lowered my numbers within 6 months.

over the years i gained weight and was taking less RYR. numbers have been back up. lost about 22lbs in the last 4 month. (Yay Noom!) but not due for a physical for a while.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: March 24, 2020 07:19PM
I've been taking the fish oil all long and I do love salmon.
And I love steel cuts, but I have to lose the extras, raisins, dates, maple...

Sugar! Argh! My absolute fkn weakness. And I love to bake.
I know that is the hurdle.

Don't drink soda (except root beer with pizza, and I haven't had that in months) or ever put sugar in my cofefe.

I'll take a look at RYR if I see it at CostCo (if I get in for senior hours) on Thurs.

I will NOT stop my piece of 72% dark choc though.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 24, 2020 09:59PM
....a little dark chocolate.....mmmmmmm.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 24, 2020 10:11PM
Fritz
CostCo (if I get in for senior hours) on Thurs.

I had no idea that Costco had senior hours--they are on Tues and Thurs 8-9am for those 60 and older. They won't allow guests during those hours. I'll be going on Thursday.

Thanks!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 24, 2020 10:38PM
....it's like high school.....the seniors.....rule.....the school......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 25, 2020 04:54AM
My bad cholesterol was with in parameters but I had No good stuff.

Crestor for 6 wks

That is about how long I took it before I said NO MORE.

10 mg daily back in 2014. Just looked at the remaining bottle.

What symptoms did I have the doctor asked? ALL of Them.

If a diet change is possible, do try that route.

The pill that mother/Doctor gives you........soapbox smiley

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Janit
Date: March 25, 2020 06:21AM
There are a variety of statins available, and side effects will vary from person to person. I never had the muscle issues, but I did have a slight elevation of liver enzymes.

Started out trying Lipitor, but then doc switched me to a combination of Crestor and Zetia. Has been good for a couple of years now.
Date: March 25, 2020 07:38AM
I'm with Bernie. Gonna try it my way. I'm in no immediate danger from what doc said.
Since I can't get my fave almond croissant now, that'll be an easy quit.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: dk62
Date: March 25, 2020 12:34PM
Yes, statins have side effects in a number of people, but different people react differently to different statins. Red yeast rice has naturally occurring statin, just at a low level, but if you are sensitive you may have side effects to that as well. In addition, some producers of (generally unregulated) supplements were adding pharmaceutical grade statins to their red yeast rice preparations in the past, be careful to buy from reputable companies.

Genetics is very important, I know a lot of people with dyslipidemia who are thin and eat healthy. I was lucky to be on the opposite end - way overweight for 15 years but normal lipids and sugar, like my parents always were. Despite old conventional wisdom, at that time I never had lower numbers than when I would be on low carb diet eating normal to high amounts of red meat. After I got back to relatively normal weight, my numbers are just amazing (higher HDL than LDL).
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: March 25, 2020 05:21PM
Red rice yeast contains lovastatin. The concentration will vary from batch to batch.

Studies have shown that for people intolerant of statins due to muscle cramps (but without an abnormal CPK test to suggest actual muscle injury), stopping the statin and then restarting it usually does not cause the cramps to come back. Conclusion: The cramps were never due to the statin at all (not always true, of course).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 250
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018