advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Needed: Someone Able to Open Old PageMaker and Word Files
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: March 24, 2020 07:00PM
In the early ‘90s my label, Northeastern Records, released two CD albums of twentieth-century classical music. An organization in New York City now plans to release the two albums as one boxed set, using as much of the original packaging as feasible. I have production files for that packaging (booklets with extensive notes and tray cards), but they are in obsolete programs on my blue G3 Power Mac:

Album 1 (1990): Layouts in Pagemaker, probably PM 5. Text files in MS Word, probably Word for Mac 4.0. I cannot open these files.

Album 2 (1994): Layouts in Pagemaker 6.0. Text files in MS Word for Mac 5.1. I can open these files, but I cannot properly restore the Pagemaker layouts because I don’t have the fonts installed any more.

I suggested to my contact at the organization that I might be able to find someone, probably a graphic designer, who could read these files and maybe convert them to a modern format they could use for the new double booklet. I was thinking of course, of the membership of this Forum, perhaps even someone in NYC (though that’s not essential).

I have uploaded the files to DropBox. If you are interested, please post below, or PM me. I assume the organization would be willing to pay for your services. I do not know if they would need help creating the new booklet, or whether they have a designer already engaged. They have been talking about just scanning the original packaging and reprinting it in ‘facsimile’, but I think creating a new booklet from the original files would result in a superior product.

Hope everyone is surviving the pandemic all right. We’re OK here, for now (knock wood!).

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Needed: Someone Able to Open Old PageMaker and Word Files
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 24, 2020 07:13PM
if no one here can come with what you need.
this page has some useful links and those links have forum links.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: March 24, 2020 07:32PM
I'll give one a try to see what problems I encounter.

I've got a chain of machines still able to power up for just such instances.
Posted by: Carm
Date: March 24, 2020 08:28PM
Same here. I’ve got a couple of old PCs and an Old Mac.
Posted by: p8712
Date: March 24, 2020 09:19PM
I could easily do this with a sheepshaver Simulation of macOS nine. Happy to give you the virtual machine files if you need them.
Date: March 24, 2020 10:04PM
The problem is not the hardware, but the software. Who has working PageMaker versions and wide font selections?

/Mr Lynn
Date: March 24, 2020 10:11PM
mrlynn
The problem is not the hardware, but the software. Who has working PageMaker versions and wide font selections?

/Mr Lynn

Here’s pagemaker
Posted by: Carm
Date: March 24, 2020 10:21PM
Nice find p8712
Edit: I think fonts are going to be the problem. What fonts are you missing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2020 10:22PM by Carm.
Date: March 24, 2020 10:43PM
They have a large selection of older fonts too. There’s another site which slipped my mind but when I think of the name I will post it.
Date: March 24, 2020 10:44PM
Archive has zillions of fonts available to. I know there’s still another website and when I think of it I will post it. Just search archive.org for Mac fonts and you’ll have no shortage.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 25, 2020 01:39AM
thousands of free fonts... some great ones -- Id prob just substitute, might be easier.

I have the entire Adobe font folio, is there a list of fonts? you need?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: March 25, 2020 07:34AM
Search the forum. I have a thread that details howto download an emulator that has word 5.1a.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: March 25, 2020 07:35AM
Here is the thread:

[forums.macresource.com]

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Date: March 25, 2020 07:48PM
[For some reason the last couple of days I'm not getting email notices of followed threads. I went and re-clicked 'Follow Topic', but still they're not coming. Any idea why? Usually any topic I start or contribute to automatically enables following.]

Thanks for the links to emulation software, PageMaker versions, and fonts. I actually have the PM5 installation box, so I could perhaps install it on my G3/9.1 machine, but there's no need really, as PM6 will open a PM5 document, though it might make changes.

FWIW, the missing fonts it says are: Copperplate 32bc, Copperplate 33bc, and Wood type ornaments. The Copperplate family is listed in Font Reserve (remember that?) but apparently is not available. I never did understand how fonts work in the OSes.

But anyway, I don't want to do this myself. I haven't used page-layout software in several years (aside from some letterhead in InDesign), so I'd have to relearn, and I'd probably make a mess of it. Nor do I have the time or desire. What I was looking for was a designer who could take on this task and help out the organization planning to reissue those two CDs.

Today I managed to find the fellow who designed Album 2. He says he's out of the layout business,* so won't be able to help. He adds, "I suspect the thing would have to be rebuilt using InDesign, with new fonts. Or they’ll just scan it; it’ll be much cheaper, and with the printing (probably) being digital, the results will be, how shall I put it, surprisingly passable."

So maybe that's what I should tell them. Thoughts?

/Mr Lynn

* But he has become a very impressive painter, by my lights. See [davidbastille.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2020 07:48PM by mrlynn.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 25, 2020 11:27PM
Copperplate and woodtype are a basic fonts, easy to get.

As long as a designer can see the originals, and have the text, recreation shouldnt be too hard.

I agree with the scanning, prob fine.

Not to dismiss the "content" but we are talking 20th century classical music -- Im prob a pretty demographic will be interested... and more interested in the music vs packaging...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018