advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Internet Archive's 'national emergency library' has over a million books to read right now
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 25, 2020 10:11AM

Internet Archive's 'national emergency library' has over a million books to read right now

The Internet Archive will suspend its waiting lists for digital copies of book as part of its National Emergency Library, the organization said Tuesday.

"Users will be able to borrow books from the National Emergency Library without joining a waitlist, ensuring that students will have access to assigned readings and library materials that the Internet Archive has digitized," according to a blog post.

The move comes as schools around the country are shut down in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic. The post noted that many people can't physically go to their local libraries these days.

The waiting lists apply to more than 1.4 million books. The Internet Archive said it would keep the waiting list suspended until June 30, 2020 or "the end of the US national emergency, whichever is later."

[www.cnet.com]

BTW, it's spelled y'all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2020 10:11AM by Zoidberg.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Internet Archive's 'national emergency library' has over a million books to read right now
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 25, 2020 10:16AM
....read'em.....and weep.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: Internet Archive's 'national emergency library' has over a million books to read right now
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 25, 2020 12:26PM
I wonder if the library will be able to lend unlimited copies of the same book at the same time.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 25, 2020 05:48PM
Awesome. Just proof that the business model we are using has been suppressing free exchange of knowledge.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 25, 2020 08:59PM
Ammo
I wonder if the library will be able to lend unlimited copies of the same book at the same time.

Just checked it out and it would appear that they'll only show you what's available at that moment in time. That would probably keep them in line with whatever licensing agreements they have.

McMillan and a host of other publishers are now restricting library access to their content, doubtless as a move to sell more licenses.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 238
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018