Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Waffle House 'Index Red' - shutters 365 stores
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 25, 2020 10:25AM
[www.nbcnews.com]

Waffle House has declared "Waffle House Index Red," as the fast-food chain closes about a fifth of its restaurants in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Georgia-based chain's approximately 2,000 restaurants are usually open 24 hours, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Now, 365 locations are closed, a Waffle House Facebook post said Tuesday.

"#WaffleHouseIndexRed," said the post.

The Waffle House Index, which was coined nearly a decade ago, refers to the measure of destruction caused by a natural disaster based on how many Waffle Houses remain open or have closed. The chain, which has restaurants in about two dozen states but is a staple in the South, is known for its disaster preparedness and ability to stay open during most weather events, like tornadoes and hurricanes.

A former FEMA director said the agency monitors the closures of Waffle Houses following natural disasters to determine where to focus their response.

"If you get there and the Waffle House is closed?" former-FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate said, according to The Wall Street Journal. "That's really bad. That's where you go to work."

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Waffle House 'Index Red' - shutters 365 stores
Posted by: rz
Date: March 25, 2020 01:39PM
When I lived in Philadelphia, there was a restaurant (I think it was a Denny's) that was open 24/7/365. One year, they decided they were going to close for Xmas, to give the employees a day off. The day before, they realized that the front door had no lock! They never had to close before, so they never installed a lock. I think the owner had to go to the hardware store and install a lock on his own because he couldn't find a locksmith that could install one that day.
Re: Waffle House 'Index Red' - shutters 365 stores
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 25, 2020 02:07PM
My nephew is an assistant manager for WH. His girlfriend was laid off and he was being sent to several different stores in the area, often for partial shifts. He might work 6-11 at one store, then drive to another one for 11-2.

He said it was evident that there was going to be a management shakeup after things calmed down. Not everyone was cooperating with the plan. He said now was the time to shine because those that did would likely move up fast.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 306
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018