advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What moment of Mac history would you relive?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 25, 2020 10:55AM
The introduction of the G4 Cube by Steve Jobs is my top Mac most ever.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What moment of Mac history would you relive?
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 25, 2020 11:16AM
All I can think when see when I see him in the G4 era is to yell "DUDE! GO TO A REAL DOCTOR! LISTEN TO THE DOCTOR!"

I didn't see it to relive it, but I'd like to be there for Steve's Second Coming, when he first stepped onto the stage after the NeXT acquisition.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 25, 2020 11:18AM
The nadir of the stock price

Posted by: STL
Date: March 25, 2020 11:45AM
Pulling the iPod Nano out of the jeans pocket
&
Pulling the iMac Air out of the manila envelope
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 25, 2020 11:49AM
.....love the dial-in days......for teenagers entering puberty....waiting for that pron to load.......all....the....way......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 25, 2020 12:04PM

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: JPK
Date: March 25, 2020 12:07PM
When the Duo 2300c, that was a big deal. I still love that dock.

JPK
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 25, 2020 12:30PM
March 1, 2004 - Stock was selling for around $2 share (figuring in splits, etc). It would never be that low again.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 25, 2020 01:04PM
MacWorld Expos back when they filled several huge buildings with hundreds and hundreds of companies and vendors; they were fun.
smiley-music039
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 25, 2020 01:08PM
First SJ keynote (Stevenote) back at Apple, August 6th 1997. Boston Expo Center. With Bill Gates.

[stratechery.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Or else 1998 WWDC, or Macworld 1997 2007 with the iPhone introduction... (Fixed.)

Ohh! iPhone introduction: Every attendee got a free phone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2020 02:32PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 25, 2020 01:47PM
Sarcany
Macworld 1997 with the iPhone introduction...

You would have been sitting there for awhile waiting for that freebie- the iPhone introduction was 2007.
I still recall watching it and feeling my jaw drop lower and lower as Steve demonstrated it... Though I admit my eyebrows went up when the price was mentioned.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: hal
Date: March 25, 2020 01:48PM
My own learning process was a once in a lifetime event. I knew I needed a computer, I talked to friends to decide on if it should be a mac or a PC. I went with the Mac and a friend became my mentor and set it up for me, showed me how to learn more and off I went. I was bleary-eyed for days as I spent almost every waking moment not at work playing with my new toy. After about three weeks, I backed off. By then, rolls had reversed and I had become mentor to my friend that helped me set it up.

The sense of joy and wonder was amazing. Compuserve made me feel like a god among men. I had ACCESS!
Posted by: d4
Date: March 25, 2020 02:04PM
I would LOVE to relive the moment in 2006 when I was short on rent and sold my 30 shares of AAPL.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 25, 2020 02:23PM
DeusxMac
MacWorld Expos back when they filled several huge buildings with hundreds and hundreds of companies and vendors; they were fun.
smiley-music039

this is what I was going to say. lots of fond memories. and, don't forget - Kai's Power Tools!

I could never stomach the showbiz of Jobs doing his shtick, and did not wait in line to hear when it was in boston one year.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 25, 2020 04:05PM
Little bro was working at the mothership back in the 1980s. I went to visit him in the early 80s, and he was supposedly too busy to pick me up at the SJC airport, which is just a couple miles down the freeway. When I got to the main compound via a taxi, the parking lot was empty. It turned out literally everybody but my brother’s (AppleService) group of six were at an offsite meeting. The rest of my brother’s group played hooky, so it was basically my brother, me, and the security staff in the whole building.

My brother locked me in the prototype room in the middle of the third floor, where one of the five original prototypes of the Lisa computer was proudly standing. I got to play with that incredible piece of technology for a couple of hours, all by my lonesome self. I guess technically that would be pre-Mac history, but the readily apparent differences between that Lisa, and the apple ][ it had much improved upon, totally rocked my world in a way my technological world hadn’t been rocked before, and hasn’t been since.
==
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 25, 2020 06:52PM
Ombligo
Sarcany
Macworld 1997 with the iPhone introduction...

You would have been sitting there for awhile waiting for that freebie- the iPhone introduction was 2007.
I still recall watching it and feeling my jaw drop lower and lower as Steve demonstrated it... Though I admit my eyebrows went up when the price was mentioned.

Even with the year corrected it would be a long wait. Announced at Macworld January 2007, but shipped in June 2007. The only free iPhones I recall hearing about were for the Apple Employees when it actually shipped.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 25, 2020 06:59PM
So many keynotes were great and inspired great lust. However, the iPhone introduction was amazing and it was so much more than I ever thought it could be. Second place would be the iPod.

The original Mac introduction is so iconic that it is in a completely separate category from those two since it represents the actual birth of the Mac. I include both the Superbowl commercial and Steve's introduction as being part of the same event.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 25, 2020 07:24PM
I too think the introduction of the iPhone was a major. I remember it well, I just got my brother to switch to a Mac tower and when it was delivered, he asked me to help set it up.

The first thing I did was to get the video up of the keynote. I was overwhelmed and told my bro they're going to sell millions and millions of them. He looked at me like I was nuts. hot smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

jdc , jh , Rolando
Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018