advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
With MacOS in seminglly constant turmoil, is it time to move to Linux?
Posted by: JEBB
Date: March 25, 2020 03:44PM
Keeping up with the changes in MacOS is a daunting task. An alternative is Linux Mint. Whenever Linux Mint changes, the changes are minimal.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: With MacOS in seminglly constant turmoil, is it time to move to Linux?
Posted by: clay
Date: March 25, 2020 03:47PM
What are your computing needs? For some folks who aren't tied to single-platform apps (like Final Cut Pro or other Apple or Windows-only needs), Linux can work. But it isn't without drawbacks if you're not willing to tinker, to get things working in some cases, for example.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 25, 2020 03:48PM
What changes have proved daunting for you in Mac OS? I ask because I really haven't had many issues of late....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 25, 2020 03:48PM
Let me ask you a question: Why wouldn't you move to Mint?
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 25, 2020 04:09PM
rjmacs
What changes have proved daunting for you in Mac OS? I ask because I really haven't had many issues of late....

Im in the same boat... switching from Sierra to Catalina... and it looks ... the same?

Of course, not everyone is me, and I rely heavily on Adobe CC, so theres that...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 25, 2020 04:19PM
what turmoil? klondike is great, as ever - [www.casteel.org]

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 25, 2020 04:22PM
I find Ubuntu to be a better alternative to Windows or MacOS. Their next LTS version is coming out very soon. (LTS= Long Term Support, meaning patches will be provided for I think 3 years minimum.) Mint is based on Ubuntu I believe, so they're probably close.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: March 25, 2020 05:13PM
If you don't need the most up-to-date software or decent internet access, and don't mind restarting after an unexpected crash 9 times per day, a PowerBook G4 Titanium running OS9 is one productive beast. You can get massive amounts of abandonware to do almost anything you need to, for free.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 25, 2020 05:19PM
Huh, I guess I don't see the turmoil you see. And I run machines at work and home ranging from 10.11.6 through 10.15.x. The only annoyances I see are dealing with occasional hiccups from my unsupported OS installs like 10.14.x. on a 2011 Mac Mini or 10.13.6 on an Intel NUC7i7. But that's not Apple's fault, merely my interests.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 25, 2020 05:35PM
We use Linux, MacOS and Windows at work. In that order. Ubuntu ROCKS. We are an artificial intelligence company.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 25, 2020 05:55PM
There's TONS of free software available for Ubuntu.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: hal
Date: March 25, 2020 06:08PM
I bitch about mac os all day long, but it has to get A LOT worse before I chuck it out a window.
Posted by: DP
Date: March 25, 2020 06:13PM
Of course, not everyone is me, and I rely heavily on Adobe CC

Which apps?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 25, 2020 06:32PM
DP

Which apps?

ID, PS, AI, Acrobat, DW and Muse. All day, every day. Plus suitcase fusion, 1Password dozens of times in a day, typeitforme, Dozens of shared dropbox folders, web access to CMS sites, and thousands of emails with custom rules, smart mailboxes.

Ive probably opened, worked on, and closed 100+ different ID files today and at least as many PDFs, 50+ of photos and a couple of dozen + AI files and a few DW files for HTML emails. And its only 430. Full day, wont stop until at least 10.

Im sure there's more i forgot...

No, affinity apps cant replace them...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2020 08:25PM by jdc.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 25, 2020 07:20PM
The only big changes I am aware of that can actually negatively affect people are 1) the change to only supporting 64 bit software; 2) disabling use of my Safari extensions after a restore. That has left me stalled at Sierra momentarily because I'm too cheap and lazy to buy and update, or search for replacements for, a bunch of 32 bit software that I use regularly.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2020 07:23PM by davester.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 25, 2020 10:18PM
Just went from Mavs to Mojave within six months on an 11-year old cMP.
Haven't experienced this constant turmoil of which you speak.
old fogey smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: DP
Date: March 26, 2020 05:57AM
jdc
DP

Which apps?

ID, PS, AI, Acrobat, DW and Muse. All day, every day. Plus suitcase fusion, 1Password dozens of times in a day, typeitforme, Dozens of shared dropbox folders, web access to CMS sites, and thousands of emails with custom rules, smart mailboxes.

Ive probably opened, worked on, and closed 100+ different ID files today and at least as many PDFs, 50+ of photos and a couple of dozen + AI files and a few DW files for HTML emails. And its only 430. Full day, wont stop until at least 10.

Im sure there's more i forgot...

No, affinity apps cant replace them...

Wow-you are a busy person smiley-shocked003

I was asking as I am seriously thinking of casting off the Adobe subscription service, but, I just use PS, Bridge, and some Lightroom. I have a separate copy of Acrobat.

I have an extra external HD with El Cap (which I am using as we speak) on it and PS CS6 that I can use for things like the Pen tool and CMYK conversion. I am semi-retired so I don't need PS as much as I used to so why am I paying for CC? is my current mindset.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: rz
Date: March 26, 2020 09:13AM
I'm still using El Capitan. You do realize you don't have to update every time a new OS update comes out, right?

I was a Unix System Admin about 25 years ago, so I'm quite familiar with Unix. So using Linux doesn't intimidate me. I've dabbled a bit with a few variants of Linux. If I had to choose between using Windows and Linux, I'd go with Linux hands down. But I prefer to use MacOS. I'm sure I could adapt to using Linux if I absolutely had to. But I don't see the need at this time, or anywhere in the near future.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018