advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
3D Printed FaceMasks
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 25, 2020 06:48PM
If anyone is interested, I found a good 3D printable face mask that uses cotton makeup remover pads as a filter. Is it N95? No probably not. Is it better than nothing? Probably.

[www.thingiverse.com]

[smile.amazon.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 3D Printed FaceMasks
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 25, 2020 07:03PM
People are resourceful!

Here's instructions on using vacuum cleaner bags to make facemasks: [starks.com]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 25, 2020 07:21PM
It ought to be possible to make face mask filters out of high efficiency furnace filters, FPR 4 rating looks like it would be the closest to N95. The larger the filter, the easier it will be to breathe through it.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 25, 2020 07:56PM
are these masks proven to help? how small is the virus? what is the size of these particles that can go through the filter?

I had to take my son to the doctor for allergy shots today, the CHOP (children's hospital of Philadelphia) NJ branch was empty. 3 ladies at the reception, 2 nurses in the allergy area, presumably also the doc was there, and a few more nurses in other area. We were the ONLY people there. I did use 2 N95 masts that I found around the house, a CVS simpler model without exhaust port, and an older, USED 3M mask that I used some years ago but I didn't throw out. It looked clean. I am not sure if it did anything or if were just looked like clowns, but better look foolish than get sick.

Yes, we also washed hands.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 25, 2020 08:29PM
Did the ladies at the reception or the 2 nurses have masks on?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 25, 2020 08:30PM
jdc

no, none of them had any masks.

We did see another lady with her daughter leaving when we came in. Those were also not wearing masks.
Posted by: Diana
Date: March 25, 2020 09:12PM
The size of the “particle” or droplet is between 60 and 120 nm. The size of a leukocyte (the smallest of the 3 main immunity cells in the body) also varies a bit, and is about 12 um (micrometers). 1um is 1000 nm. The leukocyte fraction is the one containing the B cells and T cells, the cells involved in immunity response. Once they are subjected to attack, they present the antibodies required to mount the body’s defense.

Yes, this is a GROSS simplification of what happens; I’m not an immunologist but I work with a LOT of them so I may have this somewhat correct.

As far as the antibody test that people are going on about, I’m told that IgE is first presented, indicating that the cell has been very recent exposed, followed by IgM, indicating recent exposure/after infection. These antibody-based tests have not yet received Emergency Use authorization for clinical care in the US. I am also told that they can currently be used for research studies, to evaluate how frequent exposures have been in a region and potentially help prioritize people who should get the viral RNA-based tests. This is from an immunologist at work.

Hopefully the antibody testing will be approved. It’s fast, and it will answer the questions we all want answered.

Diana
Posted by: p8712
Date: March 25, 2020 09:26PM
Keep in mind stays have shown that these kind of homemade mask can actually increase the chances of infection due the added moisture.

Unless you’re infected, you don’t need a mask.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 25, 2020 09:57PM
space-time
I had to take my son to the doctor for allergy shots today, the CHOP (children's hospital of Philadelphia) NJ branch was empty. 3 ladies at the reception, 2 nurses in the allergy area, presumably also the doc was there, and a few more nurses in other area. We were the ONLY people there.

I recently finished up a course of allergy shots. You should probably check with the doctor before your next appointment. Yes, its potentially a pain but best to avoid the worst of two fates.

Posted by: jdc
Date: March 25, 2020 11:13PM
space-time
jdc

no, none of them had any masks.

We did see another lady with her daughter leaving when we came in. Those were also not wearing masks.

If I saw you with a mask on, I might say WTF are you doing out? Get home, get isolated, get away from everyone. Go to the hospital, stay away.

Cause the only peeps that should have masks on are the infected.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 25, 2020 11:20PM
My daughter, headed to the clinic today for a lab, with a mask made by the Girl Scouts:

She has a chronic cough so the mask is to protect others, more or less.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2020 11:20PM by Speedy.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 26, 2020 01:29PM
ztirffritz
If anyone is interested, I found a good 3D printable face mask that uses cotton makeup remover pads as a filter. Is it N95? No probably absolutely not. Is it better than nothing? Probably I have no idea, but it feels better to have something than nothing, and the placebo effect is clinically significant, so there!.

I encourage you to do for yourself what feels comforting and safe, but please don't offer others an unsubstantiated sense of protection by suggesting that it works.

As with all non-certified masks, it probably would reduce the risk of the wearer spreading infection to others. No evidence at all that it would protect the wearer from infection.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 26, 2020 04:39PM
N95 masks also don't offer much protection against viruses. They do however contain the exhalations of the wearer which can help reduce the spread of pathogens. If everyone is wearing a mask it collectively helps. Yes, they need to be cleaned and sanitized frequently.

Is the mask you have better than the mask you don't have? That's the question everyone needs to answer for themselves.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: March 26, 2020 04:44PM
ztirffritz
Is the mask you have better than the mask you don't have? That's the question everyone needs to answer for themselves.

I prefer to rely on experts for answers to such questions, but to each one's own.

rj
AKA
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 26, 2020 06:22PM
rjmacs
ztirffritz

I prefer to rely on experts for answers to such questions, but to each one's own.

The benefit of having everyone wear masks when leaving home is this:

Some people don't like wearing masks due to perceived stigma. A virus-carrier should wear a mask.

If everyone is wearing a mask, there's no stigma.

Date: March 27, 2020 01:56PM
Sarcany
rjmacs
ztirffritz

The benefit of having everyone wear masks when leaving home is this:

Some people don't like wearing masks due to perceived stigma. A virus-carrier should wear a mask.

If everyone is wearing a mask, there's no stigma.

This argument, if correct, will only be countered by a public service campaign that backs the practice.

rj
AKA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018