advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Send Apple feedback on Catalina's removal of Mail's column option
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: March 26, 2020 06:58AM
The new Catalina 10.15.4 did not bring back the missing column view (via View > Use Column Layout) to manage columns widths, click to sort by characteristics (like sender, subject, and size), nor the preferred ascending or descending first order.

Crazy that they would even think to remove this basic layout feature.

In any case, if you want to help get it back, here's Apple's link to giving this kind of specific feedback:

[www.apple.com]

"Bring back Mail's column sorting view" is probably good enough to get the point across.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Send Apple feedback on Catalina's removal of Mail's column option
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 26, 2020 07:10AM
Yet another reason to stick to Mojave for me. I don’t need to be forced to change my workflow thanks to Apple interface whims.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: March 26, 2020 08:15AM
Why would they take out an essential feature of email organization and viewing? I know they seem to be pushing people into 'conversation' views on iPhones, which I find confusing and unintuitive, but on computers?

I'm only on Sierra (10.12.6), and so far don't see any reason to 'upgrade'. If I didn't have email in columns, I'd have to find another email program that will run on Macs.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 26, 2020 08:52AM
mrlynn
Why would they take out an essential feature of email organization and viewing? I know they seem to be pushing people into 'conversation' views on iPhones, which I find confusing and unintuitive, but on computers?

I'm only on Sierra (10.12.6), and so far don't see any reason to 'upgrade'. If I didn't have email in columns, I'd have to find another email program that will run on Macs.

/Mr Lynn

I assume all changes are to 'unify' Mail to be the same on iOS and Macs.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 26, 2020 09:23AM
I'd like to send Apple feedback on the removal of Catalina's constant nagging to update.

Posted by: tuqqer
Date: March 26, 2020 09:44AM
bazookaman
I'd like to send Apple feedback on the removal of Catalina's constant nagging to update.

bazooka, check out this method of stopping the notifications. It's via the Terminal, but it works:

[macreports.com]

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 26, 2020 09:48AM
sekker
Apple interface whims.

Words I never thought I’d live to hear.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 26, 2020 09:55AM
sekker
I assume all changes are to 'unify' Mail to be the same on iOS and Macs.

agree smiley

Mail is a pain, but I've tried a handful of other mail apps over the years and all have their problems, from interface to usability to privacy concerns. There's no panacea of perfection for the program.

SmallCubed's Mail Suite (they're the guys who made Mac Act-On) makes a handful of things easier for me in daily use.

I've also created a small spate of Smart Folders that keep things rolling. (Several folders that arrange my inbox by date received; mailing list groupings; attachments; by clients; etc.)

One odd change that has helped me a lot is getting rid of the preview pane. Sounds silly, but when I get a bunch of messages in, I look at them in my "Inbox * Today" smart folder, delete any junk that SpamSieve may not have caught, then either open or delete mailing list messages. Filing is via keystroke (Mail Act-On).

But having the message open instead of via preview nudges me to perform the action on -- read, file, delete, print, etc. -- so I wind up with less noise when I go back to the mailbox.

I would still love to see a handful of changes done to Mail -- they change things from time to time but it's rarely for the better -- but given the alternatives I've tried, there's always problems. Mail's problems I can deal with.

Everyone needs some Uplifting News: [www.reddit.com]

BTW, it's spelled y'all
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 26, 2020 10:25AM
I gave up on AppleMail 10+ years ago. angry villagers smiley
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 26, 2020 11:19AM
tuqqer
bazookaman

bazooka, check out this method of stopping the notifications. It's via the Terminal, but it works:

[macreports.com]

Thanks! That worked.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 258
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018