advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
laptop bag: what do you like? I have 100 money to spend.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 27, 2020 01:56PM
Been given $100 allowance for a laptop bag. It was suggested I send HR an Amazon link for what I want and they'll buy it for me. If I want something fancy I can pay the difference however.

Amazon is just "what they're used to" (no contract with them per se) but if I wanted something from somewhere else they'd probably accept it so long as it could be purchased online.

My only experience with this sort of thing is with a basic Brenthaven bag. I've had it for probably 10 years and I gotta say it looks new. Two problems have occurred, both with the metal. The shoulder strap metal broke and so did the end of the zipper. Both are pot metal or something, and just gave out from age, not abuse.

Minimums would include a 15" laptop, the clunky power brick (PC makers = always innovating!) and a headset.

It's been suggested to look at something that can roll through an airport if planes ever become popular again, or perhaps a backpack style?

Bonus points for it not being all-black.

GO!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: laptop bag: what do you like? I have 100 money to spend.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 27, 2020 02:03PM
how about a messenger style?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 27, 2020 02:04PM

Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: March 27, 2020 02:06PM
This may be bigger than you're looking for, but is similar to the Targa case I've been using for the past ten years.

It has a handle and wheels and oodles of space. It has no shoulder strap, though.
Best of all -- with some gray in it, it's not all black!!!
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 27, 2020 02:06PM
The Timbuk2 convertible backpack/tote gets good reviews, reputable brand, almost exactly $100.

Sorry for Bezos-link - better representation of real world pricing than the Timbuk2 website.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 27, 2020 02:10PM
This is the one I got to go with my new (at the time) MBP. I wanted a messager style but not as big as a briefcase. This fit the bill perfectly. I also bought a gridit organizing "sheet" to go in it to hold all my dongles.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: SteveO
Date: March 27, 2020 02:31PM
I have a couple of bags from spireusa - designed and made in USA. Jeez...about 20 years now. Man. Anyway, they have held up great, both still look new and are lifetime (for real life) guarantee IIRC. They are messenger style. Both olive green and black though they likely have different colors these days.
Posted by: stephen
Date: March 27, 2020 02:36PM
I just bought a Kenneth Cole Reaction pack that I am very pleased with.

[www.officedepot.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 27, 2020 02:43PM
....$100 for the suggestions.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: d4
Date: March 27, 2020 02:44PM
I'm a fan of hardcase sleeves like the pelican or thule gauntlet. You can drop it into any backpack or briefcase and travel with it not looking like a laptop is in there.

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 27, 2020 03:13PM
Love my Dell laptop bag. Holds my two 2011’s, a 17” and a 15”, plus my 9.7” iPad. Plus all sorts of electronic paraphernalia in its four zippered side pockets. Very heavy duty. And no longer sold. I think I paid $20 for it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 27, 2020 03:22PM
Backpacks only for me... I've been using them since the 1960's, and for for computers since the 1990's (Yeah, I did have a bag for my Mac Plus, but it was too big to hang off my back).

My Sam's club Swiss bag has been doing great for many years now. I had to re-sew the pads once, but I have a heavy duty sewing machine.

The problem of course is that buying a bag is like buying shoes... you have no idea how they will fit until you try them on. Loaded and under stress. And all the specialty retail shops are SHUT.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 27, 2020 04:18PM
Not quite as aggressive as d4, but my go to has been a padded, form fitting, briefcase style sleeve for the laptop, which drops into a more fully featured laptop bag that easily handles all needed accessories. Sumdex, Targus, CaseLogic, Wenger, etc., have padded sleeves w/ handles for under $30, and there are plenty of laptop bags available for under $70 to complete the ensemble. I've got a few rolling bags leftover from the Pismo, and earlier days, and couple from the early 15" MBP size days, but at some point it became easier to use a more svelte laptop bag that worked w/ a rolling carry on bag.

I like d4's more substantive protection, but the laptop bags I'm partial to probably won't accommodate their added bulk. My fave is an older (red, of course) Heys laptop bag that has a well padded laptop compartment, so that w/ the laptop in its own padded sleeve, it's double padded in transit w/o much bulk.
==
Posted by: August West
Date: March 27, 2020 04:46PM
I've used Tom Bihn for the last 4 laptops. Expensive, but if someone was spotting me $100, I'd make up the difference.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: March 27, 2020 04:49PM
Osprey (I like their stuff) has several backpacks on sale today.
[www.osprey.com]

My new favorite walking-around bag is this one.
[smile.amazon.com]
It has plenty of room for a MacBook Air 11, but may be a little tight with a larger laptop. I think they say it'll fit a MBA 13.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 27, 2020 06:46PM
Lots of good suggestions, thanks. Absent the experience, these are my impression so tell me if I'm wrong.

backpacks ... too casual for business, or wouldn't look right with a potential suit?

sleeves ... I'm interested, but are they basically padded laptop covers or are they actual bags that can also house the power brick?

The Brenthaven I have doesn't look like it could hold much beyond a laptop but there's a zipper slot on one side for some papers and a central, deep pouch on the other that swallows power supply and a few other small things. It's just not enough for the headset as well (and like I said, it's kinda broken.)

I'm not opposed to messenger style.

Keep 'em coming, and I'll be looking over these some more.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 27, 2020 06:59PM
I've been using a Kensington messenger bag for more than 15 years.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 27, 2020 07:44PM
Went through a multi-month search, finally settled on a Samsonite business backpack for work AND had the trolley strap to fit on a roller bag for travel. Purchased at ebags.com

However, if you do not need that, I think Swissgear is fantastic in general. Just not very many with a trolley strap.
Posted by: Cary
Date: March 27, 2020 07:58PM
I've been using a backpack with suit/sport jacket for 20 years. My current is Everki - lots of great organization features. Really like it.
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 28, 2020 10:57AM
I like the messenger style over backpack because it’s at hand should I need something non-laptop quickly, like plane tickets or a phone charger.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 28, 2020 04:54PM
Adorama has the Peak Design 13 inch messenger for $100. I really like their 10L sling for my camera gear.

Peak Design messenger
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 167
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018