advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
No tax return, no stimulus check
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: March 28, 2020 02:09PM
Apparently the stimulus checks are only for people that have an income and have filed income taxes for 2018 or 2019. No tax return for those years, no stimulus check. Seems to me if they want to stimulate the economy they would give them to all legal U. S. citizens. Oh, well.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: No tax return, no stimulus check
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 28, 2020 02:10PM
Agreed.

Edit: Kiplinger recommends that you file a 2019 tax return that states your income accurately, even if it's zero or low enough that you don't owe taxes. Having that return on file with the IRS may put you in the pipeline to receive a check, even if it doesn't come in the first wave...

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2020 02:19PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 28, 2020 02:17PM
Rough times for many.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2020 02:18PM by bfd.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 28, 2020 02:19PM
It's not too late to file a 2019 return even if you had no income. I filed my mother's a few days ago, the only issue is since she was not getting a return, there was no way to get direct deposit. She'll have to wait for a paper check.

The other ones possibly shafted of young people who filed a return but are still listed as a dependent. Dependents don't get the check either and if they are over 17, the parents won't get the $500 addition either.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: hal
Date: March 28, 2020 02:26PM
DewGuy
Apparently the stimulus checks are only for people that have an income and have filed income taxes for 2018 or 2019. No tax return for those years, no stimulus check. Seems to me if they want to stimulate the economy they would give them to all legal U. S. citizens. Oh, well.

IF you don't file a tax return, how will the gov't know where to send your check?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 28, 2020 02:31PM
After the '94 Northridge Quake we received FEMA checks so quickly it was amazing. $2,000 per back then, guess earthquake property damage is more devastating than personal health or well being.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 28, 2020 02:38PM
If you aren’t making any income there is no lost wages so no need for a stimulus check.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 28, 2020 02:39PM
RgrF
After the '94 Northridge Quake we received FEMA checks so quickly it was amazing...

We had a real FEMA back then.

Posted by: vision63
Date: March 28, 2020 02:44PM
C(-)ris
If you aren’t making any income there is no lost wages so no need for a stimulus check.

The stimulus is for the economy. It doesn't matter who spends the money. It's to keep us from suffering a Depression. If it was based on income, then they'd call it a tax rebate a la GWB.
Date: March 28, 2020 02:57PM
vision63
C(-)ris

The stimulus is for the economy. It doesn't matter who spends the money. It's to keep us from suffering a Depression. If it was based on income, then they'd call it a tax rebate a la GWB.

I suppose, but if you had no income you probably have something else going on that would allow you to continue your current level of spending without a stimulus.

C(-)ris
Date: March 28, 2020 03:04PM
The original intent was to get the money out fast and get it into circulation, means testing of any sort would interfere with the intent.
Date: March 28, 2020 03:06PM
C(-)ris
vision63
C(-)ris

I suppose, but if you had no income you probably have something else going on that would allow you to continue your current level of spending without a stimulus.

Edit: removed unnecessary comment.

People are hurting right now, both people who are used to hurting and people who aren't.

I think it's appropriate, humane, prudent, and American to provide relief to all Americans regardless of income.

rj
AKA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2020 03:06PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 28, 2020 03:07PM
Just a thought but since Treasury issues payments to SDI, SSA, Veteran, etc. recipients;
would they not already have that data in their system?

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Date: March 28, 2020 03:12PM
rjmacs
C(-)ris
vision63
C(-)ris

Edit: removed unnecessary comment.

People are hurting right now, both people who are used to hurting and people who aren't.

I think it's appropriate, humane, prudent, and American to provide relief to all Americans regardless of income.

Someone who makes no income but has $1M in savings should get a check? Perhaps for those who do not have income they need to have some sort of asset verification.

C(-)ris
Date: March 28, 2020 03:13PM
MrNoBody
Just a thought but since Treasury issues payments to SDI, SSA, Veteran, etc. recipients;

It appears so, but coordination isn't going to be seamless.

The New York Times has a non-paywalled FAQ page on stimulus payments.

It specifically affirms that SDI/SSA/VA disability folks will get checks, and AARP has confirmed that low-income Social Security recipients will also qualify.

As of now, if you have little or no income, and the ability to file a 2019 tax return, that's likely the surest way to be sure you'll be considered properly. Others with SDI/SSA/VA disability income but without returns will be processed, but it could be slower....

rj
AKA
Date: March 28, 2020 03:14PM
We don't have any income to file a tax return for. The IRS has our banking info from when we did file a few years back or they could have an application for those who don't file. Yes, life will go on for us without a stimulus check, but it would have been nice if everybody got one. "c'est la vie"
Date: March 28, 2020 03:16PM
C(-)ris
rjmacs

Someone who makes no income but has $1M in savings should get a check? Perhaps for those who do not have income they need to have some sort of asset verification.

For every real actual person you can come up with who has $1M in savings but no reported income, I guarantee that I can find you at least a thousand real actual people who have no savings and also no reported income.

I'll take that trade-off for the good of humanity and the country, even if a few people with trust funds get checks.

rj
AKA
Date: March 28, 2020 03:18PM
DewGuy
We don't have any income to file a tax return for. The IRS has our banking info from when we did file a few years back or they could have an application for those who don't file. Yes, life will go on for us without a stimulus check, but it would have been nice if everybody got one. "c'est la vie"

You don't have to have income to file a tax return.

If you file a 2019 tax return now, even with no reported income, you will still be eligible to receive a check.

This message is not getting through to people in this thread.

Edited for emphasis.

rj
AKA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2020 03:19PM by rjmacs.
Date: March 28, 2020 03:19PM
rjmacs
C(-)ris
rjmacs

For every real actual person you can come up with who has $1M in savings but no reported income, I guarantee that I can find you at least a thousand real actual people who have no savings and also no reported income.

I'll take that trade-off for the good of humanity and the country, even if a few people with trust funds get checks.

Fair enough.

C(-)ris
Date: March 28, 2020 03:34PM
rjmacs
DewGuy

If you file a 2019 tax return now, even with no reported income, you will still be eligible to receive a check.

Edited for emphasis.

Yes, it got through. I read it. Maybe I'm dense, but how can you file a return without any income?
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 28, 2020 03:38PM
DewGuy
rjmacs
DewGuy

Edited for emphasis.

Yes, it got through. I read it. Maybe I'm dense, but how can you file a return without any income?

Write "0" in all the income and tax blanks and mail it in. Seriously.
Date: March 28, 2020 03:43PM
Acer
DewGuy
rjmacs
DewGuy

Edited for emphasis.

Write "0" in all the income and tax blanks and mail it in. Seriously.

just be aware that you will have to likely wait for a paper check, since they will not have your bank info for direct deposit. I have read where it may take several months to send out the paper checks.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: March 28, 2020 03:44PM
They Postponed the filing dat until July 15 so a lot of people will not have their taxes filed at this point.
Date: March 28, 2020 03:45PM
The sooner you get in line, the sooner you get a paper check - if you're getting a paper check. Just sayin'.

rj
AKA
Re: No tax return = slower stimulus check
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 28, 2020 05:10PM
The subject should be: No tax return = slower stimulus check.

rjmacs
MrNoBody

It appears so, but coordination isn't going to be seamless.

The New York Times has a non-paywalled FAQ page on stimulus payments.

It specifically affirms that SDI/SSA/VA disability folks will get checks, and AARP has confirmed that low-income Social Security recipients will also qualify.

As of now, if you have little or no income, and the ability to file a 2019 tax return, that's likely the surest way to be sure you'll be considered properly. Others with SDI/SSA/VA disability income but without returns will be processed, but it could be slower....

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Microman
Date: March 28, 2020 06:17PM
I did someones taxes that made 9800.00 dollars in 2019. 2 Kids and Divorced. Head of Household. With the EIC, Earned Income Credit, she gets back over $6k Federal, and over $2k California. And she paid in less than $100 for both Fed and State. Never dealt with a tax return like that
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 28, 2020 06:32PM
Microman
I did someones taxes that made 9800.00 dollars in 2019. 2 Kids and Divorced. Head of Household. With the EIC, Earned Income Credit, she gets back over $6k Federal, and over $2k California. And she paid in less than $100 for both Fed and State. Never dealt with a tax return like that

Bravo on raising 2 kids on that kind of money.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 28, 2020 07:13PM

You guys get me a little verklempt.

Bravo, to you as well.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 28, 2020 07:44PM
vision63
Microman

Absolutely! EIC is part of the juggling act.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 29, 2020 04:13AM
there is a huge assumption that there wasn't any unreported income.
Date: March 29, 2020 07:58AM
C(-)ris
rjmacs
C(-)ris
rjmacs

Fair enough.

Poem ” Bani Adam” from Saadi Shirazi

It's in Arabic and I attempted to copy/paste the original, the forum apparently doesn't allow for any but English text.
A simple translation might be:

The sons of Adam are limbs of each other,
Having been created of one essence.
When the calamity of time affects one limb
The other limbs cannot remain at rest.
If you have no sympathy for the troubles of others,
You are unworthy to be called by the name of a Human.

Hopefully the meaning wasn't distorted in translation.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 29, 2020 09:49AM
I'm curious how they're going to handle all the people (like me) who haven't gotten around to filing their 2019 return yet.

I'm seeing that TurboTax is saying on their blog to file this year's return ASAP, I'm guessing for this reason?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: March 29, 2020 10:26AM
PeterB
I'm curious how they're going to handle all the people (like me) who haven't gotten around to filing their 2019 return yet.

I'm seeing that TurboTax is saying on their blog to file this year's return ASAP, I'm guessing for this reason?

If you filed a 2018 return than that gets used first. they will only look at 2019 if you do not have a 2018 return on file.

(which makes me chuckle as I have a neighbor bitching that he won't get his fair share. He hasn't filed since 2016 (and not because he doesn't have income, he just thinks taxes aren't fair)

Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 29, 2020 10:43AM
graylocks
vision63
Microman

Absolutely! EIC is part of the juggling act.

When I was doing taxes for lower income single parents, I would explain that if they could report $xxxx in cash wages from misc sources, it would maximize their EIC benefits.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 29, 2020 11:02AM
Ombligo
PeterB

If you filed a 2018 return than that gets used first. they will only look at 2019 if you do not have a 2018 return on file.

Curious, then why is TurboTax urging to file for this year??

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 355
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018