advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $567.77 ( +43.02 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
daisy chain surge protectors/UPS, OK or not?
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 10, 2007 11:06AM
Hi,

situation 1: I have a UPS that I cannot place close enough to the DVR it's supposed to power up, so I need to use an extension cord, which in fact is a Surge Protector. The UPS itself has surge protection circuitry, so am I doing something wrong by having in fact two surge protector in series?

situation 2: similar to above, I have to use a surge protector/extension cord to reach to some small appliances, and then another one to reach to another small appliance. Both of these "extension cords" are in fact surge protectors (like situation 1 above except no UPS). Again, OK or NOT OK?

In all cases, the power consumption of these devices is extremely small (i.e. small external speakers, battery chargers, all only a few watts, and a DVR which takes 40 W when ON and 9 when OFF). Oh, and the PowerBook brick, 65W.

All added up are only 200-300 W, well below >1 kW range of these cords (110 V * 10-15A each)

Thanks for advice.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: daisy chain surge protectors/UPS, OK or not?
Posted by: jeffNOTjon
Date: February 10, 2007 11:40AM
From Belkin:

1. A surge protect uses MOV's ( metal Oxide Varistors) to absorb excess voltage on the power line. These components caoont be put in series, and that is exactly what happens when a surge protector is plugged into another surge protector. Plugging one surge protector into another surge protector will cause the surge protector to malfunction.

2. Any corded multiple outlet power strip or surge protector has a built-in 15-amp circuit braker. That circuit breaker is designed to "pop" if the amperage being pulled by the devices plugged into the outlets exceeds 15 amps. Most devices pull .05 to 1.5 amps. With 8 outlets that is an average pull of 12 amps, just under the maximum. Now if you plug a power strip or surge protector into one of those outlets, you may well exceed the maximum amperage on one outlet alone. Plugging in an additional surge protector or power strip will certainly overload the amperage rating of the primary surge protector or power strip.

3. A UPS uses extremely sensitive electrical components, which monitor incommin power and provide battery backup when necessary. Plugging a UPS into a surge protector will cause the UPS to receive pre-filtered power and will also cause MOV's used in both a UPS and Surge protector to be in series, as ciscussed above this will cause the MOV's to malfunction..

4. Plugging a surge protector into a UPS to get additional outlets on the downstream side of the UPS is not accpetable. This will overload the UPS and cause excess wear on the internal battery.

5. Extention cords are desigened as " temporary" power taps. They are not intended to be used on a daily basis and your local fire department will warn againts this. We cannot suggest daily use and therefore we do not allow extension cords to be used in conjunction with our Belkin products.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 10, 2007 11:42AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

VTPKL it!
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 10, 2007 11:45AM
not good form; UPS's generally need to be the sole "control" device, but for small draw devices you can probably get away with it. in an ideal world, you also wouldn't even use long extension cords [>10ft] with your UPS's, but reality has a nasty way of kicking in. if possible, buy or trade for a couple of non surge protected cords/strips.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 10, 2007 02:16PM
>>Extention cords are desigened as " temporary" power taps.

I'm not sure I'd trust a source that warns about the dangers of extension cords. You have to do something stupid with an extension cord to cause trouble.

VTPKL it!
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: February 10, 2007 02:22PM
If I use an extension cord to extend a surge protector or UPS, I always use a three wire 15 amp type that is just long enough to reach the item.
Never use a long one and coil the excess cord, it will heat up and cause problems.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 10, 2007 06:44PM
Spend a few bucks for a couple short extension cords.

Posted by: M A V I C
Date: February 10, 2007 09:47PM
mattkime
>>Extention cords are desigened as " temporary" power taps.

I'm not sure I'd trust a source that warns about the dangers of extension cords. You have to do something stupid with an extension cord to cause trouble.

Well, I know in at least a few parts of the US it's against fire code to daisy chain plug strips. That includes plugging an extension cord into a surge protector. As BGnR noted, depending on the type of cable used, one can run into trouble without doing anything "stupid."

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login