advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
March 29, 2012: Apple settles its “Antennagate” giving iPhone 4 owners $15 payout.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 29, 2020 04:49PM
[www.cultofmac.com]

March 29, 2012: Apple settles its “Antennagate” controversy by giving affected iPhone 4 owners the chance to claim a whopping $15 payout.

The settlement covers customers who experienced problems with the phone dropping calls due to its cutting-edge design, but were not able to return their handsets (or didn’t want a free bumper from Apple to mitigate against the problem).
While it’s arguable whether a $15 payout was worth all the forms customers had to fill out to claim their cash, the Antennagate story and the subsequent class-action lawsuit generated big headlines at the time.

Antennagate: A uniquely Apple controversy
Antennagate referred to the tendency of the iPhone 4 to occasionally drop calls when held a certain way. The problem proved particularly vexing when users held the phone in their left hands in such a way that their palms covered the device’s tiny antenna gap.

A bit like 2014’s “Bendgate” controversy with the iPhone 6 Plus, Antennagate was massively overblown by the media. The antenna problem affected only around one call in a hundred.

However, things came to a head when respected trade publication Consumer Reports said it could not recommend the iPhone 4 because of the defect. In the aftermath, Steve Jobs flew back early from a family holiday in Kona Village, Hawaii, to address the problem at a press conference.

By being honest about the antenna problem, but standing by the iPhone 4, Jobs defused the situation. Antennagate failed to prompt the mass iPhone returns some feared. Nonetheless, Antennagate remains a significant moment in Apple history for several reasons.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: March 29, 2012: Apple settles its “Antennagate” giving iPhone 4 owners $15 payout.
Posted by: fauch
Date: March 29, 2020 09:16PM
I never got my 15 bucks!!!
Re: March 29, 2012: Apple settles its “Antennagate” giving iPhone 4 owners $15 payout.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 29, 2020 09:52PM
fauch
I never got my 15 bucks!!!

Me, neither!
Posted by: SteveO
Date: March 30, 2020 02:54PM
Me neither! But I had a 4s. 4S? 4 Ess? Forest?...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 221
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018