advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Michigan State University...
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 29, 2020 08:44PM
...Was one of the first to cancel in-person classes. (Possibly part of the reason is the president has a background in biomedical research.)

But they did not close the campus and/or dorms and kick everyone out. I'm not sure they could because MSU has about 5,000 students from China.

I feel bad for those kids because they are stuck here. Maybe with things improving in China they might be able to go home but previously, it was certainly impossible.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Michigan State University...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 29, 2020 09:02PM
I didn't realize it, but apparently my own institution did NOT kick everyone out of the dorms ... there are still a few living there, because apparently they're international students and had no way of getting home...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 29, 2020 09:15PM
Yes, sending students to study in their dorm rooms.
Posted by: Don C
Date: March 29, 2020 09:17PM
Same with the universities here. Foreign students for whom return home is not really an option. Wonder how food services work for them. Does a crew come in to provide meals or do they fend for themselves?. I have not heard.
Posted by: timg
Date: March 29, 2020 09:49PM
At Yale, they closed the university, but are housing and feeding those with nowhere to go.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 29, 2020 11:07PM
At MSU, dorm food services are still operating, but only as grab-and-go, not for sit-down meals in the cafeterias. I assume they also reduced their footprint significantly.

Also, many students live off campus.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 30, 2020 01:00AM
Where I work they sent everyone home but those who couldn't go. International students and those who live too far away to travel home are still around, but all classes are online. Some of the students living off campus in apartments also stayed from what I am hearing.

Two of four dining commons are open, all food is takeout.

Almost all students lost their campus jobs, one of the lone exceptions are some students who are drivers for the bus service. Buses are on a reduced schedule similar to that for Winter or Summer breaks. The buses are needed by many to get to the grocery stores, etc.

Due to the timing of the administration's decision to go to online classes for the rest of the semester, many students will need to come back at some point to move out their belongings from the dorms. Right up until just before 5 PM the Friday before Spring Break the plan was for 2 weeks of online classes after the break, and then return. Most of the students had already left, students who had received permission to stay on campus had to be out by the following Saturday of the break.
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 30, 2020 06:01AM
My college has some international students still on campus. The academic buildings are generally locked now and the food service is essentially by appointment--the students give a time they'll be there and the food is available then in carry-out containers, apparently passed out by a cop! The library is opened for students individually and they are assigned places to sit. If they need a book from the shelves, they text the librarians who they go get it. Sounds like they're keeping the students as far away from each other as possible.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 30, 2020 09:57AM
Cleveland State had allowed some students to stay with waivers. They booted the last few last week, because the dorms are all being turned into hospital overflow. Case Western Reserve did the same thing.

Most international students went back home as soon as they could when all this started to get bad in early March.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 240
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018