advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Installing El Cap on 3 Old Lappies - Steps? Set clocks back?
Posted by: SteveO
Date: March 31, 2020 12:16PM
1. I have El Cap ready to install on my Mavs machines: '10 MBP and '09 MB.

2. Also installing it on another '09 MB (buddy's machine) that is giving him the question mark when he starts up. (No luck with DFA from install dvd.) So I've got a spare old 80gb data backup drive I'm giving him. Putting El Cap on this also, does there need to be a previous step to that, like installing Snow Leopard, then x, then x...? Or can it just be erased and install El Cap? Guessing I'll need the original install dvd handy to start up from since the target HDD is empty...and then can I insert thumb drive and install El Cap from there - without installing anything else first?

Can this be done from the El Cap installer directly from my '10 MBP to the 80gb drive in an external case? I tried it but it didn't take. Maybe I did it wrong. I selected that external as the target.

SO...best bet is to install El Cap on all 3 machines from a thumb drive, correct? Was there some odd pre-req of having to set the clocks to a certain date on my Mavs machines, like pre-2014? I think I did that with the Mavs install a few years ago but my memory is unclear. Anything else I need to know? Do I need to start up from the install dvd for the respective machines, and THEN access the thumb drive installer? Or can I just skip the install dvd step, pop the thumb drive in, open El Cap installer from thumb, follow the prompts to install?

If you you think Mavs is just plain better than El Cap, please advise. I don't recall now if El Cap had any major drawbacks vs Mavs. If there's a major drawback, then I'll just install Mavs onto buddy's machine and be done with it all. Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Installing El Cap on 3 Old Lappies - Steps? Set clocks back?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 31, 2020 12:26PM
Maybe make one “master” install,and clone it to each laptop. Then migrate data as needed from/for each laptop.
==
Posted by: SteveO
Date: March 31, 2020 12:35PM
Don't need to migrate any data, just need to do the install. Just wondering what the correct steps are for that...turn clocks back on each machine? Start first from that respective machine's install DVD? Keep in mind that buddy's MB is starting from scratch, he had no backups.

On the BLANK disc: Do I need to put SL on that first, then go El Cap from thumb? Can I skip SL? What's the correct install sequence? He needs it today to write a grad school paper that's due Friday. Thanks again.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 31, 2020 12:51PM
Firmware updateS?
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 31, 2020 03:19PM
[support.apple.com]

I’d do this download on one of the Mavs Macs and then install onto the other drives. Messing with the date isn’t needed if you follow the directions in the link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 03:25PM by btfc.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 31, 2020 05:42PM
I've been installing a bunch of older OS's recently. If you follow btfc's link to get a new installer, there's no clock nonsense needed. However, the installer won't launch from a newer operating system. So, you either need to already have an El Capitan system (or older) to boot from to launch the installer, or you need to create a bootable USB thumb drive (probably easiest). [Just remembered your Mav OS is older than El Cap] AFAIK, you can't boot from a recovery CD, and use an installer on the thumb drive. You'd have have to install the OS from the recovery CD first, so that you can boot into a working OS, then use the installer app.

There are various examples of how to make a bootable USB installer (I made a Yosemite USB Installer from some MacWorld instructions using Disk Utility and copying some files in the finder), and there are terminal commands to do it also.

But, it's probably easiest just to use DiskMaker X: [diskmakerx.com] (Currently making a combo Mountain Lion/Mavericks) thumb drive using the Pro version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 05:44PM by Gareth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 208
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018