advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I wanna cry... I can't figure out how to get sound out of my receiver
Posted by: hal
Date: March 31, 2020 04:36PM
Short version - I want to get sound from my new mac mini to my AV receiver via toslink cable, but it isn't working! Waaaaa!

Long Version:
I bought this AV receiver 8 years ago or so. It replaced my FIRST AV receiver that was at least 15 years old. I've always been that guy that you called to help setup new equipment, but when this thing arrived, I stared at the rear inputs and my eyes just glazed over. I know it's partly me and partly this @#$%& pioneer receiver - it's needlessly complicated. It has all kinds of inputs, but in order to initially set it up I needed to access the onscreen menu (for a receiver??), but that could only be accessed via the peculiar video cable input (that three cable thingy with 2 RCAs and a headphone kinda thingy for video??). I finally found one and set it up and that was that.

I have this thing connected to a mac mini and a BR player - it works.

YEARS LATER I get a 4K TV but completely forgot that this receiver won't do 4k - I use the new TV at 1080p - underwhelming.

Another year later I find a deal on a 2018 mac mini that I can't refuse and decide that it's time to step up to REAL 4K.

I set up the computer with the account from the old one, pull the HDMI cord from the receiver and connect it to the new mini. Oh, god the picture is WONDERFUL! Now audio... I get the old toslink cable with adapter that I used on my 2012 imac and connect to the mini and then to the receiver and .... nothing.

I look and look and look for how to get the audio input from the toslink cable to go over the speakers and NOTHING works. Nothing... not any noise at all. I look at the manual. it's complications within complications... I make what appears to be the proper selection, but I get nothing.

Now I'm trying to decide what to do next... put my old computer back together again and just sell this thing off? Replace the old receiver? Try to find analog cables - but then I'd still need to fig how to get sound to the speakers...

UGH!

I wanna cry...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 05:25PM by hal.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I wanna cry... I can't figure out how to get sound out of my my receiver
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 31, 2020 04:42PM
There is no TOSLINK on the mini, IIRC. And there's no analog audio in. It's ethernet, Tbolt, or USB. I'm guessing you're plugging into the headphone out on the mini. it doesn't take input.

You could buy something converts TOSLINK to USB. I assume such are around. Maybe one of these?

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 31, 2020 04:43PM
I have never understood TOSlink. Is there a way you can go a bit more low tech?

Date: March 31, 2020 04:53PM
the mini has analog/optical output on the headphone jack

but I really @#$%& it all up - tried to put it back the way it was and have FAILED! Now I got nothin' at all - no audio, no video... @#$%&!!!
Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 31, 2020 05:01PM
The mini should send sound output over HDMI. There should be no need for the toslink cable. Make sure the mini's sound output is set to HDMI and see if that works. Hopefully you haven't messed up the receiver's audio source for the HDMI input. If it doesn't work right away, try it with a different HDMI port on the receiver that you haven't messed with.
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 31, 2020 05:06PM
“ The mini should send sound output over HDMI.”

Was just about to make the same point.

“ If your HDMI device isn't receiving audio from your Mac:
Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Sound. In the Output pane, make sure that your HDMI device is selected.
If you're connecting using a Mini DisplayPort adapter, make sure that your Mac can send audio over Mini DisplayPort.
If you're connecting from a Mac mini, unplug any audio device that is plugged into your computer's Audio-Out port.”

[support.apple.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 05:11PM by btfc.
Date: March 31, 2020 05:19PM
Thanks all - I managed to kinda get it working.

Yes, sound goes over hdmi, but I want the video signal to go to the TV and the audio to the receiver. The TV doesn't have speakers, but I always wondered by it was an option under the System Prefs > Audio... I had a brainstorm... I saw a toslink port on the back of the TV and a little squinting shows that it was for audio out. So I tried that - I removed the little adapter and put it into the TVs optical port and after a little button pushing, I got audio coming out the speakers!!!!!

It's not 5.1, but at least I'll be able to watch TV for now until I get the rest fig'd out.
Date: March 31, 2020 06:12PM
Ah, I assumed all video was being routed through the receiver.

Check if you your TV and Receiver support Audio Return Channel (ARC). This allows the audio from the TV to be sent back to the Receiver over an HDMI cable connected between the TV and Receiver.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 31, 2020 06:17PM
anonymouse1
There is no TOSLINK on the mini, IIRC. And there's no analog audio in. It's ethernet, Tbolt, or USB.

And HDMI.

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 31, 2020 06:24PM
Gareth
The mini should send sound output over HDMI. There should be no need for the toslink cable. Make sure the mini's sound output is set to HDMI and see if that works. Hopefully you haven't messed up the receiver's audio source for the HDMI input. If it doesn't work right away, try it with a different HDMI port on the receiver that you haven't messed with.

The mini uses HDMI 2.0, which OP's eight-year-old receiver does not support. This could be the cause of the problem.

If OP's TV has audio out ports, OP can try this:

- HDMI cable between mini and TV
- stereo audio cable between TV and receiver

Personally, I would try this first:

- HDMI cable between TV and receiver

Also, OP needs to use a certified HDMI cable between the mini and the TV to ensure full functionality. Monoprice has 'em cheap: [www.monoprice.com]

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 06:24PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: March 31, 2020 06:38PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Gareth

The mini uses HDMI 2.0, which OP's eight-year-old receiver does not support. This could be the cause of the problem.

I'd be willing to bet HDMI 2.0 is not the problem. My receiver is of similar vintage (if not older) and I have no such issues.

N-OS X-tasy!
If OP's TV has audio out ports, OP can try this:

- stereo audio cable between TV and receiver

That's what hal just set up, but using a toslink cable from the TV to receiver. But as is common with TV's, the audio outputs don't always support 5.1, just stereo.

N-OS X-tasy!
Personally, I would try this first:

- HDMI cable between TV and receiver

That's what I suggested in my last post, however that requires both the TV and the Receiver to support ARC (Audio Return Channel), which, if the Receiver is 8 years old, it may not, now that I think about it.
Date: March 31, 2020 06:47PM
So apple removed optical audio in the 2018 mini models - that sucks. But I'm sure VERY few people ever used it.

It does seem that the TV is not putting out 5.1 - seems to be functioning just fine otherwise.

At least I can watch TV tonight - I'll tackle the rest of this project another day, but it DOES look like some additional hardware is required to get 4K AND 5.1 out of my mini.

edit: do ya think that a USBC > toslink cable would do it? I got lots of USBC ports

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 06:48PM by hal.
Date: March 31, 2020 06:55PM
hal
edit: do ya think that a USBC > toslink cable would do it? I got lots of USBC ports

Absolutely. Although I wonder if you'd have any sync errors with the added conversion.

You could also try an HDMI Audio extractor: [www.monoprice.com]

But the USB->Toslink might be cheaper.
Date: March 31, 2020 07:17PM
[www.amazon.com]

how bout this thing - it seems to be saying what I want to hear...

edit: I can't find a simple USB-C > toslink adapter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 07:17PM by hal.
Date: March 31, 2020 07:35PM
hal
[www.amazon.com]

how bout this thing - it seems to be saying what I want to hear...

I generally trust Monoprice more with these sorts of devices, but with free returns, I'd give it a shot. It's unclear if the one on Amazon supports 4k@60fps. The Monoprice one might have more bandwidth (but you may not need it all anyway). Strangely, the one on Amazon says "Not support copyright protected content" which I would interpret as not being compliant with HDCP, but one of the reviews says it solved his HDCP problems, so go figure.
Date: March 31, 2020 08:28PM
I just read over the manual of the monoprice thing and I like the sounds of it - you just know that amz one will be in chinese. Monoprice has support too.
Re: I wanna cry... I can't figure out how to get sound out of my receiver
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 01, 2020 06:46AM
Does the receiver not have HDMI switching? All my "stuff" goes into my receiver with one HDMI cable out to the TV. So no sound ever comes from the TV. Always the receiver. Or did I miss this part somewhere in the discussion?

Posted by: pdq
Date: April 01, 2020 09:22AM
hal
So apple removed optical audio in the 2018 mini models - that sucks. But I'm sure VERY few people ever used it.

It does seem that the TV is not putting out 5.1 - seems to be functioning just fine otherwise.

Not all TVs do. My older Samsung only put stereo (IIRC) out of the optical audio out port. My newer one outputs 5.1 (or better, I forget).

Most AV receivers have multiple HDMI inputs these days - you could go mini to AVR via HDMI, then AVR to TV via HDMI.

I personally dislike this arrangement, because it requires the AVR to be on all the time in order to hear the TV and I don’t use surround sound when watching TV that often. Also, if you use your AVR for other things (like music, video game console, etc) you need multiple remotes and fiddling with “sources”.

So the optical multichannel audio out from TV to AVR is my preferred solution.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 01, 2020 09:47AM
Does your TV have Optical (TOSlink) output? If so, do this:

Mini to TV via HDMI
TV to receiver via TOSlink.

I did this years ago. The benefit is that the TV will play audio from any device connected to it without the receiver being on. When I want to have surround sound or better audio, I turn the TV volume down to zero and use the receiver. The other benefit is that you don't need to change the receiver input for different devices.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 01, 2020 11:04AM
.....don't cry for me......Argentina......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: April 01, 2020 11:23AM
bazookaman
Does the receiver not have HDMI switching? All my "stuff" goes into my receiver with one HDMI cable out to the TV. So no sound ever comes from the TV. Always the receiver. Or did I miss this part somewhere in the discussion?

Presumably (as the receiver is 8 years old) it does not support 4k.

macphanatic
Does your TV have Optical (TOSlink) output? If so, do this:

Mini to TV via HDMI
TV to receiver via TOSlink.

hal set this up already. The TV does not support 5.1 on its optical output.
Date: April 01, 2020 12:54PM
Thanks gareth - yes those are the right answers.

At least TV last night was not disappointing. Much of what I watch is in 2.0, so that;s not a great loss, but the finally using the 4k screen for real is wonderful.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 238
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018