The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Interesting; engineered Abs against SARS-CoV-2
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 31, 2020 04:46PM
Apologies if already posted:

[www.wwltv.com]
(Group in CA has engineered SARS antibodies to make them effective against SARS-CoV-2)

Putting aside the hyperbole and question of whether or not this will actually work, from a scientific perspective, I find it an interesting approach and very promising. Presumably this would work as a treatment, NOT so much as a vaccine, unless the immune system can be 'taught' to produce similar antibodies as the ones which are administered.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 04:46PM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Interesting; engineered Abs against SARS-CoV-2
Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 31, 2020 04:58PM
I thought this thread was going be about getting 6-pack abs to fight coronavirus. smiling smiley
Date: March 31, 2020 05:12PM
Sorry. Abs = antibodies.

Passive administration of anti-CoV-2 antibodies is already being done -- someone who has recovered from the illness has antibodies that can be given to someone who is fighting the illness and is in a desperate condition. What this guy has done is to take previously existent anti-SARS antibodies, intentionally engineered them to try to be more effective against CoV-2. The advantage there is they could be mass-produced in large quantity.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 31, 2020 05:21PM
....now everyone will be getting washboard abs.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 31, 2020 05:35PM
And your immune system will no doubt attack these artificially produced antibodies. Win - win.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: March 31, 2020 05:44PM
Speedy
And your immune system will no doubt attack these artificially produced antibodies. Win - win.

No, not necessarily. That's why they have to be tested. Antibody therapy has been around for a long time, and recently engineered antibodies used for things like treating migraine headache and intractable hives. They actually generally work very well, though it's true that you do want to monitor the patient receiving them to make sure that they don't have an anaphylactic response to the antibodies (rare, but can happen).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 05:44PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 31, 2020 07:00PM
PeterB
...recently engineered antibodies used for things like treating migraine headache and intractable hives.

Interesting, something I may need to look into.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: March 31, 2020 07:16PM
PeterB
engineered Abs against SARS-CoV-2

Date: March 31, 2020 07:22PM
Gareth
PeterB
...recently engineered antibodies used for things like treating migraine headache and intractable hives.

Interesting, something I may need to look into.

One of my S-I-L's started using this for her migraine headaches, which were debilitating (she was getting them every 1-2 days) ... and it has worked very well for her so far... nearly ZERO headaches now. (Of course, this was all before what we are now dealing with...)

[americanmigrainefoundation.org]

Posted by: Janit
Date: April 01, 2020 06:21AM
This is very encouraging. It is frustrating that the linked article calls it a potential "cure," because it's not that simple.

The great potential for this treatment is that it can buy more time for the development of a vaccine. Even if this antibody is effective, it will only confer short-term protection against the virus, and a vaccine will still be necessary to bring the pandemic under real control.

This is fantastic stuff, and shows why it is so important to fund both basic research and public health initiatives. I remember a time when the engineering and production of such an antibody with such specificity was beyond anyone's imagining.

OMG, I've become an old fogey! old fogey smiley
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 01, 2020 08:01AM
....do planks......to fortify your abs.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: April 01, 2020 08:11AM
Janit
This is very encouraging. It is frustrating that the linked article calls it a potential "cure," because it's not that simple.

The great potential for this treatment is that it can buy more time for the development of a vaccine. Even if this antibody is effective, it will only confer short-term protection against the virus, and a vaccine will still be necessary to bring the pandemic under real control.

This is fantastic stuff, and shows why it is so important to fund both basic research and public health initiatives. I remember a time when the engineering and production of such an antibody with such specificity was beyond anyone's imagining.

You're not the only old fogey around here!

And agreed about the phraseology in the article; that's why I said hyperbole. Still, having something that will directly attack this virus is a good thing ... and as you said, will buy time for a real vaccine. In a worst case scenario, if no working vaccine is developed, I could see someone receiving this treatment every month or so, to confer protection. (That's typically what people who are getting Aimovig have to do for migraines; it's a small price to pay to not be getting daily migraines!)

Posted by: Janit
Date: April 01, 2020 09:06AM
PeterB
Janit

And agreed about the phraseology in the article; that's why I said hyperbole. Still, having something that will directly attack this virus is a good thing ... and as you said, will buy time for a real vaccine. In a worst case scenario, if no working vaccine is developed, I could see someone receiving this treatment every month or so, to confer protection. (That's typically what people who are getting Aimovig have to do for migraines; it's a small price to pay to not be getting daily migraines!)

Yeah, can you imagine a society in which there are only two protections against this virus, either monthly injections of antibody, or the Russian Roulette of surviving a case of Covid-19 disease? I see a novel in this.

I also wonder about the basis for the wide variation in disease response, and whether some of this could result from genetic predispositions -- either immune system polymorphisms or variations in the sequence or distribution of surface proteins in the respiratory tract. Usually tough stuff to study, but this pandemic is going to generate a lot of data.

If there are immune system polymorphisms at play, then the population inclined to get seriously ill may also be less efficient at responding to a vaccine. I suppose this is why vaccines are such a witch's brew of adjuvants etc.
Date: April 01, 2020 11:36AM
Janit
PeterB
Janit

Yeah, can you imagine a society in which there are only two protections against this virus, either monthly injections of antibody, or the Russian Roulette of surviving a case of Covid-19 disease? I see a novel in this.

I also wonder about the basis for the wide variation in disease response, and whether some of this could result from genetic predispositions -- either immune system polymorphisms or variations in the sequence or distribution of surface proteins in the respiratory tract. Usually tough stuff to study, but this pandemic is going to generate a lot of data.

If there are immune system polymorphisms at play, then the population inclined to get seriously ill may also be less efficient at responding to a vaccine. I suppose this is why vaccines are such a witch's brew of adjuvants etc.

I'm CERTAIN that there are genetic variations that may explain why some people are getting so hard hit, versus others for whom they have a really bad day of awful symptoms, but then seem to be clearing the infection within a day or so. (Kaylee Hartung, an ABC reporter, seems to be in that latter category... here's a video of her: [www.youtube.com] )

Also, probably just a totally dumb idea, but I wonder why they can't take virus samples from patients, heat-kill the virus, then inject that into volunteers to get them to mount an immune response? (Maybe plus adjuvant?) I know that's a crude and very old-fashioned way of doing things, but sometimes the older methods are best.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 01, 2020 02:52PM
PeterB
Also, probably just a totally dumb idea, but I wonder why they can't take virus samples from patients, heat-kill the virus, then inject that into volunteers to get them to mount an immune response? (Maybe plus adjuvant?) I know that's a crude and very old-fashioned way of doing things, but sometimes the older methods are best.

I'm with you on that. See my other posts...

Perhaps my naivety is showing, but I keep saying we know how to produce vaccines because we've been doing it for more than a half century and have produced many. Let's go!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 156
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018