advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hard to get a meal if you don't own a car
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 02, 2020 06:09PM
Decided to get some exercise and ride by bicycle into work when I need to go in, deemed essential. Definitely feel much better after getting two 7 mile rides in a day. I did realize that with all restaurants closed and fast food limited to drive through that it is harder to get food if you don't have a car. Every drive thru I've been to does not allow walk up or ride up service. Must be in a car. Most places aren't doing curb side either so you are SOL. Never really thought about it before as I've always had a car.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hard to get a meal if you don't own a car
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 02, 2020 06:16PM
Going to guess most places with a drive through don't allow pedestrians due to prior lawsuits.

Posted by: d4
Date: April 02, 2020 06:22PM
I just went to KFC an hour ago. The one near me had carry out service.

From KFC
"Dining Room closed. Drive-Thru and Carry Out still open."

Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 02, 2020 06:37PM
Why do they require a car? Sounds crazy.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 02, 2020 06:38PM
mattkime

It does sound kind of crazy but like Cube said, probably because of lawsuits from pedestrians and bikers getting hit by stupid car drivers.

Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 02, 2020 06:40PM
AllGold
mattkime

It does sound kind of crazy but like Cube said, probably because of lawsuits from pedestrians and bikers getting hit by stupid car drivers.

Drivers or pedestrians under the influence or both, mix in an attorney and presto!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 06:53PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: April 02, 2020 06:52PM
Congrats on riding the bike. Exercise doesn't get any easier as you get older.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 02, 2020 07:13PM
So what does a trucker do? Can't drive thru with a big rig.

I read a few days ago, (maybe here?) that if you see a trucker at a fast food place, offer to drive thru for them. They are on the front lines and deserve some help.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: April 02, 2020 07:42PM
Yeah, apparently this has become a big problem for cross-country truckers.

I've had this problem a number of times through the years. A few months ago I landed at the Norfolk airport around 8 pm and every single place to buy food was already closed for the night. No problem; I see on Google Maps that my Airbnb is around the corner from a Wendy's. Got there at 8:56 to find they'd just locked the dining room, and nothing would persuade them to sell me a chicken sandwich. More to my surprise, I couldn't persuade anyone in the drivethru line to take my $10 bill and buy me one. Apparently not having a car made me really a suspicious character. I finally walked to my lodgings and ate some beef jerky from my backpack.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 02, 2020 07:42PM
C(-)ris, are there no grocery stores nearby or is your work in a food desert?

Call around to find a place that delivers. A few places near me are allowing carry out if you order online or phone in.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 02, 2020 07:47PM
Around here, many of the sit down restaurants are still open for take out. Some will even bring the food out to you, you just call them from the parking lot.

But we went to In-N-Out the other day, and I was wondering about the drive-thru model, as you'd be out of luck without a car.
Date: April 02, 2020 07:59PM
Filliam H. Muffman
C(-)ris, are there no grocery stores nearby or is your work in a food desert?

Call around to find a place that delivers. A few places near me are allowing carry out if you order online or phone in.

There are places around, I was just pointing out that it is an issue for some people without cars, or with very big ones. I’m trying to eat better so the fact that I can’t get fast food is helping me.

C(-)ris
Date: April 02, 2020 08:14PM
pRICE cUBE
AllGold
mattkime

Drivers or pedestrians under the influence or both, mix in an attorney and presto!

Eh, you can invoke 'lawsuit!' to justify any stupid thing.

I suspect someone at the restaurant just doesn't like cyclists. Restaurants might be surprised at our ability to purchase food and generally be respectable if given a chance.

---

On a similar note I once tried to take my bike into a Home Depot in Brooklyn. I mention Brooklyn so you understand why I didn't want to leave my bike outside.

I was told I was disobeying a sign. The sign did not exist. It was then explained to me that it was store policy - insurance reasons. (BS!) - So I can go grab a load of 2x4s and put them in a cart but I can't wheel a bike in while grabbing a couple of screws? They explained to me that if they allowed bikes in then they might have kids riding bikes through the store. I was not riding my bike but they were not convinced it did not create a risk.

My local home depot does not seem bothered if I leave my bike in the entry while getting an item for pickup. I think this is a reasonable solution. I haven't attempted to bring my bike in. It tends to be a pretty bike friendly community but I'm fairly certain I've exposed people to cycling tights for the first time. (Bike locked outside).

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 02, 2020 08:39PM
....what about begging.......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: April 02, 2020 08:41PM
mattkime
pRICE cUBE
AllGold
mattkime

Eh, you can invoke 'lawsuit!' to justify any stupid thing.

I suspect someone at the restaurant just doesn't like cyclists. Restaurants might be surprised at our ability to purchase food and generally be respectable if given a chance.

---

On a similar note I once tried to take my bike into a Home Depot in Brooklyn. I mention Brooklyn so you understand why I didn't want to leave my bike outside.

I was told I was disobeying a sign. The sign did not exist. It was then explained to me that it was store policy - insurance reasons. (BS!) - So I can go grab a load of 2x4s and put them in a cart but I can't wheel a bike in while grabbing a couple of screws? They explained to me that if they allowed bikes in then they might have kids riding bikes through the store. I was not riding my bike but they were not convinced it did not create a risk.

My local home depot does not seem bothered if I leave my bike in the entry while getting an item for pickup. I think this is a reasonable solution. I haven't attempted to bring my bike in. It tends to be a pretty bike friendly community but I'm fairly certain I've exposed people to cycling tights for the first time. (Bike locked outside).

We prefer the cycling shorts not tights in WI.

C(-)ris
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 02, 2020 09:00PM
I would push the drive thru on a bike issue...as in just do it. I have seen other people do it before.
Nothing will change unless you bend rules when needed...

If they say no, just tell them that XYZ drive thru down the street allows it. Be super friendly but firm. Then I would just sit there and wait til they take your order or they send a manager out to talk about it.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 09:00PM by Markintosh.
Date: April 02, 2020 09:00PM
C(-)ris

Even when its below freezing??
Date: April 02, 2020 09:07PM
mattkime
C(-)ris

Even when its below freezing??

If it is below freezing you should have your Carhart on over the tights tongue sticking out smiley

C(-)ris
Posted by: Wags
Date: April 02, 2020 09:24PM
C(-)ris
Decided to get some exercise and ride by bicycle into work when I need to go in, deemed essential. Definitely feel much better after getting two 7 mile rides in a day. I did realize that with all restaurants closed and fast food limited to drive through that it is harder to get food if you don't have a car. Every drive thru I've been to does not allow walk up or ride up service. Must be in a car. Most places aren't doing curb side either so you are SOL. Never really thought about it before as I've always had a car.

Don't know where you live, but here in Portlandia we are obligated to do everything by bicycle. When riding we are encouraged to ignore all traffic control devices, talk on cell phones, smoke pot, dress as ninjas, slam hands on car hoods if a driver does not ingratiate, and my own personal favorite, ride naked. I've seen Mickey D's drive-through when there were more bicycles than cars, and every cyclist was either clicking their tongues at the elderly motorists or scowling at the cars that refused to stop their engines while waiting. The City funnels approximately 97% of their transportation budget into converting traffic lanes into bike lanes.

In truth, I dig it. Been riding my 40 year old Bridgestone around town since before they invented Lycra. I ride to work a lot. Do nearly all my grocery shopping by bike. But I stay off the bike lanes as much as possible. I'm not in that big of a hurry anymore and I tire of hearing, "ON YOUR LEFT!!"
Posted by: August West
Date: April 02, 2020 10:41PM
Because I am acquainted with and have worked with disabled folks, I would happily tell such bicyclists what complete A**holes they are. Can't see past their own noses.

Wags

Don't know where you live, but here in Portlandia we are obligated to do everything by bicycle. When riding we are encouraged to ignore all traffic control devices, talk on cell phones, smoke pot, dress as ninjas, slam hands on car hoods if a driver does not ingratiate, and my own personal favorite, ride naked. I've seen Mickey D's drive-through when there were more bicycles than cars, and every cyclist was either clicking their tongues at the elderly motorists or scowling at the cars that refused to stop their engines while waiting. The City funnels approximately 97% of their transportation budget into converting traffic lanes into bike lanes.

In truth, I dig it. Been riding my 40 year old Bridgestone around town since before they invented Lycra. I ride to work a lot. Do nearly all my grocery shopping by bike. But I stay off the bike lanes as much as possible. I'm not in that big of a hurry anymore and I tire of hearing, "ON YOUR LEFT!!"

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 03, 2020 12:57AM
Wags

jest smiley

I bet the remaining 3% of their budget is spent converting standard intersections into traffic circles.

devil smiley
Date: April 03, 2020 01:03AM
freeradical
Wags

jest smiley

I bet the remaining 3% of their budget is spent converting standard intersections into traffic circles.

devil smiley

I don't know about the rest, but traffic circles are FAR superior to 4 way stops.

C(-)ris
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 03, 2020 03:11AM
C(-)ris
freeradical
Wags

jest smiley

devil smiley

I don't know about the rest, but traffic circles are FAR superior to 4 way stops.

If you grew up driving in New England, you'd realize what a disaster traffic circles or rotaries as we called them were. They were eventually all bulldozed into intersections.

If you were talking about roundabouts like in the European model - those are not traffic circles - not as we understood them to be.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 03, 2020 05:16AM
Integrating pedestrians into vehicle lines is stupid and risky.

McDonald's does carryout.

A ped could 'Phone it in and get curbside delivery.

But there will always be some people who can't fit in to the current paradigm.

If you don't have a car, I think the best bet would be to find an app for a place that delivers or does curbside, and you're willing to patronize.

I could walk to a few fast food places that meet the above criteria, but then the food would be cold before I got it home.

Somethings can be reheated with - ok- results, but not fries.

They gotta be fresh and hot.

And yes, I always want fries with that.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 03, 2020 05:45AM
Rick-o
So what does a trucker do? Can't drive thru with a big rig.

I read a few days ago, (maybe here?) that if you see a trucker at a fast food place, offer to drive thru for them. They are on the front lines and deserve some help.

Years ago another driver and I tried the walk up to the Wendy’s drive thru because the dining room was closed and were refused. Fortunately my truck had short stacks so I dropped my too tall trailer and we successfully went through the drive thru. Very annoying but policy is policy.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: d4
Date: April 03, 2020 07:42AM
Is a motorcycle ok for drive through?
What about a motorized wheelchair?

Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: April 03, 2020 10:54AM
Markintosh
I would push the drive thru on a bike issue...as in just do it. I have seen other people do it before.
Nothing will change unless you bend rules when needed...

If they say no, just tell them that XYZ drive thru down the street allows it. Be super friendly but firm. Then I would just sit there and wait til they take your order or they send a manager out to talk about it.

Is that an excerpt from the forthcoming book "How To Karen"?

If it is a posted rule and XYZ drive thru down the street has no such rule, then go to XYZ drive thru instead. Chances are if it is posted, it came down from corporate and no amount of wheedling, cajoling, or shouting at the manager of that one location while holding up the line for everyone who DID bring a car will change the rule in any way. A weak or newly-appointed manager might give in to your unreasonable demands "just this once" to get you out of his/her hair for the moment, but that manager will find out very quickly that there is no such thing as "just this once" and that not only will you demand the same exception every single time you go there because "they did it last time", you'll tell anyone who will listen that they'll cave and not enforce their own rules if you throw a tantrum when you go there.

If you have a problem with a corporate rule, take it up with the people at the corporate office who actually have the power to change the rule. Don't go on an entitled power trip with a local store manager that accomplishes nothing beyond stroking your own ego and causing him to hate society at large just a little bit more that day.

But most important of all... DO NOT ARGUE WITH OR IN ANY WAY ANTAGONIZE THE PEOPLE PREPARING YOUR FOOD!!!

Unless of course you'd like an extra helping of spit (or worse) on your burger.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 03, 2020 10:57AM
.....you've heard of f*** buddy.........can one get a 'meal buddy'......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: April 03, 2020 12:05PM
Not hard at all around here.

More than a few places — fast food to fast casual — offering free delivery, no minimum. Food to your door with the only added fee being the tip to the driver. Subway, Jack in the Box, Chipolte, McDonald’s, Chili’s, Jersey Mike’s Subs (Yum!), Little Cesar’s, Round Table, just off the top of my head.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2020 12:05PM by Blankity Blank.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 371
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018