advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
would you go outside ? (I did) plus Infection and Death count maps for NYC
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 11, 2020 03:29PM
to Costco to pick up prescriptions and some odds and ends. mask. gloves. bus and subway there. two buses back.
Tortilla chips 40oz, 100 watt LED bulbs (marked down 4-for-$5 bought two packs), Tyson Panko Coated uncooked chicken breasts, missing two of the generic OTC medicines, 1000 napkins at regular price $9.

Twenty people on widely spaced line to enter, wait time maybe 8-10 minutes. Checkout time 9-10 minutes (huge order in front of me). Everybody friendly. Greeted workers and others cheerfully-reciprocated. Saved unknown amount by picking up the stuff in person. Line for Aldi was not worth the wait-skipped it, buy bread locally.

Was I scared? Hell, yeah! Just take a look at the plague zones surrounding us here in Queens/NYC. Queens Boulevard, a super-main drag, mile after mile of closed stores, occasional supermarket, drug store, booze store and cigarette vendors. A couple of people max every block.

Wished every bus driver good health and thanked them. I was the only one doing that (?). Bus is free, boards through back door only, chain to isolate driver 6 rows. 3-5 people on buses. 4 per car on subway.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: would you go outside ? (I did) plus Infection and Death count maps for NYC
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 11, 2020 03:34PM
Like most things, regional.

If I was in Dallas right now, C19 would be the least of my worries, since they are under a tornado watch.

Here in suburban Sacramento, its sunny and 65, just went for walk, maybe some yardwork later. Maybe the supermarket. With only a fraction of the cases in NY, and the city being on lockdown longer than others, risk is far lower.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 11, 2020 03:35PM
Hope your staying safe. Costco offers home delivery for prescriptions.

"The Home Delivery pharmacy offers one-stop shopping for prescription medications. Costco members who want the value and quality of our products now have the convenience and privacy of shopping at home. You can order new prescriptions and refills for medications currently filled at Costco.com, 24 hours a day. They can be delivered anywhere in the United States. Costco.com offers a wide variety of non-prescription remedies, vitamins & herbal supplements and home health monitors & devices to help you manage your health. These can be located on the Health & Beauty section of this site."
[www.costco.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2020 03:37PM by Rolando.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 11, 2020 03:58PM
sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2020 04:18PM by vision63.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: April 11, 2020 04:14PM
Makes me glad I live where I do. Our county has had 3 cases and one death. Now new cases in 2 weeks. We still wear mask and gloves to go to the local grocery store which is our only venturing out. We are lucky to both be able to work from home. I attribute our low numbers partly due to being rural but even more so to the early action by our university (Ohio U). They were one of the first in the country to close and they did it while the students were on spring break, telling them not even to come back to town. If those 20,000 students would have come back to town I'm sure we would have a much different scenario playing out.

Athens, OH
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 11, 2020 04:51PM

Others not so lucky as myself
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: April 11, 2020 06:24PM
I go out every day. I don’t take the subway but occasionally take a bus, which is sometimes fine, but there have been times when there was not sufficient space around passengers. Not crowded but several feet, not 6 feet of separation. The best local transportation in terms of distancing is the ferry: I have not seen more than 4 passengers at a time so far. Usually one or two.

I am very concerned about what the huge operating losses will mean for the MTA.

Local stores have been pretty good. Some waiting in line is to be expected. Early in the morning is the best time to go shopping.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 11, 2020 07:06PM
hey, what am I? chop suey?

pop ~ 1.5M.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 11, 2020 10:41PM
We're up from 19 to 23 cases in my rural county. It feels like they're all next door. Two deaths so far, but since the first was in a retirement home I'd wager that bomb is going to continue to explode by the end of the month.

April 24 is still the advertised peak for TN. There's no way that's true out here in the sticks.

Meanwhile, the 10 yr old my daughter knows of is now over it. No real symptoms. This is from like a week and a half ago, when the confirmed cases was under 10.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 12, 2020 04:53AM
the 10 yr old my daughter knows

How are her family and friends (other contacts)?
Posted by: d4
Date: April 12, 2020 08:51AM
Steve G.
Tortilla chips 40oz, 100 watt LED bulbs (marked down 4-for-$5 bought two packs), Tyson Panko Coated uncooked chicken breasts, missing two of the generic OTC medicines, 1000 napkins at regular price $9.

Napkins?? Come on now.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 12, 2020 12:28PM
RgrF
the 10 yr old my daughter knows

How are her family and friends (other contacts)?

I have no idea. This friend of my daughter's is only so reliable to begin with. I do know they've been tested of course.

What burned me up yesterday was realizing the 2 deaths here are both from the local nursing home ... not a surprise, but there's zero info about covid-19 on their site, their FB page ... it's like everyone is supposed to know, or forget about it. But the only reason I know that is because I stumbled upon it at the state's website for statistics, who separately break down using home deaths and include the name of the nursing home.

Are the other 23 infected also there in the retirement home, or workers? No one knows. It's a secret known only to them. Contact tracing? Nope.

And there's no broad effort to think about this as a community. The two local rags still don't publish about the 2nd death online (it's a weekly "paper" found at the grocery store ...) and in regards to the first, they tell you to turn to page 8A for a statement about the first death from the nursing home. I don't get the printed version, and "page 8A" isn't a thing on their site.
Posted by: mspace
Date: April 12, 2020 02:36PM
In Manhattan (Inwood), and we go out almost every day. Mask always. To walk in the park and around the nabe to local stores. Everyone is doing 6' rule and relatively friendly.

Had to use subway one day, so wore gloves for that. Use intermittent hand sani and wash when home. Rented a zip car to do a Sam's run with a change of gloves for each way.

So far, so good . . .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 202
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020