advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Missed this one: Studies using TB vaccine against COVID-19...
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 11, 2020 03:56PM
[www.upi.com]

Trials of the vaccine, called Bacillus Calmette-Guérin, or BCG, are now underway in the Netherlands and Australia, with additional studies set to start in Africa in the coming weeks. The vaccine has been in use since the early 1920s, and it has long been part of the World Health Organization's list of essential medicines...

"Unfortunately, it's hard to predict whether and when there might be an effective vaccine, but if there is one, and it can be produced on a large scale, it will have a huge impact."

Indeed, "large-scale production" may in fact be the key with BCG. Although the vaccine has been in use for nearly a century -- against diseases like leprosy -- it is still desperately needed to address tuberculosis, or TB, in much of the world.

Although BCG is largely effective -- research suggests it prevents TB in up to 60 percent of children who receive it -- it may require multiple doses to work, which further stretches supplies...

Researchers working in Africa have suggested that BCG -- which contains a weakened strain of Mycobacterium bovis, a cousin of Mycobacterium tuberculosis, which causes TB -- may also increase the ability of the immune system to fight off other viruses.

Researchers in the Netherlands have started recruiting 1,000 healthcare workers, who are at high risk for COVID-19, in eight hospitals who will receive either the BCG vaccine or a placebo.

Another team at the University of Melbourne in Australia is in the process of putting together a study with a similar design, while researchers at the University of Exeter in England will be experimenting with the vaccine in elderly people, who are at higher risk for severe disease with COVID-19.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Missed this one: Studies using TB vaccine against COVID-19...
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 11, 2020 04:14PM
I heard about this. Unless I've missed some other medical experts chiming in, it seems like a bit of a shot in the dark.... Has it been used successfully to treat/prevent any viral illnesses?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 11, 2020 04:23PM
BCG is bacterial. Leprosy is caused by bacteria. TB is caused by bacteria.
SARS-CoV2 that causes COVID-19 is a virus.
Viruses work completely differently than bacteria.
I don't see how BCG would work in this setting. I'd need to hear more details before considering this anything more than another hydroxychloroquine debate.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 11, 2020 04:37PM
yes BCG is anti tuberculosis. I think I got a shot when I was a kid, I am not sure if it was BCG or something else.

But, BCG is also used to treat various forms of cancer. My Mother-in-law had a very early stage bladder cancer and after a surgery, she now does a treatment where they put some BCG in her bladder and she is not allowed to pee for 2 hours.

Another fellow MRF here had a similar treatment, if you search for BCG you will find a thread of mine from about 6 months ago.

I asked how a BCG works against cancer. I was told the BCG boosts the immune system. perhaps this boost in immunity helps with TB, some forms of cancer, and they want to see if it has any effect against COVID. It needs to be tested before a conclusion can be made. I do not advocate 'what do you have to lose" philosophy. I advocate careful scientific testing, at multiple locations by multiple INDEPENDENT teams.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 11, 2020 04:39PM
and not to mention there is a world wide shortage of BCG, which is why I asked about it. It seems hard to find. Imagine of everyone rushed to get BCG right now against covid, like they did with that hydroxychloroquine. A lot of patients that need the BCG against TB or Cancer would be left without a chance.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 11, 2020 04:44PM
S. Pupp
BCG is bacterial. Leprosy is caused by bacteria. TB is caused by bacteria.
SARS-CoV2 that causes COVID-19 is a virus.
Viruses work completely differently than bacteria.
I don't see how BCG would work in this setting. I'd need to hear more details before considering this anything more than another hydroxychloroquine debate.

This has a germ of truth to it.

There are bacteria that kill viruses, using enzymes to break up the foreign DNA, and there are viruses that are bacteriophages. And then there's this vaccine which seems to be very good at provoking an immune response.

This vaccine has been used successfully against a lot of infections that it wasn't designed to combat. It's even been used as an immune-booster in cancer therapy to provoke the immune system to attack cancer-cells.

It's quite possible that this bacteria can improve our defenses against viral predators. It's an interesting direction to take in our response to this virus. I'd like to see how it plays out.

Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 11, 2020 04:49PM
Thanks, space-time and Sarcany.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 11, 2020 05:00PM

these cures are getting far afield
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 11, 2020 05:09PM
I mentioned BCG vaccine on April 9 in the thread wondering if California has herd immunity for some reason. It is an interesting theory, I hope some study gains traction soon.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2020 05:10PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 214
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020