advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
man under stress suffers ejection issues
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 13, 2020 12:48PM
A 64-year-old French man accidentally ejected himself from a fighter jet during a joyride.

The man had been surprised by employees at his firm, who had organized a joyride in a Dassault Rafale B jet for him as a treat. When the jet was 2,500 feet above the ground and the pilot began to climb, the passenger panicked and reached for something to hold onto. Unfortunately, that something was the ejector seat button -- and the 64-year-old flew from the fighter jet.

He floated back to earth uninjured and the plane landed safely.

[edition.cnn.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: man under stress suffers ejection issues
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: April 13, 2020 01:04PM
Damn shame......
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 13, 2020 01:04PM
So, he suffered premature ejection?
Posted by: steve...
Date: April 13, 2020 01:07PM
That was a joyride he'll remember.

The plane, a Dassault Rafale B:

Northern California Coast
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 13, 2020 01:11PM
macphanatic

Newt? Newt, is that you?

Worthy guffaw.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 13, 2020 01:12PM
On a related note, I toured Dassault's N.A. headquarters, pretty cool!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 13, 2020 01:32PM
OoOH.. That is an Expensive premature ejection...
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 13, 2020 02:08PM
cbelt3
OoOH.. That is an Expensive premature ejection...

Yes it is. I'm surprised that there wasn't a modification to prevent such an occurrence.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 13, 2020 02:48PM
What happens in the cockpit at this point? I realize the Pilot returned safely, but how?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2020 02:50PM by Ammo.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 13, 2020 02:55PM
Ammo
What happens in the cockpit at this point? I realize the Pilot returned safely, but how?

A CRAPload of stuff happens.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 13, 2020 03:08PM
Ombligo
Ammo

A CRAPload of stuff happens.

I assume that stuff stayed in his shorts and got ejected with him.

I was wondering if there might have been some sort of automatic safety system to eject the second occupant after the first departs with the assumption that they're incapacitated and couldn't eject themselves within some reasonable time window.

Obviously that didn't happen, so maybe such a system doesn't exist or there's an override that was wisely used by the pilot.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 13, 2020 03:18PM

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 13, 2020 03:19PM
macphanatic

Premature ejectulation.

It is what it is.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 13, 2020 03:20PM
RTFM

Read The Flight Manual
Posted by: JoeH
Date: April 13, 2020 04:28PM
GGD
I was wondering if there might have been some sort of automatic safety system to eject the second occupant after the first departs with the assumption that they're incapacitated and couldn't eject themselves within some reasonable time window.

Another article on this that I read makes it clear that the pilot's seat should have ejected shortly after the back seat ejected, but failed to for some reason. The landing approach was made very carefully with the pilot aware that he could get ejected if whatever had filed to work was just an intermittent problem.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 13, 2020 04:31PM
That story is COMPLETELY insane.

I was lucky enough to get a back-seat ride in an F-16 about 20 years ago. I had to have a couple of weeks of training beforehand, and it damn sure included when to grab the ejection handles and when not to. Just handing a guy a flight suit and strapping him in without any familiarization training at all is nuts.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 13, 2020 04:33PM
.....caverject.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 13, 2020 06:08PM
I've read six different stories as to what happened.

It's sad that web logging has replace actual journalism.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 13, 2020 06:21PM
In at least two cases in the U.S. Navy, I think in A-6 Intruders, the co-pilot ejected, while the pilot continued on to land.
At least in the A-6, if the Pilot ejects, it automatically triggers the co-pilots seat, but the reverse is not true. The co-pilots ejection does not trigger the pilots.

In one of the cases - there was a "cold" catapult shot, and the A-6 was not going fast enough to safely get airborne... the LCO (Launch Control Officer) on the carrier called "eject eject eject", and the co-pilot did, just before the A-6 left the deck... going too slow. The pilot, however, stayed and managed to keep the A-6 flying just a few feet off the water, until he was able to gain enough speed to gain altitude, and go around, and land on the carrier - saving his aircraft.

His side-seat-mate was picked up by rescue helicopter, and got a thorough ribbing (but a good natured one) from his squadron for ejecting. Since the FCO called for them both to eject, he did the right thing, but it's the "Pilots airplane", and he had the authority to try and save his aircraft if he thought he could do it... in this case, he did. Not every pilot in Navy history who tried to "guts out" a cold cat shot was so lucky... My dad saw video (he was an F-8 pilot) of another F-8 essentially being "shot" into a wave that broke over the flight deck. The pilot didn't eject. He didn't make it. The cat officer was held responsible for launching the aircraft when the deck was pitching "down".

I don't know anything about the organization that owned the jet in this case... but I suspect someone in charge of making sure "passengers" had enough training is going to lose their job.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 13, 2020 06:27PM
Will Collier

I was lucky enough to get a back-seat ride in an F-16 about 20 years ago. I had to have a couple of weeks of training beforehand, and it damn sure included when to grab the ejection handles and when not to. Just handing a guy a flight suit and strapping him in without any familiarization training at all is nuts.

The Blue Angles seem to routinely take members of the local press for a ride when in town for a show. I wonder how much training they get before the flight, I doubt it's anywhere close to a couple of weeks. I think they do spend a bit of time explaining the details of the barf bags.

[www.google.com]
Date: April 13, 2020 06:36PM
GGD
Will Collier

The Blue Angles seem to routinely take members of the local press for a ride when in town for a show. I wonder how much training they get before the flight, I doubt it's anywhere close to a couple of weeks. I think they do spend a bit of time explaining the details of the barf bags.

[www.google.com]

Yeah, I'm sure that's true. What I did was a flight test thing, not a "reward" flight (I still threw up). But you can be damn sure they at least cover the ejection seat rules. (And even at that, it wasn't like I was in an 80-hour training course; it all happened over two weeks but it was an hour here for hanging harness training, another hour for water egress there, a couple more for low pressure training, etc.).

Speaking of which, it is possible for a back seater to trigger both ejection seats. There has to be; if the pilot is incapacitated by (for instance) a bird strike on takeoff, it's up to the back-seater to get the jet up to a minimum altitude and speed and then eject both of them.

The pilot on my flight let me know all that about three seconds before he pushed up the throttle...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2020 06:37PM by Will Collier.
Date: April 13, 2020 06:47PM
....they probably needed a pilot......inspektor......

Posted by: testcase
Date: April 13, 2020 07:47PM
ROTFL

Hey, at least he's alive to tell the tale.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: April 13, 2020 08:29PM
Hey Paul,

Crusader pilots are kind of a rare breed. The planes were parked in the 70's but they get together for reunions every year. I have a friend that's active in that group and he may know your father. Ask him if he knew a pilot - callsign "Gronk". He later flew for Western.

Mike
Date: April 13, 2020 09:07PM
....I....have.....a....tale.....to tell.....

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 13, 2020 09:18PM
flareslow
Hey Paul,

Crusader pilots are kind of a rare breed. The planes were parked in the 70's but they get together for reunions every year. I have a friend that's active in that group and he may know your father. Ask him if he knew a pilot - callsign "Gronk". He later flew for Western.

Mike

My dad retired in '77, after hanging up his flight helmet a couple years prior and being the head of aircraft maintenance on the USS Roosevelt (CV-42, Midway class). His last tour at-sea was the last cruise of CV-42, and, I think, also the last operational deployment of the Crusader as a fighter. They hung on until the late 70's or early 80's in their Reconaissance version.

I have a place in my heart for the F-8 Crusader... "Last of the Gunfighers".

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: April 14, 2020 12:29PM
GGD
Will Collier

[www.google.com]

I seem to remember a beauty queen accidentally ejecting herself from a Thunderbirds jet a couple of decades back. Or she might have just triggered the canopy popping off, I can't recall exactly.

As far as the barf bags go, the only training I got on that front was the crew chief handing me a couple and saying, "Don't puke in my jet." (I didn't. Get it in his jet, that is. I sure as hell filled the bag, though.)
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: April 14, 2020 01:33PM
hmmm...if my kid gets assigned the "strike" pipeline will I be allowed to have a backseat ride?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2020 01:34PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: April 14, 2020 01:53PM
Unfortunately not....not even wives get a backseat ride.
Date: April 14, 2020 05:21PM
.....wives usual say no....to any backseat.....action.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 240
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018