advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Would like a new gas stove / oven. Which brands should I avoid???
Posted by: spacescape
Date: April 15, 2020 07:28AM
Our stove came with our house (lower end Frigidaire). I do believe it was pretty much "new" when we purchased the house about six years ago and never loved it but it is what it is. After quarantine I'd like to start shopping "in person" but in the meantime I'd like to start researching some pros and cons of each brands.

Any help?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Would like a new gas stove / oven. Which brands should I avoid???
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 15, 2020 07:39AM
personal experience as well as that of a few techs we've had by the house over time.
Whirlpool made, whether their badge or someone else, is what you want to buy.
Unless you're planning on dropping biG$.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 15, 2020 07:44AM
I always look at Wirecutter and Consumer Reports

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2020 07:49AM by anonymouse1.
Posted by: d4
Date: April 15, 2020 08:06AM
Something to consider when purchasing a new range/oven: Many of them have digital tones, beeps, and 3-second jingle melodies. If this bothers you add it to the list of things to research thumbs up

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 15, 2020 08:13AM
Lots of folk swear by gas top/ electric convection oven hybrids. If I was in the market that's what I would look for. I love our convection oven, and it's over 20 years old now. Electric glass top .. not so much. Heat control is pitiful.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 15, 2020 08:22AM
With only one annoyance our Samsung gas convection oven has served well. The one thing I don't like is the grill covers. They are textured and have rubber feet. That makes cleaning them a real PITA, and because of the feet, I can't just put them through a self-cleaning cycle.

So pay attention to grill and burner covers, you want something that can be easily cleaned.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 15, 2020 08:41AM
and what cbelt says has been our experience (which my spouse insisted on, bless her heart). that's our config.
our gas cooktop was a disappointment for the 1st 6 months till it finally got fixed, so I wouldn't recommend it. That said, it has been trouble free for 14 years plus.
The convection oven has had a self-clean issue, apparently fairly common, after about 10 years. I replaced the pcb and that has more or less fixed it.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 15, 2020 09:55AM
We got a used glass top electric when we moved into our new home 7 years ago. While the heat control is very meh, it is SO easy to clean.....
Posted by: rouderon
Date: April 15, 2020 11:27AM
We're about to be in the market for gas range, as well as a refrigerator and dishwasher. I'll definitely be following this thread :-)

My only concern is those who post how they have had great success over the last 10-20 years with X-brand (heck, even 5 years). So much has changed over the last few years in that industry. I started researching appliances last year and, from what I see, the new appliances are mostly garbage that barely last through the end of the warranty, if then. This seemed especially true for Samsung.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 15, 2020 11:42AM
I would say glass top induction if it weren't so hard to find induction compatible pots. The Wirecutter does not have a guide for them yet. It has fast power adjustment, and a temp sensor can prevent burning.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 15, 2020 11:57AM
One thing I have learned about gas ranges is their operability in power outages. When the power is out at our house, the electric convection oven is gone and that's okay. But you can still light the stovetop burners with a lighter or match, so you can still cook when the power is out.

My mother has a very similar looking range, but there is a lock out that prevents you from lighting burners with a match or lighter. She is without any cooking ability when the power goes out, which is frequent in her small town. It's a real bummer for her. I need to replace her range or at least get her a simple camp stove for those moments.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: April 15, 2020 12:20PM
Start your research here for real world info on current appliances [blog.yaleappliance.com]

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: April 15, 2020 04:16PM
Markintosh
One thing I have learned about gas ranges is their operability in power outages. When the power is out at our house, the electric convection oven is gone and that's okay. But you can still light the stovetop burners with a lighter or match, so you can still cook when the power is out.

My mother has a very similar looking range, but there is a lock out that prevents you from lighting burners with a match or lighter. She is without any cooking ability when the power goes out, which is frequent in her small town. It's a real bummer for her. I need to replace her range or at least get her a simple camp stove for those moments.

There are still new, mass-market gas ranges sold that use battery ignition (9V battery or 8-AA batteries) for both the cooktop and oven (lights a pilot that goes out when you turn the oven off)
Posted by: Carm
Date: April 16, 2020 02:34AM
Get a gas range or cooktop they are going to be more reliable because they are a simple design. Gas valves and ignition starter.
We have a convection oven in wall/cabinet. It’s ok, only problem is that some reviewers complained about it warping eventually. (Read it’s caused by baking with a pan too close to the bottom causing the bottom of the oven to overheat and warp.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 167
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020