advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Gahhh... my CO2 canister is empty...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 15, 2020 04:16PM
... and I need to get a refill. It's the half-size (comes up to about your knee) 20L, I think it is, cylinder-- connected to a Sodastream via Freedom adapter.

The closest place I usually get the refill canisters is out, not surprisingly... so I have a choice between either a decent drive to get a refill, or possibly ordering something for delivery.

Looking at the options of Sodastream refills on Amazon, it's pretty terrible ... a two-pack of the 60L cartridges for $74??? Highway robbery...

Any suggestions? TiA

P.S. ... I guess I really have become dependent on/addicted to carbonated water! I wouldn't have thought it possible...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Gahhh... my CO2 canister is empty...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 15, 2020 04:23PM
It "might" be possible to get it filled at a welding supply store. They are 'essential' and are usually open.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 15, 2020 04:29PM
If you want to get a regular Sodastream canister, the place to do it is Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% off or $5 off coupon (but you still have to go to the store). But it's going to cost more if you're buying the canister as well, if you don't have an old one to trade in.
Date: April 15, 2020 04:35PM
Right ... as I said, I do have a place I could drive to, to get the 20L cylinder refill... it's just that I'm trying not to leave the house at all, if at all possible... that's why I'm trying to look into delivery.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 15, 2020 04:37PM
....why not just get those tablets that turn into seltzer.........or get alka seltzer tablets to toss in....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: flareslow
Date: April 15, 2020 05:44PM
I get my kegerator tank refilled at Marse Welding Supply on Hessmer in Metairie. It may take two trips. Drop off and return to pick up full tank. Nice people there.

Mike
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: April 15, 2020 06:20PM
I faced the same problem two weeks ago, but I called and my place was open (I guess restaurants are still doing takeout drinks) so I bicycled up there and got it refilled. Easy peasy, and we stayed six feet apart the whole time.

You might find a place that will do an exchange at your front door, as they would for a bar or restaurant, but you'd be trading your hydrotest date for whatever cylinder they brought you. Or perhaps there's some healthy young person in your orbit, or a taxi driver you could task with taking your canister for a quick refill.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 15, 2020 07:41PM
cbelt3
It "might" be possible to get it filled at a welding supply store. They are 'essential' and are usually open.

yes, that's where my keg cooler owning friends get theirs done. In the past, my buddy took them to work and had the fire safety store next door fill them. He even "certified" my tank last time, as it obviously never leaves inside my beer bar except to get it filled. No reason to hydroburst test it.

We did take an old CO2 fire extinguisher to my old work place and ran it in the hydroburst set-up until it failed, That was epic. The valve blew off the top at close to 4000 psi. Took the threads with it.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 15, 2020 08:38PM
Please post more info! We like our sodastream

Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: April 15, 2020 11:18PM
What info do you want?

When Sodastream discontinued the 130L canisters, I chose to buy this adapter hose and bought a 5 lb CO2 canister from a local place that I think serves bars and home brewers, and a surprising number of us Sodastream folks. I can't remember, but I think the canister cost me about $80. Nearly 9 months later, I just paid $20 for a refill. I drink roughly a liter per day, but I might have lost a little gas when the setup was new and I sometimes forgot to close the tank valve.
Date: April 16, 2020 12:14AM
Mr Downtown
What info do you want?

When Sodastream discontinued the 130L canisters, I chose to buy this adapter hose and bought a 5 lb CO2 canister from a local place that I think serves bars and home brewers, and a surprising number of us Sodastream folks. I can't remember, but I think the canister cost me about $80. Nearly 9 months later, I just paid $20 for a refill. I drink roughly a liter per day, but I might have lost a little gas when the setup was new and I sometimes forgot to close the tank valve.

Already PM'd mattkime with the info on my setup. I forgot to mention that I actually leave the tank valve open all the time, and I guess I was pretty good about making sure the setup was all tightened, because I didn't lose any gas over the whole time I used this last tank. I have a 20L tank, and that's lasted me about a year and a half to maybe two years, with heavy carbonation and perhaps 1-2L of water per day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018