advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What are you finally getting around to doing?
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: April 16, 2020 02:13PM
Most of us have a lot of time on our hands these days. Wondering what "round tuit" projects other folks have finally managed to accomplish. Myself, I finally did that new business website. Sorted and filed a couple of tall stacks of papers. Still working my way through sorting my digital photos. Maybe I'll finally get some printed!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What are you finally getting around to doing?
Posted by: Michael
Date: April 16, 2020 02:29PM
Thirty years ago when our house was built the siding was installed touching the deck boards. Not surprisingly, they gradually rotted in several places along the bottoms since they stayed wet. I've been watching it for a couple of years, not too worried since there's flashing behind the siding. Well, this week I finally replaced about 13 feet of it. I shortened the new pieces at the top where they slide in below the next pieces up and painted the bottoms and backs with BIN shellac primer to waterproof(ish) the pieces and nailed them in place. If only the paint hadn't faded a bit the newly-painted pieces would look perfect. As it is, I'll have my wife adjust the color on a couple of cups of paint and then I'll repaint them. A job well done!
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 16, 2020 02:37PM
Repaired a broken Missile Command sit-down arcade game that's been busted for ~10 years.
Posted by: Don C
Date: April 16, 2020 02:39PM
Three of the five doors to this house squeaked when opened. I finally got around to oiling the hinges and closers and I now have no squeaks.

Also working through a stack of discarding and filing.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 16, 2020 02:42PM
We had a cedar fence installed around our back yard about 15 years ago...lowest bid. Boy was that a mistake. It's been falling apart ever since. Most importantly we have a high water table and even though the builder user pressure treated posts, several have failed. Also, the rails were toenailed to the posts rather than using any sort of ties. Many of those have failed.

Fortunately most of those failures happen during windy storms in the winter, and the snow pack continues to support the fence. Now that it's melted, we've done repairs in 5 places so far. I think we're good for another season now. Next up is to pressure wash and re-stain the fence. The weather needs to get warmer for that project.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 16, 2020 02:46PM
......the 'hottie' neighbor on the 6th floor.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: d4
Date: April 16, 2020 02:49PM
Termite bait/poison traps inserted into the soil around perimeter of the house with an auger attachment to an electric drill. Rocks and pebbles in the soil. Not fun.

Posted by: Acer
Date: April 16, 2020 02:57PM
Digging out a footer drain that's been pushing water into the garage during heavy rain. The house is built into a hillside, so we're only going six feet or so along the wall into the hill to provide a proper outlet that was either never there or has been blocked. The drain pipe is old school, just clay pipe spaced with 1" gaps, surrounded with gravel. Standards have changed in the 50 years since that part was built.

This has been on the todo list for two decades.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: April 16, 2020 03:31PM
Getting more yard work done, as we are laying low on weekends.

Using the smoker more, most things require more time be smoked properly,
as we are laying low on the weekends.

Searching for my next car, while my current car has no issues at the moment,
as we are laying low on the weekends.

Getting bored not going anywhere, as we are laying low on the weekends.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: steve...
Date: April 16, 2020 03:51PM
I'm rebuilding a gate and fence that blew down last winter. It's actually a very pleasant activity since there's no time deadline.

I'm contemplating building one of these as my next project.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 16, 2020 04:54PM
Nothing. My life hasn't really changed that much from pre-lockdown. I'm putting off the list of things to do as much as I did two months ago, And I don't even care.

Retirement is pretty much lock down around here. I do what I want when I want to do it.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: d4
Date: April 16, 2020 04:58PM
Rick-o
Nothing. My life hasn't really changed that much from pre-lockdown. I'm putting off the list of things to do as much as I did two months ago, And I don't even care.

Retirement is pretty much lock down around here. I do what I want when I want to do it.

Be honest. You haven't changed your underwear in 4 days, and you don't even care. Amiright? thumbs up

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 16, 2020 05:00PM
Rick-o

Reminds me of a radio interview with a retired football coach I heard years ago. The host asked, "So coach, what are you up to these days?"

The coach replied, "I don't do a damn thing, and I don't start until noon!"
Posted by: Carm
Date: April 16, 2020 05:58PM
Hooked up surround with original speakers in house (it has 22 gauge wire). Wife didn’t like, Costco has klipsch small speakers and sub on sale right now, ordered them, arrived today. Ordered ceiling speakers for rear surround and a klipsch center channel. Changing out 22 gauge wire to 16.

Built a 42x95 barn door. Getting ready to stain/paint/hang.

Repainted a section of Side garage that wasn’t done right/finished by me two years ago.

Moved potted plants, need to redo piping for water.

Cleaned out garage.
Posted by: blooz
Date: April 16, 2020 06:05PM
Busy drinking coffee and making lists of things to do.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 16, 2020 07:05PM
Carm
Hooked up surround with original speakers in house (it has 22 gauge wire). Wife didn’t like, Costco has klipsch small speakers and sub on sale right now, ordered them, arrived today. Ordered ceiling speakers for rear surround and a klipsch center channel. Changing out 22 gauge wire to 16.

Built a 42x95 barn door. Getting ready to stain/paint/hang.

Repainted a section of Side garage that wasn’t done right/finished by me two years ago.

Moved potted plants, need to redo piping for water.

Cleaned out garage.

And I haven't even cleaned off my desk.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 16, 2020 07:37PM
I am realizing that it wasn't lack of free time that was the reason I never cleaned the house.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Carm
Date: April 16, 2020 07:48PM
wurm,
It’s my honey do list and since I have the time now. It getting done, not willingly.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 16, 2020 09:16PM
NewtonMP2100
......the 'hottie' neighbor on the 6th floor.....???

smiley-laughing001

Grateful11
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 16, 2020 09:24PM
Still at work 8x5 so not much different, only the surroundings. However my backup system has been acting up recently and Iw as attributing it to the driver (Seagate of course, an easy assumption), but after swapping in new drives, apparently it was the case. But then swapping out the case for another also fails?? What's left us the USB cable and the Mac. Since the Mac's pretty new, the cable is next?

Who'd a thunk it wasn't the Seagate drives?
Posted by: steveroberts
Date: April 17, 2020 05:20AM
Removed, reset, and regrouted large soapstone pavers on the front porch. Halfway there with that one.

Also, I downloaded the 90 day free trial of FinalCut Pro X. Learning that in contemplation of ditching Premier Pro CS6. Same thing with Affinity Designer and Illustrator CS6.

And, I'm reviewing/cataloging the digital family video collection using a really cool app called Cinematica: [www.xericdesign.com]

SR
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 163
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018