advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
?? Regarding the stimulus checks
Posted by: celliott
Date: April 16, 2020 03:27PM
So, I understand if you filed taxes for 2018 or 2019 and got a refund, they have your direct deposit banking information. Many of you have gotten your checks already. However, I filed 2018 & 2019 and each year owed a little bit- $69 2018 and $124 2019. I paid those taxes owed and obviously did not get a refund. So, they don't have my direct deposit banking info and cannot give me a direct deposit.

So, how do I get my stimulus check? Supposedly there is a place for people who didn't file a return to enter their banking info and they will get their check. But what about my situation? Anyone have any thoughts or knowledge? I've done a lot of searching but haven't found an answer.

When I go to the IRS site and enter my information to check on my status I get the message "Payment Status Not Available". According to their site, if I get that message it means I'm not eligible. I'm really confounded by this one.

Here's the text from their website explaining the message I got:
In certain cases, the Get My Payment app will be unable to tell you the status of your payment. You may receive this message for one of the following reasons:

- If you are not eligible for a payment (see IRS.gov on who is eligible and who is not eligible)
- If you are required to file a tax return and have not filed in tax year 2018 or 2019.
- If you recently filed your return or provided information through Non-Filers: Enter Your Payment Info on IRS.gov. Your payment status will be updated when processing is completed.
- If you are a SSA or RRB Form 1099 recipient, SSI or VA benefit recipient – the IRS is working with your agency to issue your payment; your information is not available in this app yet.

You can check the app again to see whether there has been an update to your information. Get My Payment data is updated once per day, so there’s no need to check back more frequently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2020 03:28PM by celliott.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ?? Regarding the stimulus checks
Posted by: hal
Date: April 16, 2020 03:41PM
they will send you a real check to the address on your last filing
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 16, 2020 03:45PM
....they are mailing physical checks later......they did the direct deposits first.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 16, 2020 03:49PM
Try entering your direct deposit info here. Thanks to Ombligo for the original link.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2020 03:50PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: April 16, 2020 03:54PM
rjmacs
Try entering your direct deposit info here. Thanks to Ombligo for the original link.

WE also paid in the last 2 years.
I filed this out yesterday, so today I got the payment status will be made to Bank Account #XXXXXX.

Steve
Posted by: Michael
Date: April 16, 2020 04:51PM
kurtzie
rjmacs

WE also paid in the last 2 years.
I filed this out yesterday, so today I got the payment status will be made to Bank Account #XXXXXX.

Steve

I'm getting the same message as did celliott. We, also, have owed taxes each year for years so the IRS doesn't have our bank info. But, the link goes to a site that is for people who don't need to file and it explicitly says don't fill it out if you get Social Security. We do get SS. I've half filled out the form but I think I'll hold off for a bit.
Date: April 16, 2020 04:56PM
......some people are complaining that direct deposits are going to wrong/out dated accounts......

Posted by: Bo
Date: April 16, 2020 05:23PM
celliot...I'm in the exact same situation as you but haven't filed 2019 yet.

I get the "Payment Status Not Available" (which as you noted implies we are not eligible according to the FAQ) but we should certainly be eligible. Not real sure what to do next.

The direct deposit info link a few have posted above simply takes my right back to the standard "get my payment" form which takes my back to the "Payment Status Not Available" message. Just a big circle.

If anyone navigates through, please keep this thread posted.
Posted by: Carm
Date: April 16, 2020 05:27PM
rjmacs
[www.theverge.com]
Getting same as OP. We have always owed. We would have broken even until the SALT 10K limit screwed us over.
Date: April 16, 2020 05:53PM
I'm not finding those links applicable or taking me to where I can enter my account into. Which link specifically are you using or referring to RJ and Kurtzie?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2020 05:53PM by celliott.
Date: April 16, 2020 06:04PM
celliott
I'm not finding those links applicable or taking me to where I can enter my account into. Which link specifically are you using or referring to RJ and Kurtzie?
They are referring to the one that works for most people that usually get a refund.

You fall under the “You may receive this message for one of the following reasons: if.. “
Date: April 16, 2020 06:15PM
Thanks Carm. While I understand that part of it, I'm referring to the 5 different links in the body of the IRS text not the links in their posts. Sorry, I wasn't very clear on that. The IRS links:
"GET MY PAYMENT",
"Filing requirement",
"Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here",
"Get My Payment Frequently Asked Questions page",
"Economic Impact Payments Information Center".

None of those links lead to a page that allows me to enter my bank account into. That's what I was referencing. I was just wondering where Kurtzie was getting the option to enter bank account info. the Non-filers" link doesn't apply in my situation or several others in this thread.
Date: April 16, 2020 06:18PM
Here's where people can enter account information. Note that it says it's for people who don't need to file taxes. If you click through, it is explicit about not using it if you get Social Security. That's what has stopped me, to this point:

[www.irs.gov]
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: April 16, 2020 07:02PM
FWIW, I filed using TurboTax in both 2018 and 2019, got a refund to my bank account in 2018 and paid tax from that account In 2019. Because of the 2018 refund the feds should have had my bank account info on file but they didn’t, so I had to use the Get My Payment link yesterday to enter the bank info. So the process has some flaws for sure...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2020 07:03PM by Yoyodyne ArtWorks.
Date: April 16, 2020 07:14PM
Thanks, Michael. I understand that's where people can enter account information. But, as it says, it's for people who don't need to files their taxes. My situation is different as I mention in the original post. I am required to file, I did file, it just happens that I owed taxes the past couple of years, so they don't have my bank information. And that's the crux of the issue I'm facing along with others who have not gotten refunds over the past couple of years.

That was my issue and that was my question. Not of those links addresses my situation nor do they take me to a place where I can enter my account info for the direct deposit. Couple that with the message generated on the site lead me along with others to the confusing message that we don't qualify- we do.
Date: April 16, 2020 07:38PM
That was my point celliot, because you usually owe, you don’t get past that point in the page. That’s the only link that’s valid for you.

The link rjmacs posted is valid for your situation as it is mine, my sister in law used that link a few days ago to enter her bank info. She usually gets a refund mailed to her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2020 07:42PM by Carm.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 16, 2020 08:22PM
Well I fall under the RRB(Railroad Retirement Board) I got a small refund last year, not even enough to cover our CPA's fees, but a few years ago for some reason our CPA stopped filing ours electronically. My wife checked the .gov website just today and basically got the same run around as 'celliott' did. Really not sure what we're supposed to do now.

Grateful11
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 16, 2020 10:04PM
Really not sure what we're supposed to do now.

I guess you get the paper check in the mail, although it may take a while.
Date: April 16, 2020 10:06PM
.....physical check are being mailed out......they said it can take up to or longer than a month for people to get physical checks....give or take......

Date: April 17, 2020 05:06AM
celliott
Thanks, Michael. I understand that's where people can enter account information. But, as it says, it's for people who don't need to files their taxes. My situation is different as I mention in the original post. I am required to file, I did file, it just happens that I owed taxes the past couple of years, so they don't have my bank information. And that's the crux of the issue I'm facing along with others who have not gotten refunds over the past couple of years.

That was my issue and that was my question. Not of those links addresses my situation nor do they take me to a place where I can enter my account info for the direct deposit. Couple that with the message generated on the site lead me along with others to the confusing message that we don't qualify- we do.

That's my situation, as well.

I'm reticent to fill out the form and submit it because I don't meet the criteria stated on the page. It would be useful to find out if others, in our situation, have done so successfully. If others have done it successfully, I'd go ahead and finish and submit the form.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: April 17, 2020 05:42AM
I looked at the main link for the heck of it, even though we normally get direct deposit of a refund and just 4/15 paid our small amount of taxes electronically from the same account. I was surprised that it said they didn’t have our bank information. Odd. I entered it..l

My other half's information yielded a message that they haven’t figured out what is up with him yet, or something. We file jointly, so maybe it’s confused?
Posted by: michaelb
Date: April 17, 2020 10:07AM
For social security, these payments should come via the same payment methods as your monthly check, so you don't need to do anything generally.

For those that didn't file and/or don't have direct deposit, you need to enter your info here:

[www.irs.gov]

Now, as a matter of fraud prevention, you probably should not follow links generally that ask for you to enter confidential banking info (I copied that link from my work website and that is reviewed and uploaded by our experts; but that means you are trusting me). so check the domain too and/or follow from a legitimate site you can trust.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: April 17, 2020 02:53PM
celliott
Thanks Carm. While I understand that part of it, I'm referring to the 5 different links in the body of the IRS text not the links in their posts. Sorry, I wasn't very clear on that. The IRS links:
"GET MY PAYMENT",
"Filing requirement",
"Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here",
"Get My Payment Frequently Asked Questions page",
"Economic Impact Payments Information Center".

None of those links lead to a page that allows me to enter my bank account into. That's what I was referencing. I was just wondering where Kurtzie was getting the option to enter bank account info. the Non-filers" link doesn't apply in my situation or several others in this thread.

I went to Get my Payment.
Then entered
SSN
Birth Date
Street Address
Zip

After that it said something about "Payment Status Not Available"
Either on that page or the next it had me fill out info from 2019 taxes, and Bank info.

now in get my payment it says:
You are eligible for the payment. Once we have your payment date, we will update this page.

We will deposit your payment to the bank account below.

Bank Account Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 17, 2020 06:20PM

Offered in jest. grinning smiley
Posted by: Bo
Date: April 18, 2020 04:22PM
Update:

Still getting the same "Payment Status not Available" message after entering my info but they have updated the FAQ as to why one would get this message now. The primary diffence seems to be the item about not having your data yet and that they are working on it.

The Get My Payment application will return "Payment Status Not Available" for several reasons, including:

You are required to file a tax return, but:
•We haven't finished processing your 2019 return
•The application doesn't yet have your data; we’re working on adding more data to allow more people to use it.

You don't usually file a return, and:
•You used Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here but we haven’t processed your entry yet
•You receive an SSA or RRB Form 1099 or SSI or VA benefits; information has not been loaded onto our systems yet for people who don’t normally file a tax return.

You’re not eligible for a payment (see Eligibility).
Date: April 19, 2020 09:10PM
....thanks for continuing to keep us stimulated.....

Date: April 24, 2020 09:03PM
I'm glad (for me) to report that I had success tonight. On a fluke I decided to try again tonight (Fri). I entered my SSN, Address, etc just like before, but this time rather than getting the "cannot process" message, it took me to a page to enter my information. Since I paid before, it asked for my adjusted gross income for 2018, the amount I had to pay, then my banking info. I hit enter and got a message saying that I had successfully entered my bank info and should expect a direct deposit of my stimulus.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 234
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018