advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do we have a favorite 64GB, and up (128/256), USB Flash Drive?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 16, 2020 03:48PM
Performance & price are main criteria..... material is immaterial. Would much prefer it not be spin to close, or have a removable cap. Slide cap, or mechanism are cool, as is no cap or slide. The propaganda scares me..., like when they list impressive read speeds, but no specific write speed. I’ve bought lots of Sandisk Cruzer type drives, and close to 2/3 of them are much faster than they’re rated. Keep the fast ones and give away the slow ones. I don’t mind waiting/lurking for a decent sale for drives that routinely go on sale. Reputable companies preferred, so no hassle exchange with any clunkers. I tend to buy these things with Staples Rewards, though the Beez is always an option, especially when something good pops up on a Deal O’Day or Lightning Deal.

Will trade a bit of write speed for significant cost saving, but still no writing dogs, please.
Oh, and nothing too ridiculously super small; I have gimpy hands, with poor dexterity, and have to have something easy enough to grab onto for insertion and removal.
Thanks!
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do we have a favorite 64GB, and up (128/256), USB Flash Drive?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 16, 2020 03:52PM
SanDisk Extreme is my preference.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 16, 2020 04:02PM
I like Patriot Rage USB flash drives. Performance is great, and I’ve not had one fail.
Their SATA SSD’s, on the other hand, have failed me 80% of the time.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 16, 2020 04:47PM
Whatever Wirecutter recommends.

I've had good luck with SanDisk Extremes. I seen them described as "SSDs on a stick".
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 16, 2020 04:57PM
Out of curiosity, what do peeps use flash drives for?

Ive never owned more than 1 or 2, and even then Ive prob only used them a handful of times.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: August West
Date: April 16, 2020 05:45PM
sneaker net, sys intall

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 16, 2020 06:38PM
SanDisk Extreme. I just got the 256GB version and it's just this side of a real SSD. An excellent product. I've used the 64GB versions for years (technically a different product) which are only a little slower than the 256 but both are way faster than 99% of the USB drives out there.

I believe the Patriot Rage and Kingston Hyper X are also good but I buy USB flash drives not on top speed for a single large file (though that's important), but on their ability to copy lots of small files quickly, which is the real advantage of SSDs. I know that the Sandisk Extremes are always great at this and frankly I don't know one way or another if the Patriot and Kingstons are as good.
Date: April 16, 2020 06:53PM
If size isnt an issue, a little SSD might be more bang for the buck?

This looks to be about the same cost (256 vs 256) but rugged... if you need that. True SSD speeds. Another $15 gets you 500 GB.

[www.amazon.com]

----

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 16, 2020 07:31PM
One of my 64 GB drives is a MicroSD card in a USB 3 Type-A nubbin reader, but you said nothing small.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 16, 2020 09:02PM
BernDog pointed me to one of these a few months back.

Very happy with everything about. Quite fast, in both directions.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 16, 2020 09:13PM
Filliam H. Muffman
One of my 64 GB drives is a MicroSD card in a USB 3 Type-A nubbin reader, but you said nothing small.

That is exactly what I'd been using for a couple of years with 128 and 256GB Samsung Evo+ uSD cards. I lost it for a month and bought the 256 SD Extreme to replace it and then of course found it again...

SD cards with good write speeds for both small and big files include the Sammy Evo+ and better and the SD Extreme and better. Apparently newer Evos (no plus) are also now very speedy.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: April 16, 2020 09:30PM
I've got a couple of the ones jdc points out. For tiny sticks, I get whatever is on sale at Amazon.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Date: April 16, 2020 11:21PM
Fritz
BernDog pointed me to one of these a few months back.

Very happy with everything about. Quite fast, in both directions.

Thanks. Was leaning in that direction. Probably gonna go that way for the 256's, but looking for something (eventually) cheaper for the smaller sizes.

Fill/Lew-- that's been the approach I've taken for some personal stuff (albeit w/ larger adapters) w/ the same mSD cards. Current situation needs a single piece solution.

jdc-- family (mostly in-laws) consolidation projects, so that SSD is a bit too extreme, though quite nice.

No love for anything by WD, HP, Lexar, PNY, ADATA, Corsair ? ? ?

I don't really want to speed test the sticks like I did w/ the older/mostly smaller (64gb tops) Sandisks.... pretty much just wanna grab n' go, and not get stuck in a (data) traffic jam... or have the wallet take too big of a hit.
==
Date: April 16, 2020 11:34PM
Buzz
jdc-- family (mostly in-laws) consolidation projects, so that SSD is a bit too extreme, though quite nice.

==

So no giant video/audio files?

Dropbox? Free... even with piss poor net it shouldnt take too long to even send a few GBs. I would go as far as to say anything less than 25 GB should go via DB.

All of those other drives are prob fine, but their R/W speeds are a giant crap shoot -- just google some test sites. If R/W speeds dont matter... if you are just sending some video to relatives... then buy the cheapest you can and just wait for them to load.

Or dropbox.

----

Date: April 17, 2020 12:09AM
jdc
Buzz

==

So no giant video/audio files?

Dropbox? Free... even with piss poor net it shouldnt take too long to even send a few GBs. I would go as far as to say anything less than 25 GB should go via DB.

All of those other drives are prob fine, but their R/W speeds are a giant crap shoot -- just google some test sites. If R/W speeds dont matter... if you are just sending some video to relatives... then buy the cheapest you can and just wait for them to load.

Or dropbox.

Just consolidating data from old systems for preservation and ease of access. Looks like largest is gonna on the order of about 200GB. The bulkiest stuff is music, photos, and video (kids, pets, grandkids, etc.). After initial main consolidation by person/family, the collective data will be aggregated by type; meaning mostly music on its own drive, photos on a separate drive, etc., where the 64's/128's will be fine. If any of the rels then wanna put some of the aggregated data onto DB, or similar, they'll be welcome to do so, and it should be easier for 'em then.

I'm OK w/ most of the read speeds for the buck, but since I'm the "project manager", the write speeds are kinda important at my end.
==
Date: April 17, 2020 01:22AM
Whatever works for you ;).

200 GB doesnt seem like that much... especially if you have comcast or some other net with fast upload. Plop it in the cloud and just share what you need. =)

----

Date: April 17, 2020 12:26PM
jdc
Whatever works for you ;).

200 GB doesnt seem like that much... especially if you have comcast or some other net with fast upload. Plop it in the cloud and just share what you need. =)

I'm family tech support, by default, and there's a handful of in-laws to deal with... probably 500 - 600GB total. I'd rather them have a USB drive they can take to their local millennial, than have to deal w/ cloud issues. Sure, if I could talk 'em all into Backblaze, or something like that, then they could put the stick's info up along with the rest of their stuff....
==
Date: April 17, 2020 02:48PM
again, you do you... Im just thinking what I would do.

flash drives dont plug into ipads or smartphones... but cloud access is easy...

I might be biased cause Im an all cloud person tho -- tens of thousands of files with a dozen clients all over the county would be impossible with flash drives. Had a client send me 18 GB of stuff this morning... meh, easy peasy, right to Dbox. Can see the files on my imac and my iphone.

Backblaze is for backup, not really cloud access, if that matters.

----

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 17, 2020 04:55PM
As for use; my college-aged kids need to use them fairly frequently.

In my work life, many municipalities are requiring SOQs (Statement of Qualifications) and bids be submitted on flash drives. One Parish (aka County) government is requiring 14 separate thumb drives for distribution for each SOQ submission.

BTW, it's spelled y'all
Date: April 17, 2020 05:40PM
Zoidberg
In my work life, many municipalities are requiring SOQs (Statement of Qualifications) and bids be submitted on flash drives. One Parish (aka County) government is requiring 14 separate thumb drives for distribution for each SOQ submission.

thats just stupid.

----

Date: April 17, 2020 06:25PM
Once the various family members' old data is aggregated, it is my hope to just give 'em their respective thumb drives, and then not have to deal with their stuff again until their current gear, and backup systems, age out.... if I live that long, and they have similar bad luck with their then aging equipment. I'm hoping they'll all get newer gear on a more timely basis nixt time around.

I would do things different for personal use, or for more tech savvy relatives, but I'm just playing the hand I've been dealt, for now.
==
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 18, 2020 11:42AM
I buy a 10-pack of alphabet-soup brand thumb drive every year or so for office sneakernet. Someone is always needing one for something or the other, and even if I have them sign a conctract in blood the drive seldom comes back.

Not super fast, modest size, but cheap. No failures that I am aware of.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 20, 2020 01:05AM
I labeled all my Zip disks "Stole From the Photo Lab"

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018