advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any suggestions for making use of first generation iPad?
Posted by: datbeme
Date: April 16, 2020 11:03PM
As I continue by Corona cleaning and decluttering, I'm trying to decide what to do with a 32GB first gen iPad. Can't remember the last time it was used, but I decided to wipe it and start anew—getting rid of apps and content I'll never use on it with the intent to start from scratch with a minimal set of apps.

It seems to be in perfect condition, but the OS is limited to the currently installed 5.1.1. Prehistoric by today's standards. Took me a while to figure out how to log in to iCloud with 2FA because the OS wasn't designed for it. You get a message asking to enter the 6 digit code from one of your other devices, but there's nowhere to type it in. The solution when prompted for the code is to try to log in again and type in your password immediately followed by the code (e.g. "correct-horse-battery-staple5555555"). Makes perfect sense. eye twitch smiley

I was actually crazy enough to try that as a long shot before having to google it, but I must have typed it in wrong. Sure enough, after trying it a couple more times, it eventually worked for me. Had to do it again [sigh] to get to the App Store, but that worked too.

Unfortunately, the first couple of Apps (such as Netflix and the like) that I tried are not compatible with this ancient OS. Anyone know of useful apps that are still compatible? This may be a lost cause, but if it must be useful for something, right? Or not.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any suggestions for making use of first generation iPad?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 16, 2020 11:14PM
The music app that shipped with iOS 5 is just about as perfect as it gets.

No unnecessary cloud BS and other nonsense.

It just plays music. What a concept!
Posted by: Don C
Date: April 16, 2020 11:34PM
My old iPad is aging out of usefulness as well. I was pretty much using it to use the Spectrum app to watch TV but that app does not work now. Other stuff is really slow. Pressing the home button can need several seconds to respond. Don't need it as a music player, I use my mid 2010 MBP for that so it might have to visit the Apple Store recycling bin when that opens.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 16, 2020 11:54PM
I had one that I only used to access library reading materials, worked fine until the day I handed it to the wife. Still works and can be used if you don't mind the shattered screen
Posted by: Carm
Date: April 17, 2020 01:55AM
Groundhog Day
Posted by: Cary
Date: April 17, 2020 05:13AM
I am using one as a time clock clock-i/clock-out station.
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: April 17, 2020 05:34AM
I have one and thinking about trying to use it for navigation in car.
Posted by: DP
Date: April 17, 2020 06:07AM
I wanted to turn my wife's iPad 2 into a Kindle reader for her but discovered that Amazon doesn't support the Kindle app for that old of an iPad. Unless I'm missing something-would anyone here know about that? Is there another app that can make an iPad 2 into a Kindle reader?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 17, 2020 06:26AM
I decided to wipe it and start anew—getting rid of apps and content I'll never use on it with the intent to start from scratch with a minimal set of apps.

I have mixed feelings about this. I do understand the desire of nuke and pave, but the risk is that some Apps are no longer available at the App store. I think there is a way to back it up to a computer, nuke and pave, and then upload older select Apps from the computer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2020 06:27AM by space-time.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 17, 2020 07:25AM
DP
I wanted to turn my wife's iPad 2 into a Kindle reader for her but discovered that Amazon doesn't support the Kindle app for that old of an iPad. Unless I'm missing something-would anyone here know about that? Is there another app that can make an iPad 2 into a Kindle reader?

We use the old iPads to access and read books through our library system*, only issue is that so many others now do this now there can be a wait time for popular tiles. There is also the Internet Archive that has made a lot of previously locked up material now commonly available. Original iPad won't work, iPad 2 still does.

If all else fails they make pretty good paperweights, if you still have papers that need weighing.

*if you don't have access to a public library system PM, we might be able to arrange a piggyback
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 17, 2020 07:50AM
As a master collection of user manuals, assembly instructions, parts lists, etc. in PDF form for all the products you own.
Posted by: DP
Date: April 17, 2020 07:54AM
RgrF
DP

We use the old iPads to access and read books through our library system*, only issue is that so many others now do this now there can be a wait time for popular tiles. There is also the Internet Archive that has made a lot of previously locked up material now commonly available. Original iPad won't work, iPad 2 still does.

If all else fails they make pretty good paperweights, if you still have papers that need weighing.

*if you don't have access to a public library system PM, we might be able to arrange a piggyback

Thx, R. Let me see if the Archives can help first. I have e-books already that my wife wants to read.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 17, 2020 08:00AM

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 17, 2020 08:02AM
FWIW... the only way I've found to get apps installed on an obsolete iOS device is if and only if you had the app for your iOS account during that time. I'm happily using my wife's old iPad Mini 1 which is stuck on iOS 9.3.5. Yeah, totally new apps like Disney+ no worky, and everything runs kind of slow. Amazon killed their old version Music so that won't work either.

[appleinsider.com]
Posted by: datbeme
Date: April 17, 2020 03:31PM
DeusxMac
As a master collection of user manuals, assembly instructions, parts lists, etc. in PDF form for all the products you own.

This is my favorite suggestion so far. Not that I would do that in a million years, but I like the idea.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 17, 2020 03:50PM
....can it be used......to spank.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 180
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020