advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Amazon Dot good for a teenager??? Or Do they need and Echo or Echo Plus for "good sound"?
Posted by: spacescape
Date: April 17, 2020 06:25AM
My son wants an echo dot. I just replaced our basement echo (generation 1 which was given to me) for a current generation Echo (so I could hook it up to our receiver when people are over versus using iTunes). The Echo Plus sounds better than the Echo but wondering "if" the DOT has acceptable sound?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Amazon Dot good for a teenager??? Or Do they need and Echo or Echo Plus for "good sound"?
Posted by: jardster
Date: April 17, 2020 06:40AM
All my kids have them and don't complain. They are usually listening to them relatively quietly in their rooms, so they don't seem to care that much. They are just happy that they can link it to their Spotify account so they can listen to their own playlists.

Re: Amazon Dot good for a teenager??? Or Do they need and Echo or Echo Plus for "good sound"?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 17, 2020 06:41AM
The Dot sucks (for sound) in my opinion. I upgraded an old Dot with an Echo in one room and decided to give the Dot to my daughter for music in her room. She's no audiophile but she immediately complained about the sound. Instead of getting another Echo, I bought her a speaker for it. The cool thing was that the Dot nestled into a little cubby on top of the speaker so for all intents and purposes, it was an Echo. Even better, it would also run on a rechargeable battery so she could take it with her. Although she mostly leaves it plugged in on her dresser. Plus the speaker alone was cheaper than a new Echo. But this worked only b/c I had the extra Dot already.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 17, 2020 07:02AM
Your ears may vary...

Having grown up with the audio quality of a tinny little AM radio (including the crystal radio I built with the ear 'bud'), once I bought my own 70's Kenwood stereo with decent speakers I never went back to tinny little sounding gizmos.

My adult-ish children happily listen to tinny little speakers on their iPhones and Echo dots. I hate the sound. MY Dot is plugged into an external speaker bar sitting on top of an echo chamber for better sound, deeper bass, etc..
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 17, 2020 07:19AM
I hate the sound of small speakers as well. My 14 y.o. has discovered how I connect my phone to my 5.1 system! When we leave her alone, we come back and the house is rumbling and rattling!

I bought her a surprisingly good sounding generic BT speaker. She enjoys it

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 17, 2020 08:33AM
The Dot sucks (for sound) in my opinion.

It does, and for most of us, it should only be used for voice.

But you can pair a BT speaker to it or plug in an external, powered speaker system.

Even a cheap 2.0 or 2.1 speaker system would be an improvement.

If your son asked for a Dot, he may be willing to live with its sound.

And it can be upgraded as above.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: April 17, 2020 08:39AM
the latest dot has much improved sound over earlier versions and, as been pointed out, can be connected via bluetooth or plug to a better sounding speaker.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: d4
Date: April 17, 2020 09:00AM
Can you (your son) wait for the next Amazon Prime Day (whenever that will be)?
It'll go for around $20.

Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 17, 2020 09:01AM
Yep. The speaker I got lets the Dot "dock" so its essentially one unit. It has a nice right angle short plug in the back for a direct connection to the Dot. And like I said, it can be used w/o power so thats good.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 17, 2020 09:25AM
The speaker I got lets the Dot "dock" so its essentially one unit. It has a nice right angle short plug in the back for a direct connection to the Dot. And like I said, it can be used w/o power so thats good.

I had two of those, and the sound improvement, was very acceptable.

But they stopped short, never to go again, way too soon.

Maybe one day I'll try again, as a Dot in the bedroom with the speaker was nice for casual music listening.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 17, 2020 09:50AM
I also linked mine to a Bluetooth speaker for improved sound.

If you are going that route, take a look at the Echo Flex. Smaller and cheaper than a Dot but will do what he wants.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 297
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018