advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
2011 iMac "fresh OS install" on External SSD drive. Which OS???
Posted by: spacescape
Date: April 17, 2020 08:37PM
I realize it's a little long in the tooth and probably time to retire. However, it's an i5 and has a decent amount of memory in it (for the time). I finally setup my Lacie Thunderbolt Drive with a SSD Drive and did a restore/fresh install using the internet recovery method. The method I did use took it to High Sierra (Was on Sierra). I was thinking of leaving it at High Sierra but then remembered there was a reason I kept it at Sierra mainly "just in case" I needed Adobe CS 5.5 to access any older files. So, I might start start over and go back to Sierra and then upgrade my 2014 MBP to the latest OS and remove any apps I don't use.

Was High Sierra basically the same as Sierra but with a new drive format and 64 bit only OS? No real advantages?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 2011 iMac "fresh OS install" on External SSD drive. Which OS???
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 17, 2020 09:24PM
High Sierra is supported by Apple and a number of modern apps require it. I just upgraded from Sierra on my i3 iMac, seems fine.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 17, 2020 09:47PM
I'd go for HS. It's the minimum required OS for a lot of software nowadays and as pointed out, it's still supported by Apple (at least until September).

Posted by: sekker
Date: April 17, 2020 09:49PM
CS 5.5. should run fine on HS too.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 17, 2020 09:59PM
sekker
CS 5.5. should run fine on HS too.

Will need to install Apple Java for Illustrator.
[support.apple.com]

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 17, 2020 10:53PM
10.13.6. It's still getting security updates from Apple.
Posted by: spacescape
Date: April 18, 2020 08:21AM
Ok, I'll leave it at High Sierra... Too bad Apple this is the final OS update because with the SSD drive it's very much "alive". I think CS 5.5 is kind of buggy under HS though. Don't really use it much so maybe I'll just load Sierra and CS 5.5 on a separate drive "just in case". Or just leave my original drive loaded up "as is" for now.
Posted by: StingMe
Date: April 18, 2020 04:29PM
I have both Mojave and Catalina running very well on a 2009 iMac via dosdude's patcher for unsupported Macs [dosdude1.com]

There are some caveats depending on your particular hardware but everything is running smoothly for me except that the built-in camera doesn't seem to work with 3rd party apps (works fine with FaceTime and PhotoBooth but not Zoom). Collin (dosdude) clearly states in the support materials that a fully functional built-in iSight camera is hit or miss.

So just keep this in mind when you no longer need CS 5.5 on that machine...

EDIT: The camera issue appears to be more about Zoom & its requirement of a Metal-compatible GPU for video rendering. Collin provides a patch for Zoom and after running his script, the built-in iSight works fine with Zoom on both Mojave and Catalina.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2020 10:52PM by StingMe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020