advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What's a nice, modern NAS for hosting video at home?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 18, 2020 10:16AM
We never use our Synology 115 because it's super slow to load apps and pretty much any action pegs its CPU. I have not stressed it out by installing a bunch of apps or whatever. Only using Synology's Video Station app via the web interface to watch movies in a browser, or the app on a phone.

It mostly sits idle 24/7, slowly allowing its hard disk to gradually fall apart with "more bed sectors" over time. Don't let that last sentence be a red herring for you however.

Yes, it was basically the cheapest model at the time. And no, the speed of physical hard disk (and showing "good health") is not the speed bottleneck.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What's a nice, modern NAS for hosting video at home?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: April 18, 2020 11:15AM
I use a Drobo 5D connected to my iMac. All media is in iTunes but also indexed with Plex. The Drobo has been rock solid for reliability. I'm less happy with the reliability of the iMac.

I have thought of the Synology line many times and wondered if it would have been easier and more reliable. Perhaps newer models have better CPU's than the one you have?
Date: April 18, 2020 11:33AM
Oh without a doubt I could have bought a faster unit at the time. Like I said I had picked up pretty much the cheapest at the time.

My experience with Synology (their OS) is that it's reliable and you can set how manual or automatic you wish updates to be. Since everything is configured from a web browser, you delete the need to keep the interface also up to date, unlike with a Mac or PC.

The advantage of using a Mac or PC is that they automatically come with a fast CPU and RAM, the storage connection (and maybe in the case of Drobo, some processing power) being the bottlenecks.

When I had a Mac mini Core2Duo connected with a cheap external drive, it was a great iTunes server but then I had to keep the Mac on, or updated, or whatever. The NAS removes a big chunk of having to do that, and can be stuck into a corner.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 18, 2020 12:04PM
Is it the Synology's cpu or limited Ram that's holding it back? I upgraded the Ram in mine and it seems to be plenty fast.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 18, 2020 02:19PM
davemchine
I use a Drobo 5D connected to my iMac. All media is in iTunes but also indexed with Plex. The Drobo has been rock solid for reliability. I'm less happy with the reliability of the iMac.

REPEAT AFTER ME:

DROBOS ARE NOT PRIMARY STORAGE DEVICES!!

I hope you have reliable backups.

What's the budget? How much capacity do you need? How much room do you think you'll need moving forward?

You could get another Synology device, or if you want to go a little more power-user, you could go QNAP.

If you only have a TB or two to fill then a device with a two-drive mirror might do the job, and with SSDs getting cheap, you could go with mirrored 2TB or 4TB SSDs to max out the speed.

...But for a solid hard disk based video RAID I would lean towards no less than 4 drives in RAID5 or 6 with a SSD cache and both 1GbE and 10GbE ports to allow for higher speed connections in the future.

Yes, memory is important for an always-on device. You should not settle for the base-configuration of a NAS. You don't need to max it out, either. I'd consider 8GB the minimum for a RAID that's streaming video to your web browser.

You should also consider the processor: AMD processors generally fall on the low-end and they'll suck at rendering video. Intel processors rule this segment.

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 18, 2020 03:47PM
Having used both QNAP & Synology, I'm hooked on Synology. Better hardware and
much better support.
Upgrade to a 'modern' Synology unit, maybe a two-bay, DS218 series (Quad Core 64-bit ARM).

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2020 03:49PM by MrNoBody.
Date: April 18, 2020 03:56PM
macphanatic
Is it the Synology's cpu or limited Ram that's holding it back? I upgraded the Ram in mine and it seems to be plenty fast.

DS 115j, bottom of the barrel. And I knew that when I bought it. Marvell CPU. Doing anything it all reports like 99% usage. RAM is usually pegged at like 67% usage. This is why it can’t do anything fast.

It was bought to fill a temporary need to not have to use another Mac as server. 2TB Drive, maybe 4 I can’t remember. Nothing really gets added to it. But I desperately need to hook up a USB drive and back it up.

Years ago we would rip our DVDs and I’d rip CDs or whatever. All that basically stopped years ago. We’re in process of hopefully deleting the DVDs we don’t watch and re-buying a few movies on BluRay we don’t want to have to dance around on some subscription service to access.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 19, 2020 05:01PM
Can you buy a Synology with a Celeron processor (I set up a DS218+ for my Dad after BF, and it's a great little machine) to serve your multimedia, and use Synology's Central Management System to control both?

Synoguide has a nice overview here.

Migration should be easy-peasy.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018