advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What's a nice, external monitor ...
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 18, 2020 10:25AM
"for work." Color fidelity and whatever aren't important. I just need extra space to put MS Office windows, teleconferencing windows and so on. This Dell has HDMI and ... VGA on the back.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What's a nice, external monitor ...
Date: April 18, 2020 10:26AM
Oh, and my desk already has a VESA mount attached to it.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 18, 2020 10:48AM
I have had very good experience with Dell. I have one that's 14 yo and another thats at least 7. Both are 27" with USB 2 hubs.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: April 18, 2020 11:02AM
I might see about USB-C charging ports. I heard it's a thing now. (Nothing I own, not even personally, uses USB-C.)
Date: April 18, 2020 11:03AM
Fritz
I have had very good experience with Dell. I have one that's 14 yo and another thats at least 7. Both are 27" with USB 2 hubs.

I recall the chatter about them here years ago. Their upper-tier series, whatever that was. But someone makes them for Dell, yeah?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 18, 2020 11:38AM
Size?
Resolution?
Budget?

I've had very good luck with higher-end Dell; working on 2 right now.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 18, 2020 11:38AM
I buy mine on eBay, new or open-box.
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: April 18, 2020 12:46PM
I've got a Dell 27" 2560x1440 and it's excellent - Ultrasharp 2717D.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 18, 2020 12:58PM
Can your laptop charge over USB-C? If so, I would look at monitors that have a USB-C connection. One cable to connect to get both video and charging.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 18, 2020 12:59PM
also.

[outlet.us.dell.com]

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 18, 2020 01:05PM
anonymouse1
Size?
Resolution?
Budget?

That’s very important

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: April 18, 2020 04:04PM
anonymouse1
Size?
Resolution?
Budget?

Beats me. Let’s say I don’t want to constantly flip between 2 Outlook windows, two Word docs, two Excel docs, a video conference, and two File Explorer windows that won’t ever stay open on their own. (I truly hate Windows. Can’t believe something as basic as operating system windows won’t stay open.)

And then cut that wish list down by 50-80% .

Budget? I have $100 the company will give me for a travel computer bag I won’t need for a long time, and anyway we have 1 or 2 of those lying around here for later. My goal is to ask HR if they’ll spot me the money towards what I could actually use the most: a monitor.

They used to provide an external monitor for remote users but don’t anymore. Ironic, yeah?
Date: April 18, 2020 04:06PM
macphanatic
Can your laptop charge over USB-C? If so, I would look at monitors that have a USB-C connection. One cable to connect to get both video and charging.

No it’s has an old fashioned charger. HDMI and VGA only for video, and what are presumably two USB 2 or 3 ports. And an SD card port and headphone jack I’ll never use.
Posted by: Cary
Date: April 18, 2020 06:34PM
I have an HP 27F that I use at work - it's great. Only issue is no VESA, but I was able to buy an adapter so it's hooked up to an articulating arm.

Paid about $125 on sale, plus $25 or $30 for the adapter.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 19, 2020 10:53AM
Price and Size? If color is not critical, why not a TV?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: April 19, 2020 11:54AM
Rolando
Price and Size? If color is not critical, why not a TV?

Let’s say I’d kick in an extra $100 to bring it up to $200. I don’t know about a cheap TV; that’s why I asked the broader question describing the usage as best I could. But if folks don’t normally use a second monitor at home for random office type work, I understand. All I know is that space for more windows to be viewed at once would be welcomed.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 19, 2020 05:02PM
I don't know if this is any help at all but I'm still a big fan of my 32" HP Omen QHD (2560x1440) monitor. It has DisplayPort and 2 HDMI inputs. I think I paid about $160 for it, which was a really good deal at the time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018