The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Q: resetting CyberPower UPS after it power outage
Posted by: pqrst
Date: April 18, 2020 02:15PM
Hi there
Hope everyone is safe.
I've got a cyberpower UPS (200 watt unit) less then 18 months old, installed at a remote location. Power went out for 10 minutes and was restored (breaker was reset). But the ups didn't reset or go back to normal, so the devices hooked to it were not powered until a physical button on the top was pressed down for a couple of seconds a few hours later. Is this normal?
I wasn't counting on having to go the location to press the switch each time it was used. The load hooked to it was around 100 watts.
Thanks for any info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2020 02:16PM by pqrst.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Q: resetting CyberPower UPS after it power outage
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 18, 2020 02:43PM
In general, that's not normal. The U in UPS is Uninterrupted, and it should provide power from the battery while the main power is out, and switch back to main power when restored and recharge the batteries.

While power was out did the devices deplete the battery of the UPS and did the UPS shutdown due to low battery? That might have been it.

Another possibility is that the UPS detected an overload condition, and that button on the UPS that you had to press was a circuit breaker (not the normal On/Off button). I had that once when my wife didn't realize that she was plugging a vacuum cleaner into a UPS powered power strip.

Since you mentioned that the cause of the outage was a tripped breaker, the overload situation seems more plausible. What caused the breaker to trip? Was it something plugged into the UPS?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2020 03:28PM by GGD.
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 18, 2020 03:05PM
Also, which UPS is it, that 100W load seems pretty high for a 200w UPS.

Most of their low-end (350-450 watt range) UPS's list about 9 minutes runtime for a 100w load, and those tend to be optimistic. Your expectations might be too high for the UPS you got and the load you're protecting.

[www.cyberpowersystems.com]
Posted by: pqrst
Date: April 18, 2020 03:50PM
Thanks for the responses. I need to look over the situation more closely. The setup was meant to be more of protection from brief outages or surges. The breaker blew because somebody plugged in something not into the ups but the room circuit.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: April 18, 2020 04:28PM
Specifically, was that a 200 VA UPS, which would be rated for about 120 W, or was it a 300+ VA unit?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 157
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018