advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Have you booked any travel plans for the upcoming 12 months?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 20, 2020 12:56AM
Prices are the cheapest I've seen a long, long time for flights, hotel rooms, rental cars, etc. The only real unknowns are if you will want to travel at that point or not and if the airline is still in business and hasn't folded.

I can fly round trip out of my small regional airport in WI to Orlando, FL for $125 round trip on Delta Main Cabin pretty much anytime between June and when they stop taking bookings a year out. Those are usually almost $400 a person tickets. You can also rebook for up to 2 years if you cannot or do not want to travel at that date.

Hotel rooms that should be completely sold out at $300 a night are available for $180 a night, also able to cancel and rebook anytime up till the day before you are set to arrive.

I'm thinking about making a few reservations for weeks that might work throughout the next 12 months. I think I can do 3 week long vacations for less than 1 week would normally cost. Book one in June, one in late August, one in early December and see what the restrictions are and risks at the time and evaluate either going on the trip or rebooking for a later date. Only cash outlay would be the plane tickets, everything else you don't need a deposit for.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Have you booked any travel plans for the upcoming 12 months?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 20, 2020 01:43AM
Go for it! At worst it seems you are simply loaning the vendors money.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Bo
Date: April 20, 2020 01:48AM
Mexico two weeks ago...didn’t happen
Italy in July...doubtful this will either but we’ll see
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 20, 2020 02:31AM
Love to get a good deal at someplace near Disneyland -- was my daughters b-day wish in mid March -- but doubt there will be any.

No idea when they may reopen -- but Im guessing it gonna be chaos...

maybe Hawaii?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 20, 2020 04:48AM
We were supposed to see my wife's family in June, which has been canceled until next summer. The airline only allows books out 180 days, so we cannot rebook until Sept/Oct.

My son has a wedding next year and we are trying to figure out honeymoon ideas now. We have ruled out a cruise though.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Michael
Date: April 20, 2020 05:15AM
We were supposed to go on a Viking ocean cruise around the Baltic for 18 days, leaving this Friday. When Viking shut down their spring cruises, they offered 125% of monies paid toward a different cruise. Fortunately we had used Viking to book our airlines so we didn't have to worry at all about flight refunds. That day I rebooked the same cruise for August. We were planning on going in April because it's much cheaper than mid summer, probably because it's 20 degrees cooler (colder?) in the Baltic now vs. summer. With the extra 25% we can go at the height of the season, take an extra day trip, pay gratuities and have some money left over to buy stuff on the ship if we want to--or just boost gratuities to use every last dollar. We are also booked on a Viking river cruise to see tulips in The Netherlands next April. I pointed out to my dear wife that we could see a lot of tulips at Kroger, but she wants to see them growing out of the ground. Domestically, we're going to use our Southwest Companion Pass to go to Wisconsin in the summer, Boston in the fall, and the Grand Canyon next winter.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 20, 2020 06:05AM
At work we’re contracting people to work at our annual global conference as if it will still happen in September in Chicago. The other week the CEO said they are still planning on hosting it. One potential participant has said he won’t commit because of [edit-don’t talk about Fight Club]. Even though it’ll hurt the industry, our company, and pause a lot of folks’ professional development paths, I kinda hope it gets canceled.

It just seems like by Sept we’ll be mostly-kinda-sorta “opened up” but that many won’t want to attend. Or that whomever does attend will get sick. Like say, me. Or that everyone will have a mask and not be able to hear each other speak clearly, which is 99% of what happens at conferences.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2020 06:09AM by deckeda.
Posted by: blooz
Date: April 20, 2020 06:59AM
I had a salsa trip to Cuba lined up for this month but that, of course, went down the tubes. I'd like to think about going to Europe next year but I'm waiting to see how the course of this plague goes.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: April 20, 2020 08:09AM
Nope...and we have a major wedding anniversary coming up this summer...we'll just be heading off to our cabin in the mountains, assuming we're allowed to travel by then.

I would have preferred our honeymoon Caribean resort but it was destroyed by Hurricane Irma in 2017.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2020 08:10AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Microman
Date: April 20, 2020 08:37AM
Had our 50th Wedding Anniversary at Disneyland Hotel on February 14th. Just before the closure. IT was great. But very expensive. Have a trip with son and sig other in September. Hawaii Cruise, with Aluani stay. ITs possible that may be cancelled.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: April 20, 2020 08:44AM
Early June trip to Yellowstone & vicinity with sister's family is still booked. We figure the lack of international visitors this year should actually make it a much better park experience, and also allow us to more easily rebook lodgings later in the summer if needed. We booked stuff back in December because hotels were almost full already.

I've been watching international airfares closely for the fall, but nothing has yet been irresistable. Peru and Colombia around $300 r/t, Rio around $500. Spain in the $300s, Tel Aviv under $600, Cape Town under $700.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 20, 2020 08:59AM
.....I've been to paradise......but I've....nev.....er......been.....to me....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mstudio
Date: April 20, 2020 09:04AM
No flying plans, but we hope to take the car that gets the better fuel mileage and head up to Chicago and Wisconsin to visit friends and family. Whether it's this year or next remains to be seen.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: April 20, 2020 09:25AM
I went on a last minute trip at the end of February. I had a $450 SW credit to burn, but I found a flight with another carrier for half that, so I decided to save the credit (good until the end of August). Seemed like a smart move at the time.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 20, 2020 10:34AM
Contact SW, I'll bet that credit will be extended.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 20, 2020 11:20AM
.....does it count if people tell you that you should go to............

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Buck
Date: April 20, 2020 12:02PM
I will rebook soon to Canada, Europe, and maybe Asia.
As long as I don't get quarantined.
I'll bring the cowboy bandanas.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 20, 2020 12:09PM
We had Maui scheduled for mid March...it's rebooked for last week in October...I dunno.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: April 20, 2020 01:25PM
Still can’t fly to Pittsburgh for less than $400 r/t.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 20, 2020 02:55PM
I'm sure considering it!
I've been running hypothetical trip bundles (air and hotel) on Expedia for a couple "windows" later in the year.
There was a window early last week when 8-9 days in Rome over Thanksgiving time was under $700. Under $800 for a little better hotel, and under $600 if a hostel is OK with you (it's not for me).

I may book something "spur of the moment" for July, if we can get some clarity on whether July is even going to be possible to travel. Otherwise, I may book for Thanksgiving break (assuming we don't have to change our school calendar... which we very well might), or try to book in a few months for February break or Spring Break.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 20, 2020 08:00PM
I'm also typing in destinations for the hell of it. May book something in August, bec apparently one can get a refund if we're still on lockdown. I hope not!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2020 09:19PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: fauch
Date: April 21, 2020 06:35AM
No, but I never really book far in advance anyway. A few months tops. I would travel today if there was actually somewhere to go and something to do when I got there... Not making any solid plans until things calm down, there's no point. Things are just too unstable right now and no one knows when the madness will end...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 252
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018