advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any way to speed up Contacts in Mac OS X ?
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: April 20, 2020 12:02PM
For the last couple years, Contacts has been slow as molasses. Spinning balls if I edit a contact, move anything around, add a new Card. I've tried disabling temporarily its syncing with iCloud, which improves things quite a bit, but it's still slow. I have 2100 cards.

Wondering if there's a cache to delete, a .plist, a hidden file to wipe, a magic potion.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any way to speed up Contacts in Mac OS X ?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 20, 2020 12:12PM
I don't have an answer for you. I sync my Contacts between Mac and iPhone via my Google account and it works well, although I don't have anywhere near 2100 cards.

(Years ago I probably would have just used iCloud for that but at the time there was confusion about stopping syncing/deleting contacts potentially wiping out everyone on the other device ... and so I punted and Google never threatened me in that way.)
Posted by: Wags
Date: April 20, 2020 12:33PM
I've noticed that as well. Lots of dups in mine. Wish there was an easy way to fix that.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 20, 2020 12:37PM
Not directly related, but this is the problem I have with Mail on my Mac. It can take up to 5 minutes for it to fetch new messages. My other devices are fine.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 20, 2020 01:04PM

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: April 20, 2020 01:07PM
try starting in Safe. See if the issue persists.
Reboot with Shift key held

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 20, 2020 01:44PM
Wags
I've noticed that as well. Lots of dups in mine. Wish there was an easy way to fix that.

See "Look for Duplicates" in Fritz' pic.

Contacts gets slow when there are lots of contacts. Slower when it's syncing.

This has been the case since the beginning. Apple does not seem inclined to fix it.

...There is a rare bug where the AddressBookSourceSync process eats CPU. It's unlikely, but you can check it easily enough by opening Activity Monitor and seeing how much CPU it's grabbing.

Date: April 21, 2020 09:22AM
Fritz
try starting in Safe. See if the issue persists.
Reboot with Shift key held

Fritz: interesting. I did that and something has definitely made things better. I first turned off iCloud syncing in Contacts, then restarted in Safe Mode and opened Contacts, and started doing some major editing of cards, and while not exactly speedy, it was much better. The really interesting thing is that this morning (with iCloud synced again), in normal startup mode, Contacts is pretty damn smooth for the first time in at least a year.

What is your sense of what happens in Safe mode that would fix this?

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Date: April 21, 2020 10:07AM
man, I have no idea.
perhaps a stuck cache.
better minds may know.
sometimes Safe cures stuff that makes no sense.

!#$@@$#!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2020 10:13AM by Fritz.
Date: April 21, 2020 10:11AM
Fritz
man, I have no idea.
perhaps I stuck cache.
better minds may know.
sometimes Safe cures stuff that makes no sense.

Ha, that matches what I tried reading about Safe Mode for a hour last night. I saw what Apple says it does, but it didn't seem to explain the results I was seeing. I'm definitely adding it to the master fixit list in the future.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018