advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Vehicle shopping - now or later? yes or no?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 21, 2020 07:21AM
I don't NEED a new vehicle, I'm not even sure if I WANT a new vehicle.. but I do know that could change at any time.

I drive a basic 2009 Nissan Sentra, 100,000 miles. It mostly works fine but an AC compressor bearing is squealing until it warms up ($400 to replace), two tires will need to be replaced in the next year ($200), just minor stuff. I only drive about 300-400 miles a month now.

But I do miss having a pickup. Nothing fancy, just a basic RWD. Used is fine (and given PU prices far more realistic to my price point), I don't mind going back to 2012 or even skipping back to the early '90s.

Dealers are hurting, But will they hurt even more next month or in June? I hate making payments, so it would be a cash deal if possible

Part of me feels like I am just trying to talk myself into buying one. I don't need it but ....

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Vehicle shopping - now or later? yes or no?
Posted by: jardster
Date: April 21, 2020 07:44AM
My wife totalled her car just before this began, so we kind of needed to buy a new car. It was really interesting... 1st time doing it all via email (we were able to test drive the car she wanted before the shutdown).

Different dealerships had vastly different attitudes. Once I got a deal I was pretty happy with, I went to a few other dealers-- responses ranged from "we can't go that low" to "well we have to eat as well." In the end, I think we got a good deal. Looking at the price range paid (using USAA pricing guide and Edmunds), we paid far less than prior to the Covid-19 issues.

Posted by: M A V I C
Date: April 21, 2020 09:18AM
If the last recession is any indicator, the deals will be on new vehicles. People will hold onto their used cars.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: April 21, 2020 09:22AM
Just read an article that used car prices are cratering as well. No matter what you need, you should be able to get a great deal!
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 21, 2020 09:23AM
Can't hurt to shop around online and see what's available and at what price.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 21, 2020 09:33AM
yes cars will be cheaper. I'd figure out what I want nowish and expect to start shopping in a month or two. Then again, if you're looking used you're better off keeping an eye out to see whats on the market.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 21, 2020 10:15AM
did you see the lambo i posted yesterday? prolly a good price ...

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 21, 2020 10:18AM
I'm amazed at how car dealers ever put food on the table. Every offer is "as low as I can go why do you hate my family."
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: April 21, 2020 10:42AM
Acer
I'm amazed at how car dealers ever put food on the table. Every offer is "as low as I can go why do you hate my family."

They would say the same thing if you walked in and offered MSRP.

They won't sell the car if they aren't making money. Maybe not as much as they'd like, but still something.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 21, 2020 11:37AM
They used to have to pay on vehicles that were on the lot more than 30 days. Don't know if this is still the case though.
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 21, 2020 11:55AM
Depending on your needs, lease returns will be flooding the market this year.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: April 21, 2020 03:06PM
I decided to get a new or at least new to me car just as this pandemic hit. My mechanic sort of said the last time he worked on my car that "It is working fine now, you probably don't want to spend any more on it." He warned of a possible $2,000 repair in the future.
So, reading between the lines, he said to consider getting rid of it now, while it is working fine. I was going to get a 2017 Bolt that came back from a lease. The fed tax credit is expired on Bolts, but now Chevy is doing major discounts, ranging from $9,000 off or 5-6 yr 0% financing. That makes the price close to the used cars. This, along with me hearing that the Bolt is getting some big changes for 2021 makes me think the deals wil get even deeper.
Now, we wait and see.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Michael
Date: April 21, 2020 03:41PM
There is some discussion about reviving Cash for Clunkers. Given that the Feds are busy giving lots of businesses money, will the car manufacturers be far behind? It might be worth waiting on trading an 11 year old vehicle to see what Congress might do.

Here's an article: [www.motortrend.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 21, 2020 04:51PM
I was always under the impression cash for clunkers did far more harm than good.. at least in the long run?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 21, 2020 06:23PM
Since we are probably headed into a massive recession, I'd wait.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 21, 2020 10:47PM
jdc
I was always under the impression cash for clunkers did far more harm than good.. at least in the long run?

Depends. If you were on the low end of the socioeconomic scale, your selection of clunkers went down. Otherwise, the program worked as intended.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: April 22, 2020 06:51AM
Used car prices are good, prices lower due to low demand, should be a good time to buy a used car.

New cars, lots of good deals, few great deals. Let me explain

Most dealers are looking to lower inventory, they pay loan on their inventory and there is interest on those loans so they are trying to get cars off the lots. Dealers will sell cars for near cost (Most)

However many high volume dealers rely on back end money for hitting volume goals. A manufacturer may offer something like $50,000 for hitting 400 new cars in a month and dealers able to reach that will sell cars at a loss counting on that $50,000 bonus. Well, now these dealers are not able to hit the volume number to earn these bonuses.

Sales meeting on April 29th" OK guys, we're looking like we'll be about 2 dozen units short this month, get on the phones and call anyone who you saw or spoke to this month and get them in here, $100 spiff for anyone who makes an appointment that comes in today. Extra $150 commissions on every sale today and tomorrow, let's get these people in and move these 24 units" All because they want that $50k from the manufacturer and will spend thousands making sure they hit it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 222
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018