advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My Carpal tunnels are tingling... Need a better wrist rest.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 21, 2020 08:28AM
I think it's the less than ideal ergonomics of my home 'workstation. At work I have a nice gel padded wrist rest that is about 2 feet long and covers both the Windows keyboard and mouse area. At home my Mac keyboard and trackpad are covered by a shorter 'ergo bead' filled cushion. And it doesn't fit the extended Windows keyboard and wireless mouse. I get tingly fingers by the end of the day, and have been dropping things.

Weird keyboards aren't my thing... I'm at the point where I've collected a couple of obsolete Dell keyboards because that's what I'm used to. The label on some of the keys is worn off, but that's okay.

Any thoughts on a better wrist rest for my aching paws ?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My Carpal tunnels are tingling... Need a better wrist rest.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: April 21, 2020 09:50AM
Back in the '90s, I was big into studying carpal tunnel and work-related physical pain (married to a top physical therapist). The articles I wrote are way buried in the archives, but here's the gist in a short note:

Carpal tunnel, neck pain, shoulder stiffness, etc., etc. All of these have the same source: bad use of ones own geometry. There is no mystery, no bogey man, no rocket science. It's simply watching how one uses ones body. Here are the main tips to doing that:
1. HEAD: Find a way keep your head resting comfortably atop your shoulders; the alternative is to have your head being held up, day after day, by posterior muscles. NOTE: this doesn't always mean "sitting up straight"; changes in sitting posture, throughout a day, are natural and normal and quite ok. Simply find a way, each time, so that the head's weight (15 to 25 pounds!) isn't being held up by things attached to the spine. It's actually a cool trick to learn to find that 'sweet spot', where, like balancing a broom up on ones palm, there's not a whole lot needed to keep the head up top.

2. ARMS/SHOULDERS: Let the points of support, like arm rests and wrist rests, take the weight of ones arms. We're just typing, remember, which requires a shocking little amount of musculature to accomplish.

3. PAY ATTENTION: to body parts that start moaning. Carpal tunnel is the end point to a process that started a long time ago. Meaning: a whole lot of ignoring had to go on before ones wrists literally blow out (I've seen them swollen to twice their size). When a sensation is noticed, switch positions. Find a new 'sweet spot'.

4. Always always rest your wrists! I am shocked at the number of people who are suspending their entire arm weight in the air, and typing without any resting point from the shoulder girdle down. This puts a tremendous strain on the neck, let alone ones wrist area.

And the solution is easy: get a long gel or padded wrist rest. They come in two basic models: just the gel rest that you place in front of your keyboard, or the better solution, a one-piece gel and board platform that has an attached plate that goes under both the keyboard and the mouse pad, and one long pad connecting it all in the front. This keeps the gel rest and the keyboard and the mouse pad as one unit and makes it much easier to move around on your desk. Do a search on Amazon for ones that have an attached plate that goes under both the keyboard and the mouse pad, and one long pad connecting it all in the front. This way, with the keyboard velcroed down, everything stays in the same position, but even cooler is that you can take the whole plate and move it around, even in your lap if you decide to kick up your feet.

Again, the key to not stressing the wrists and all the tendons within, is to find a position where they aren't taking the brunt of the work. Wrist damage is simple physics. Don't overload the area, and they'll operate for a hundred years or so.

I'm also a big fan of that style of wrist rest you're referring to. The one I've used for a decade is the 3M super long model. Link below and image.

[www.amazon.com]

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: lost in space
Date: April 21, 2020 10:47AM
I've had similar problems. Changing positions is helpful, like varying the height/angle of the keyboard and its relationship to the wrist rest, but all kept within the range of comfort. Hand surgeon told me a big part of the problem is not only that we make such repetitive motions with a mouse and keyboard, but also that we work those muscles in such a small range of motion. Getting ambidextrous with the mouse also helped.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 21, 2020 11:04AM
Have you compared chair and desk height to your work environment? I have fewer problems when my elbows are at least an inch higher than my wrists when sitting at a desk.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 21, 2020 12:24PM
I have mild carpal tunnel syndrome. I've started using this one. It doesn't look very nice, but works much better than the memory foam wrist rest I was using previously. It's cheap, so no big loss if it doesn't work for you.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: April 21, 2020 12:43PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Have you compared chair and desk height to your work environment? I have fewer problems when my elbows are at least an inch higher than my wrists when sitting at a desk.

Spot on. It also tends to relax everything back up to the shoulder girdle.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 22, 2020 09:21PM
.......might be spider sense......tingling.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 223
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018