advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Helping the economy along...
Posted by: DP
Date: April 21, 2020 04:25PM
Took delivery of our new washer as our 20+ year old one finally went thru the wringer one last time. As the model we selected is common and the price around town is the same, we went with Home Depot as they were the only ones who would deliver! Lowes and ABC Warehouse would only deliver to our door and Best Buy doesn't deliver at all.

But I saw something I haven't seen before.

The two kids-I call them kids because they looked maybe late 20's, early 30's-took our old washer out and brought in the new washer but without a dolly! They used a thick heavy strap with two harnesses at either end. They got the harnesses over their shoulders then ran the strap under the machines. Then, the used simple manpower to lift the machines! Holy crap! Washers ain't light! Walked the old one up and out from our basement then the new one down the steps and in...

But I will notify HD that they didn't wear masks and when we asked them to wear them they simply said, "We can leave the washer by your door"!... OK... I mean, while my wife and I could've muscled out the old washer and muscled in the new one, we would've had to use a dolly. But we paid for delivery and removal, and, on another note, it's snowing here today and very windy, so that would've made it harder for us. Plus, we have no place to store our old washer.

But, they were here and gone in twenty minutes (I hooked up the hoses myself, etc.) and we did a Lysol spray fog and wiped down where they touched anything. Still, it was an independent delivery outfit and my wife just told me she called HD and reported it.

First world issues, yes, but we sure did miss having a working washer!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Helping the economy along...
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 21, 2020 04:44PM
yep, those straps are common. They use them for Fridges too.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: April 21, 2020 05:12PM
Well, I haven't bought an appliance in 10 or 15 years and the last one was a fridge. It's a good idea if you're strong and healthy and you lift properly, bend at the knees, etc., which they did.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 21, 2020 05:43PM
I have some of those - they work really well. Perhaps the only thing I've every seen advertised "as seen on TV!" that actually worked well.

It is what it is.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: April 21, 2020 05:51PM
That is why there is a high turnover in delivery people . After a few years of that you can barely move .
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 21, 2020 06:17PM
I'm sure washers, dryers, and refrigerators aren't as heavy as they used to be.

Still that's a fair amount of weight.

Was there any chance of a panel of the washer being bent as it was carried?

The bearing surface of one's back isn't all that flat.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: April 21, 2020 06:42PM
It seems to me nothing got bent or damaged. And I had to put it to work right away as we have had to get our laundry done other ways for the past month. Seems to work just fine!

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 21, 2020 07:49PM
That was how my 24 cuft fridge was delivered five years ago. Two guys with straps.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 21, 2020 08:02PM
The straps are called "Forearm Forklifts". They do work quite well.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 21, 2020 08:17PM
Good about the straps. Bad about being placed in an untenable position regarding your safety. We live in a strange time when no one can tell if their risk is zero or death.

FWIW, thanks for taking the time to report the delivery.
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 21, 2020 09:46PM
I have a set of those straps.
They are good for a lot of things.
Also good if you just need to lift up one end of something like a dresser, so that something could be slipped under it or removed, without having to bend down and hurt your back.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: April 21, 2020 09:58PM
Where’s Newt with the obligatory “Two Strapping Lads” reference? Slacker!

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 22, 2020 07:08AM

Oh, do tell.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 22, 2020 07:22AM
Tips and Deals

And no link for said product? Do I have to turn on the TV to place a “toll-free” order?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2020 07:23AM by deckeda.
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 22, 2020 09:22AM
When we got our new washer and dryer a few years ago, we told them we didn’t need delivery, as long as there was some way to get them up into the bed of our pickup - I could slide them back out of the bed down some boards at home. Oh, sure, they said, we can get them in the pickup.

So we waited outside with our little pickup next to the big boxes that they had wheeled out. Along comes this big guy who says they go in here? Yup, we said. So he bends over and picks each one up with his bare hands and pops it in the pickup. I’m sure they were north of a hundred pounds apiece.

Yikes. I guess he was well suited to his job.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 22, 2020 10:02AM
rgG
Also good if you just need to lift up one end of something like a dresser, so that something could be slipped under it or removed, without having to bend down and hurt your back.

Exactly! They are wonderful for lifting things that don't have great handholds, but can be lifted from below. And as long as you use your core (and not your back) and legs to do the lifting action, it's not so risky. Also, unless you move recklessly fast, they are fairly easy to control.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 22, 2020 10:13AM
$24 at Ace Hardware. [www.acehardware.com]

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 22, 2020 10:34AM
Yeah, the guys who delivered our Fridge a few years ago had the straps. It seemed effortless for them to get it into the house and positioned.

I was nervous about the fit, because there is only one spot it will go and it slid in there with about an 1/8" to spare. I wanted a more fancy model, (freezer on the bottom) but very few units would fit my space.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: April 22, 2020 11:47AM
I had two guys take a large upright piano out of a walk-out basement using those straps.

They said it was the second heaviest thing they moved that day...after a pool table at a prior job.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 182
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018