Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Attention A10 Warthogs lovers, plane will fly until 2040s
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 22, 2020 12:58AM

[www.popularmechanics.com]

The U.S. Air Force has decided to keep the A-10 “Warthog” close air support jet in service until 2040. The jet, designed to dominate Cold War battlefields, will still be flying 50 years after the collapse of the Soviet Union. That’s the good news. The bad news? The service is downgrading the jet’s mission, from one flying over tank columns on the ground to bombing bandits and insurgents in lightly defended airspace.

The Air Force, Air Force Magazine reports, plans to cut 44 jets from the A-10’s standing fleet of 281 aircraft. The remaining 237 jets will fly on in seven squadrons split among three active duty, three National Guard, and one reserve squadron, respectively. Retiring a portion of the fleet will enable the service to fund upgrades designed to keep the A-10 flying along much, much newer planes, and tap into the Air Force’s new generation of networking and communications systems, boosting the airplane’s overall usefulness on the digital battlefield of the future.

The A-10 is being kept on one condition, though: it is no longer designated to fly over heavily defended battlefields. The Air Force is convinced the aircraft, designed to unleash missiles, rockets, bombs, and its GAU-8/A 30-millimeter Gatling gun is no longer able to fly over “double digit” air defenses. These include the SA-11 “Buk” surface-to-air missile system, SA-15 “Tor” surface-to-missile system, SA-24 “Needle” shoulder-fired surface-to-air missile, and the truck-mounted SA-22 “Pantsir-1” missile system.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2020 12:03PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Attention A10 Warthogs lovers, plane will fly until 2040s
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 22, 2020 02:59AM
well, it's a start.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 22, 2020 03:20AM
A-10, B-52, C-130, & CH-47 Chinook; useful tools that are difficult to replace!

takes a licking and keeps on ticking...

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Date: April 22, 2020 03:25AM
they will just buff that out.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: DP
Date: April 22, 2020 05:36AM
B-52

I still like the B-1. A beautiful aircraft. If I were Bill Gates or Jack Ma, I'd buy one...

This. grinning smiley

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: April 22, 2020 06:08AM
I have always loved the FB-111 and the B-1B aka Bone.

I worked on the test equipment for the bomb racks on the Bone. Really crazy but cool design.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 22, 2020 06:12AM
I am a big fan of the A-10 and am gladdened that it's been been given another lease.

It well deserves it.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: d4
Date: April 22, 2020 06:20AM
It's the Toyota Camry of jets.

Posted by: Bernie
Date: April 22, 2020 06:37AM
Boeing preparing to reopen CH-47 Chinook production facility in Philadelphia

Ah the "Egg Beater"

Nothing like calling a Cab an it having room for all your Friends and their Stuff. Much nicer ride than the C130, and they drove you to your door.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: STL
Date: April 22, 2020 07:08AM
Warthog ingress is not survivable against "double digit" defenses due to its inadequate speed
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 22, 2020 07:52AM
Hooah. Love that jet.

But the caveats noted at the end are big ones, and very real. No amount of armor can protect you from that big of a missile.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 22, 2020 08:06AM

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 22, 2020 08:22AM
STL
Warthog ingress is not survivable against "double digit" defenses due to its inadequate speed
Also it's REALLY non stealthy structure. Flying radar billboard that says "Wahoo I'm comin to lay some depeleted uranium on your butts !' And in IR its one big ol piece of twin engine sunshine.

It was designed for the "Fulda Gap" USSR invasion nightmare scenario (*), and armored to survive the mass light arms AA environment that was Vietnam. It was never designed to survive a heavy missile AA environment. The press release is a lot of bafflegab.

(*) I worked on systems for that scenario. That would have been a meat grinder... 1000 times the Golan Heights. An Israeli tank commander I met after that said the valley looked like the work of a million metal spiders, the webs of wire guided AT missiles glittering in the morning sun.
Posted by: DP
Date: April 22, 2020 08:42AM
I have always loved the FB-111

It's too bad it was canceled just as the last iteration got it right (FB-111F). A textbook case of government botching the procurement and development process.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 22, 2020 10:06AM
Racer X

One of the few aircraft where that might actually be true!

The A-10, and the B-52... their niches have shrunk, but they're still there!

The B-52 may actually be in service into the 2050's.... 100 years after the first one flew. I wouldn't expect very MANY to be in service by then, though.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 22, 2020 11:56AM
Yay, job security for our nephew.... he's an A-10 mechanic. Not sure he wants to do it for another twenty years, but he sure loves that plane.
==
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 22, 2020 12:05PM

Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 22, 2020 12:29PM
cbelt3
It was designed for the "Fulda Gap" USSR invasion nightmare scenario

The Uijongbu Corridor as well.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 22, 2020 12:35PM
cbelt3
STL
Also it's REALLY non stealthy structure. Flying radar billboard that says "Wahoo I'm comin to lay some depeleted uranium on your butts !' And in IR its one big ol piece of twin engine sunshine.

It was designed for the "Fulda Gap" USSR invasion nightmare scenario (*), and armored to survive the mass light arms AA environment that was Vietnam. It was never designed to survive a heavy missile AA environment. The press release is a lot of bafflegab.

(*) I worked on systems for that scenario. That would have been a meat grinder... 1000 times the Golan Heights. An Israeli tank commander I met after that said the valley looked like the work of a million metal spiders, the webs of wire guided AT missiles glittering in the morning sun.

My current boss was an Army helicopter pilot stationed in Germany during the hotter moments of the Cold War in the 80's, his main job then was patrolling the GDR/FRD border in a Blackhawk. He said they estimated life expectancy in the air over the Gap in single-digit minutes in the event of a hot war.
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: April 22, 2020 01:00PM
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 22, 2020 02:37PM
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: April 22, 2020 02:53PM
Speaking of old planes, the KC-135 refueler will be flying into the 2050s as well. Crazy!
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: April 22, 2020 02:57PM
Pressed rat and warthog have closed down their shop.
They didn't want to; 'twas all they had got.
Selling atonal apples, amplified heat,
And pressed rat's collection of doglegs and feet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018