advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Has anyone found a comfortable face mask?
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 23, 2020 04:08PM
I haven’t tried those pleated paper ones, the ones that come flat and flare out, but every mask I have made or bought drives me crazy to wear.
I have an N95 with valve that breaks my skin out and makes me want to rip it off my face.
I have made a few different kinds, but they fog my glasses and are also uncomfortable.
I hate when something presses down on my nose, so maybe one of those beak looking things would be better.
Does anyone have a style they would recommend? Not sure I can get whatever it is, but at least I will know what to look for.
I could probably sew something, if I had to, so if you know of a comfortable pattern, that would be cool.
Assuming masks might be part of our future for a while, I need to find something I can wear without going nuts. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Has anyone found a comfortable face mask?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 23, 2020 04:23PM
There's a trick to keeping your glasses from fogging.

Fold a tissue into a narrow strip and tuck it above the bridge of your nose under the mask.

Date: April 23, 2020 04:30PM
Sarcany
There's a trick to keeping your glasses from fogging.

Fold a tissue into a narrow strip and tuck it above the bridge of your nose under the mask.

I did read that. I will try it the next time I go out.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 23, 2020 04:31PM
Where I used to work they supplied us with 3M P100's, much better and more comfortable than N95's, Full rubber seal and vent to exhale like some N95's. Luckily I bought some 3M N95's about a year ago and use them during pollen season to keep me out of the Drs. office.

Grateful11
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 23, 2020 05:02PM
FWIW, those masks with the exhale valves allow an already infected, asymptotic wearer to infect people around them (no filtering on the exhale).
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 23, 2020 05:03PM
I also have a couple of N95s with the valve and one without. they both are old, but assume that they still work as intended, and yes, they drive me crazy, but I have only been to stores a couple of times recently.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 23, 2020 05:10PM
a couple of easy anti-fog methods: wipe them with dish detergent, rinse them off and wear them. Another way is simple to wipe them with shaving cream. In a pinch, you can spit on the lens, rinse off and wear.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 23, 2020 05:42PM
I’ve found the pleated ones the most comfortable. The pleats allow them to expand a bit so you don’t feel like the mask is laminated to your face.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: April 23, 2020 05:46PM
I just got this shemagh and love it. It can be folded to cover mouth, mouth/nose, or everything but the eyes.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Date: April 23, 2020 06:04PM
Marc Anthony
I just got this shemagh and love it. It can be folded to cover mouth, mouth/nose, or everything but the eyes.

Something like that would probably be fine in cooler weather, but it is already getting hot here.
I am mostly thinking for if/when I have to go back to work and wear one all day. My customer service attitude might go steadily downhill as the day wears on, and I have to wear the mask. sad smiley

Posted by: Buck
Date: April 23, 2020 06:08PM
I have a homemade mask, a cowboy bandana, and a camo gaiter. Don't like any of them.
Posted by: d4
Date: April 23, 2020 06:15PM
The pleated blue surgical type disposable masks are pretty good IMO. When you're heading home, just chuck it in the nearest trash can before getting back in the car. It's 50cents. Nothing to wash.

Because of the "stay at home" order you don't even need that many. In the past month, my wife and I have used maybe 15 total.

I just got back from a shop. Was in the store for 30 mins chatting with the owner. Had the blue surgical mask on the whole time while talking. It was fine for me.

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: April 23, 2020 06:18PM
I bought one of these:

[www.zazzle.com]

It is soft, washable cloth, with an inner pocket that allows you to insert a filter. Very comfortable. I have a similar cloth one that my sister-in-law made and sent to me. It doesn't have the area for a filter.

I also have a bunch of the disposable ones, which work fine except when I am using my camera: then my right lens keeps fogging up. But most of the time, they are OK.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Date: April 23, 2020 06:41PM
ka jowct
I bought one of these:

[www.zazzle.com]

It is soft, washable cloth, with an inner pocket that allows you to insert a filter. Very comfortable. I have a similar cloth one that my sister-in-law made and sent to me. It doesn't have the area for a filter.

I also have a bunch of the disposable ones, which work fine except when I am using my camera: then my right lens keeps fogging up. But most of the time, they are OK.

That poppy the opossum sure is cute.

Posted by: rexs
Date: April 23, 2020 06:44PM
I have an N95 with valve that breaks my skin out and makes me want to rip it off my face.

I found that I am allergic to some chemical used in particular brands of masks. I would start to feel like my face was burning. The nurses would bring me a different brand mask and dI would be fine.
I'm also allergic to Downey and laundry detergent with perfumes and dyes. I've wondered if there is a common substance used in each of them.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 23, 2020 07:45PM
It can get fogged up, but this looks interesting. Glass pot lid, pull hoodie drawstring around it.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 23, 2020 07:58PM
Filliam H. Muffman
It can get fogged up, but this looks interesting. Glass pot lid, pull hoodie drawstring around it.

smiley-laughing001

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 24, 2020 08:52AM
DeusxMac
FWIW, those masks with the exhale valves allow an already infected, asymptotic wearer to infect people around them (no filtering on the exhale).

Excellent point. Deserves repeating in a large, bold font.

Edit:
Bold works; can't get a large font, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2020 08:52AM by S. Pupp.
Date: April 24, 2020 09:07AM
S. Pupp
DeusxMac

Excellent point. Deserves repeating in a large, bold font.

Edit:
Bold works; can't get a large font, though.

I did know that about the valve.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 24, 2020 09:39AM
.....Waiting.....to.....Exhale......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018