advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Recommendations for Rock Chip in windshield
Posted by: Microman
Date: April 24, 2020 09:23AM
Friend asked about a chip in her Windshield. I know she should have it repaired, but what is the best way to go? Anyone have any experience with DIY or recommend a place to go that does that sort of thing.

I see YouTube demos on fixing it, etc.

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Recommendations for Rock Chip in windshield
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 24, 2020 09:27AM
She might want to check her auto insurance. Lots of them have windshield glass protection that will pay for chip repair 100%.

Safelite is the big US chain for that sort of thing. Basically pressurized clear epoxy and polish.

A home based kit is better than doing nothing. Follow instructions carefully. Clean surfaces are critical (Alcohol)
Posted by: msglee
Date: April 24, 2020 09:35AM
Put a piece of tape over it to keep out the dirt until she can get it fixed.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 24, 2020 09:39AM
She should just call her insurance. I've had Safelite do about 5 windshields. Yes, tape it immediately, and DON'T WAIT. My last one grew VERY fast until it was fixed.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 24, 2020 10:12AM
I tried a self-serve kit. It's pretty fussy and I don't think it worked for me.
Posted by: numbered
Date: April 24, 2020 10:50AM
During my last round of chip repair, the insurance and repair folks said that if the chip was bigger than a quarter they should replace the windshield...and as Racer X said, it can grow. We were on a road trip home when it happened, and watched the chip turn into a crack that grew six inches over the next 400 miles...
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 24, 2020 11:34AM
I had Safelite fill a small "spider" chip many years ago. It held for years and never got bigger. Eventually an accident required replacing the windshield.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: April 24, 2020 11:46AM
I just had SafeLite do a chip in my wife's windshield. They come to you and are done in about 10 minutes. Insurance covered the cost.

JoeM
Posted by: Buck
Date: April 24, 2020 02:50PM
JoeM
I just had SafeLite do a chip in my wife's windshield. They come to you and are done in about 10 minutes. Insurance covered the cost.
But then they will raise the rates, and you will pay for 2 windshields over time.
Posted by: dk62
Date: April 24, 2020 03:09PM
I did a self kit twice - worked perfectly on one car, not so well on another. May have been me having more patience the first time or I let it grow too much the second time.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: April 24, 2020 03:49PM
thin super glue and some packing tape, and a razor blade.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 25, 2020 12:39AM
Buck
JoeM
But then they will raise the rates, and you will pay for 2 windshields over time.

Maybe with YOUR insurer. Sure not the case with mine. With 5 repair visits in about 8 years, never raised my rates, beyond maybe a couple of bucks every year or two.

Maybe its just you.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Cary
Date: April 25, 2020 07:03AM
I recommend against chips in windshields.... :-)

However, if your friend does have one to fix, I've used Safelite, covered by insurance, a couple of times. Been pleased with results.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: April 25, 2020 02:39PM
I had a dime sized chip in my windshield a couple of years ago. Insurer suggested repair so I tried it. Unfortunately, the repair was directly in my line of sight and I found it distracting. They stepped up and authorized a replacement without any argument at all.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: April 25, 2020 04:10PM
Racer X
Buck
JoeM

Maybe with YOUR insurer. Sure not the case with mine. With 5 repair visits in about 8 years, never raised my rates, beyond maybe a couple of bucks every year or two.

Maybe its just you.

Yup, my rates were not raised afterward either.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 211
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018