advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Absolutely can't decide whether to cut pine trees around house and in woods
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 26, 2020 07:04PM
I had an emergency where a big pine tree was about to fall on the house with a predicted wind storm headed my way. The storm fizzled out but the tree was cut today and two more were get to get the first one to fall. My neighbor down the road works for a timber buyer and he came up to see if he wanted the three big "stems." It turns out the emergency cutter and my neighbor all knew each other and the head timber buyer knew them all. So we had a big meeting with my mom and thought we decided on cutting all of the pines instead of just the 20-30 that could fall on the house. In 45 years not one of these old huge trees have fallen close to the house, but they're about to start. The landowner next to us clear cut his, the wind from the west directly hits our trees now. The water table is also up so there will be some trees falling.

We started off just considering the ones that could hit the house, but the timber man "convinced" us (of course) to cut every pine and let the hardwoods take their place. I saw a couple of areas where huge pines had fallen and hardwood were starting to replace them and it was beautiful. But things will sure look different without the pines. The typical ones are about 17" in diameter and 90-100 feet tall. But they have gotten so big and there's so many, the pace looks "like a crazy man lives there" when you drive up. He didn't want to just thin it because he said a lot of the ones left will start falling and it will look strange with "spindles" here and there.

One plus for cutting is my neighbor who works for him can skid a lot of the trees to his property to load and can do most of the cleanup for almost nothing.

I keep going back and forth. Everyone who sees the place for the first time says how beautiful it is and if we cut the pines it will never be beautiful again for several years.

A lot of the hardwoods are white oak but there are not any big ones to speak of. There are lots of new ones that the buyer said would come up when the skidded trees plow up the old dead pine needles and the acorns the squirrels plant can get direct contact with the soil, plus get more sun.

Edit: There are 22 acres, about 1/4 to 1/3 with pine (guessing.) His quote was $24 a ton and $35 for pole timber, which there are several.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2020 07:07PM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Absolutely can't decide whether to cut pine trees around house and in woods
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 26, 2020 07:50PM
what would your families net be after all is said and done, and what could you replace some with to put the environment back on track?

Your family is just a custodian of that property, to be realistic, and I believe we can make some changes, but with that big of a chunk of the forested area, you need to help it along with its recovery.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: April 26, 2020 07:59PM
I don't know how much we'll get. It would be split four ways eventually. So not a lot, really. And we don't have a real need for the money. The head man said to pick up acorns and press them into the raw dirt where the skidded trees pull back the pine needles. One good thing is it would be interesting to help all the new stuff get going. Frankly, the pine trees have gotten boring over 45 years. And eventually all the pine needles will be gone. They are matted several inches thick. I burned a big section of them once and in 6 months, it looked like I never touched it. And we can't really grow vegetables now because there's not much sustained sunlight anywhere.

We've had lots of animals in the past - turkeys, deer, gray foxes, quail in the 70's, bobcats, pileated woodpeckers, hawks, owls, etc. Maybe by not being a mono-forest, the wild animals would increase.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2020 08:03PM by Dennis S.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 26, 2020 08:10PM
Sounds like it will be a nice place when it starts to recover. Yeah, just a plain pine forest is pretty boring. Might be nice to plant some apple trees in there, and maybe some deer might come back.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: April 26, 2020 08:19PM
There are still deer here and they will probably eat a share of the upcoming oaks I'm afraid. My sentence about all the animals was confusing. Some are gone and some are still here, but a I think they will all increase in a few years, except the quail and turkeys.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 26, 2020 08:30PM
7 acres is a lot.

You might consider contacting a local nature conservancy to see what they think. Of course, you might not like what they have to say. Hm, however, if you have densely planted pines in rows then it might be too monoculture as it is.

Replanting is potentially a big, slow job. IMO you should plant both slow and fast growing trees.

Date: April 26, 2020 08:38PM
There pines are scattered and grew naturally. I'm going to check with everything forest-service related in Arkansas tomorrow. The timber man said we should get enough to clean things up and get started in a new direction, plus our neighbor who works for him got laid of his main job and said he would clean things up real cheap.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 26, 2020 08:46PM
....Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 26, 2020 10:08PM
Of course it’s entirely your business, but the thought of cutting down a whole lot of beautiful pine trees if you really don’t need to kinda breaks my heart. It will take a lot longer than several years for trees to grow to that size again. I’d advise you to go slow and talk to someone besides a timber buyer about whether to cut them down or not.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Date: April 26, 2020 10:56PM
.....you may end up.....pine-ing for them later on.......

Posted by: MikeF
Date: April 27, 2020 12:33AM
Are you talking real life or Animal Crossing? After being cooped up for a few weeks, our family is having a hard time distinguishing reality from anything...
Posted by: tlh828
Date: April 27, 2020 05:31AM
I agree with Ammo.
Posted by: kledo
Date: April 27, 2020 07:11AM
White pine vs white oak……..what are you waiting for?

Seriously though, we had a similar conundrum last year. Taking out massive white pine and planting hardwoods (and cider apples) was the best thing we ever did for our property.

--Kledo
Posted by: davester
Date: April 27, 2020 10:36AM
A photo or two would be helpful. Difficult to venture an opinion on something aesthetic without being able to see it.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: April 27, 2020 10:44AM
.....just don't get taken out to the woodshed......still have flashbacks about that......

Posted by: modelamac
Date: April 27, 2020 12:13PM
You might take some of the $ and buy some small oak and maple trees to plant around the perimeter. Oaks are slow growing, and starting from acorns won't produce much of a woodlot in your lifetime.

Told my wife I wanted to be cremated.
She made me an appointment for Tuesday.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: April 27, 2020 03:36PM
Where in Arkansas are you? Howard Co.?

Don't forget to plant some redbud and dogwood in the understory while the oaks and other trees get established.
Date: April 27, 2020 04:42PM
We plant dogwoods all the time, but not many survive. We have some redbuds too. We had 25-30 big mature dogwoods die about 6 years ago after a dry summer. There we only about 6 now. I imagine a few will gt killed by cutting the pines.
Posted by: Michael
Date: April 27, 2020 07:30PM
Thirty years ago when we built our house, we cut down every pine tree on the property and left the hardwoods. They've grown beautifully over the years. We did have to have a couple of the oaks cut down 5 years ago because they had started leaning toward the house and I didn't want to take a chance on them falling and hitting the place.

I'd cut the pines and transplant a bunch of the small hardwoods around the property. And I'd fertilize them over the years. It will take a while, but they'll be great. If you need more seedlings you could check with the forestry folks. The Georgia Forestry Commission sells a number of species of seedlings. Two hundred fifty of them cost $160; 1000 seedlings are $420. Your state might have a similar program.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 202
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018