advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I'm close to the end of my course of vancomycin (antibiotic)
Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 27, 2020 05:10PM
Interesting drug. Taken orally, it is "poorly absorbed" because the molecule is so big it won't go through the intestinal walls.

But that makes it perfect for colitis from a C-Diff (Clostridioides difficile) infection, which I got from IV and oral antibiotics following an appendectomy. After the antibiotics killed all the other bacteria, the C-Diff took over.

I'll spare you the details, but let's just say I spent a lot of time on the toilet.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I'm close to the end of my course of vancomycin (antibiotic)
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 27, 2020 05:33PM
I am wishing that you are truly at the tail end of this thing, and have good health from here on out.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: April 27, 2020 05:36PM
C-diff is indeed difficult to kill as it walls its colony off, and drugs have a difficult time penetrating the wall. Hope you also got doses of probiotic bacteria, as they are what ultimately keep C-diff at low populations in the gut.
Posted by: p8712
Date: April 27, 2020 05:59PM
I took a single dose of clindamycin for small infected cyst on my neck. Being broad spectrum, and me being colonized with c diff (many, many people are), it triggered c diff for 34 days. Yeah....you live on the toilet.

Glad you're better.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 27, 2020 06:31PM
Interesting. I got Flagyl for mine. Did not like the side-effects.

I wonder why they didn't give me vancomycin. Seems more reliable.

Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: April 27, 2020 06:54PM
You folks sound like a fun hang!

Posted by: p8712
Date: April 27, 2020 07:22PM
Sarcany

Flagyl fixed mine, too.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 27, 2020 07:57PM
Sarcany

Vancomycin has many bugs that have not become resistant to it yet, more so than Flagyl. Best to use Flagyl first, then vancomycin if the Flagyl doesn’t work. MRSA is a bad thing.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2020 08:00PM by Speedy.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 27, 2020 08:05PM
Sarcany

Flagyl used to be first line treatment, but isn’t any more due to bacterial resistance to it. It is now a less preferred alternate treatment if vanco or fidaxomicin are not available.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 27, 2020 08:23PM
.....was it an on-line......course......????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 27, 2020 09:37PM
Man. I going to post here before any required procedure; you folks have been around the block
Date: April 27, 2020 10:18PM
I was only recommended to eat yogurt. I also have some kimchi occasionally and made a first-time-ever purchase of sauerkraut. wink smiley

I wasn't prescribed or recommended any probiotics, but have been looking them over and purchased some, and a little bit of probiotic yogurt. I'm not sure what I'm doing with probiotics yet.

I'm surprised about the Flagyl, too. Vancomycin is pretty expensive--or so I've heard, since the surgery hit my out-of-pocket max so insurance covered it.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 27, 2020 10:25PM
AllGold
Interesting drug. Taken orally, it is "poorly absorbed" because the molecule is so big it won't go through the intestinal walls.

But that makes it perfect for colitis from a C-Diff (Clostridioides difficile) infection, which I got from IV and oral antibiotics following an appendectomy. After the antibiotics killed all the other bacteria, the C-Diff took over.

I'll spare you the details, but let's just say I spent a lot of time on the toilet.

Even w/o your follow up post.
Sure 'splains the ScreenName really, really, too well...
==
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 27, 2020 10:41PM
"I'll spare you the details, but let's just say I spent a lot of time on the toilet."

I sure hope you had laid in a good supply of TP before Covid19 shortages hit. boink smiley
Posted by: DP
Date: April 28, 2020 08:14AM
No reason for you to have picked up C-Diff on top of everything else! So sorry you're still dealing with all this mess...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: mspace
Date: April 28, 2020 10:56AM
Yogurt is NOT enough.

I learned my lesson with this the hard way after high mold exposure. I kept getting "sinus infections", which turned out to be mold infections. Plus, I was taking antibiotics on top of that due to misdiagnosis. It wasn't until I started with the correct dosage of probiotics did the whole situation go away.

You need Acidophilus (Probiotics) to keep your body in balance anyway. To start, after antibiotics, pump yourself up with 50 BILLION or so a day for a short time. You can do this for about 2 weeks or so.

That sounds like a lot, but it's not. The reason it needs to be so high is because stomach acids kill of a lot BEFORE they get to the small intestine. The high amount means enough will be there to do the job.

Then use about 10-14 BILLION a day to maintain, if needed.

If you take a capsule form, find one that is enteric coated, to take less. The coating helps protect the contents from stomach acids.

I started with this-
[www.vitacost.com]

Again, you can't OD on this and it's all biotics that are SUPPOSED to be in your system. You are adding to what you have to balance out and not be so overwhelmed.
Date: April 28, 2020 01:03PM
Thanks for the probiotics advice, mspace. It sure would have been nice if one of the doctors had clued me in.

testcase
"I'll spare you the details, but let's just say I spent a lot of time on the toilet."

I sure hope you had laid in a good supply of TP before Covid19 shortages hit. boink smiley

Yeah, I really wished I had a bidet because I was burning through about 2+ mega rolls per day for four days or so. smiley-shocked003

Date: April 28, 2020 01:08PM
AllGold
Thanks for the probiotics advice, mspace. It sure would have been nice if one of the doctors had clued me in

It took a lone young doctor, after a bunch of others, to tell me one can have a yeast infection in any warm, moist part of the body. Then I found someone’s mix for yeast infections, where they actually gave amounts and why. Took what they recommended for the probiotics part and was good to go.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 28, 2020 03:03PM
mspace
Yogurt is NOT enough.

I learned my lesson with this the hard way after high mold exposure. I kept getting "sinus infections", which turned out to be mold infections. Plus, I was taking antibiotics on top of that due to misdiagnosis. It wasn't until I started with the correct dosage of probiotics did the whole situation go away.

You need Acidophilus (Probiotics)...

I went with Visbiome (VSL#3). About 112 billion per pill.

Date: April 28, 2020 03:21PM
Sarcany
mspace
Yogurt is NOT enough.

You need Acidophilus (Probiotics)...

I went with Visbiome (VSL#3). About 112 billion per pill.

That sounds good. It does need refrigeration. I chose Jarrow-Dophilus because it's room stable and enteric coated.

As long as the amount is high enough, the other thing to keep in mind is the spectrum of bacteria. The more different types the better.
Date: April 28, 2020 05:33PM
The only thing more bizarre than intentionally eating billions of live bacteria...

we are basically big bags of walking bacteria. smiley-laughing001

Date: April 28, 2020 06:07PM
AllGold
The only thing more bizarre than intentionally eating billions of live bacteria...

we are basically big bags of walking bacteria. smiley-laughing001

A little cannibalism never hurts . . . much! smiley12
Date: April 28, 2020 09:32PM
This is what I picked up the other day when I was at the store. I had no idea what to get and a lot of these probiotics are really pricey. I'm a cheapskate and this was cheap (cheaper in the store than Amazon).

[www.amazon.com]

But it sounds like since these are chewable that they are probably not too effective in getting past stomach acid. Possibly to the point of being useless?

Date: April 28, 2020 10:01PM
AllGold
This is what I picked up the other day when I was at the store. I had no idea what to get and a lot of these probiotics are really pricey. I'm a cheapskate and this was cheap (cheaper in the store than Amazon).

[www.amazon.com]

But it sounds like since these are chewable that they are probably not too effective in getting past stomach acid. Possibly to the point of being useless?

The spread is good, but it’s only 6 billion and not enteric coated. You really need 28 billion a day for at least two weeks right after taking antibiotics. So, you will need to take 5 of these a day.

You have to rebuild since the antibiotics kill off EVERYTHING. Then you can taper back to 14 billion for another couple of weeks. After that, you can test out maintaining with 7-14 billion, as you see how you feel.

Probiotics are not as “quick” as antibiotics in terms of feeling the results. When I used them for the first time it was like “tide gradually receding” in my sinuses. Very different than antibiotics for a true bacterial infection. But, it was exactly what was needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2020 10:04PM by mspace.
Posted by: fauch
Date: April 29, 2020 07:54PM
AllGold
But that makes it perfect for colitis from a C-Diff (Clostridioides difficile) infection,

My mother was in the hospital for MONTHS due to a post op C-Diff infection. My grandfather also had a nasty bout of it after a knee replacement. It's really a horrible bug. Feel better!
Posted by: dk62
Date: April 30, 2020 10:29AM
Another treatment for C Diff is fecal transplant. So instead of taking a capsule with cultured microorganisms you take someone else's coproculture. Depending on your level of tolerance, you may be better off with vanco.
Date: April 30, 2020 04:52PM
My Jarro-Dophilus EPS arrived today. That was super fast. I actually saw some at Kroger last night but it was a lot more expensive than Vitacost so I passed. I also picked up some Garden of Life 40 Billion CFU 15-strain at Walmart. It was on clearance and now I know why: Best Used by 12/2019. Oops.

I just thought of something kind of funny.

Whoever is responsible for counting the bacteria in those probiotics... that must be the worst job in the world. smiley-laughing001

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 265
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018