advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Blue Angels 40-min flyover today. Officials say don't go out to see it.
Posted by: d4
Date: April 28, 2020 09:19AM
"Residents should observe the flyover from the safety of their home-quarantine and should refrain from traveling to see the flyover. Stay home and stay safe!"
Awww... COME ON!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Blue Angels 40-min flyover today. Officials say don't go out to see it.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 28, 2020 10:06AM
What's the reason behind staging a performance during a pandemic?
Date: April 28, 2020 10:14AM
A formation of 6 F-16C/D Fighting Flacon and 6 F-18C/D Hornet aircraft will conduct these flyovers as a collaborative salute from the Air Force and Navy to recognize healthcare workers, first responders, military, and other essential personnel while standing in solidarity with all Americans during the COVID-19 pandemic.

[www.navy.mil]

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 28, 2020 10:17AM
No place I'd rather see them than from my place, if they were in the area.

I've seen them three times, two performances and one practice.

I'd consider traveling a short distance to some secluded viewpoint, but I imagine a lot of people would have the same idea.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 28, 2020 10:47AM
Will the planes remain 6 feet apart at all times?

On a similar "don't go out to see it request", NASA has asked people to NOT come to Florida to watch the first manned SpaceX launch in late May.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 28, 2020 10:56AM
GGD
Will the planes remain 6 feet apart at all times?

On a similar "don't go out to see it request", NASA has asked people to NOT come to Florida to watch the first manned SpaceX launch in late May.

Good luck with that. That's one thing I'd probably break quarantine for if I lived in FL and could find a decent location.
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: April 28, 2020 11:03AM
The Thunderbirds flew over all the hospitals in Las Vegas a few weeks ago for a similar tribute. It was great to see them from our backyard balcony.

[news3lv.com]

We weren't able to go to Aviation Nation last year, so this was a good consolation prize.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: April 28, 2020 12:14PM
The flyover is a wonderful tribute but for people in apartment bldgs with no balconies (or proper view) it will mean people go out and mix. Not a good idea. I remember when they flew low over Los Angeles with 747 carrying the shuttle to LAX. People crowded together to get good viewing spots.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 28, 2020 12:26PM
They are an amazing crew. All of them. I remember a Cleveland AIrshow show by the Thunderbirds (USAF). I was at an Indians game, and one guy did a swoop down and vertical pop up right over the stadium. Blew the ballplayers hats off on the field, and the refs stopped the game for a few minutes while everyone applauded and the players caught their breath.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 28, 2020 02:02PM

Jersey
Date: April 28, 2020 02:16PM
Steve G.

Jersey

Dyaaaamn.... I see a few "mature" people in the photo as well. I thought they'd be wiser by now. I guess not. My friend saw it from his apartment window in Queens. It was literally 8 seconds. Low and loud thumbs up

Posted by: bfd
Date: April 28, 2020 04:51PM
Why not spend the $60,000 per flight that these exhibitions cost on more tests, or to provide more PPE to hospitals and workers in our stores?

What a total waste of money and resources.

Good grief. Like a flyover's gonna make this all better? SMFH
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 28, 2020 05:01PM
d4
A formation of 6 F-16C/D Fighting Flacon and 6 F-18C/D Hornet aircraft will conduct these flyovers as a collaborative salute from the Air Force and Navy to recognize healthcare workers, first responders, military, and other essential personnel while standing in solidarity with all Americans during the COVID-19 pandemic.

[www.navy.mil]

This has nothing to do with "saluting" anybody. It has everything to do with helping to keep the petroleum supply chain moving.

It is what it is.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 28, 2020 06:01PM
This is fiddling while Rome burns. The economy is in freefall, we desperately need to buy test supplies and PPE, and these guys are playing around wasting mass quantities of money.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: JoeM
Date: April 28, 2020 08:11PM
davester
This is fiddling while Rome burns. The economy is in freefall, we desperately need to buy test supplies and PPE, and these guys are playing around wasting mass quantities of money.

These were my feelings as well. I’ve been waiting to be told I’m a crudgemudgeon.

JoeM
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 28, 2020 08:43PM
JoeM
davester

These were my feelings as well. I’ve been waiting to be told I’m a crudgemudgeon.

SMFH indeed.

AND putting people in harms way needlessly. Of COURSE everyone walked outside, less than 6 feet away. HOW are you gonna see these guys from your kitchen window?

Unless you plan on traping some yardsticks to your hands and spinning in a circle... no way you can distance with a crowd like this.

This was thought up at the "highest" level, correct?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: April 29, 2020 11:15AM
While America Strong will showcase Department of Defense support to healthcare workers, first responders, military, essential employees, and aims to unite all Americans in the fight against COVID-19, it also fulfills critical training requirements for both teams. Pilots must execute a minimum number of flight hours to maintain proficiency. These flyovers will incur no additional cost to taxpayers.

old fogey smiley

Posted by: Janit
Date: April 29, 2020 04:12PM
I went up to my roof to look, but the flight path over Jersey wasn't close enough for me to see them. Sigh. There were 8 people up on the roof, all spread out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2020 04:12PM by Janit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 338
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018